The Student Room Group

MSc advice, not sure what I should do

have a 2:2 degree in environmental management (I graduated 2017). Obvs that was quite awhile ago and tbh I don’t remember too much. Also I’m autistic and adhd, which complicates studying.

I have accepted an msc in rural development, completely online part time course.

About two weeks ago I discovered an msc in geographic information systems (gis) and you only need a 2:2. So I thought yes great and applied. I’m still waiting to hear back, hopefully soon,

Also I have applied for disabled students allowance (dsa) with the rural development course uni. I’ve had most of the needs assessment and everything is kinda getting set up.

But and a big but. I really want to do gis, now if I don’t get onto the msc, then I plan to do a short course (which is another work for module), the short course is one of the modules for the msc and you can do the short course then use that towards the msc entry requirements.

Send help.

What do I do?

I think I really want to do gis and should unaccept the rural development course but I don’t want to unaccept that until I hear from the gis course people. Even though I don’t particularly want to do rural development anymore.

I need advice from sensible adults.

Also I assume if the needs assessment is completed I can just transfer it to the other uni if I get in.
Original post by Hexagon123
have a 2:2 degree in environmental management (I graduated 2017). Obvs that was quite awhile ago and tbh I don’t remember too much. Also I’m autistic and adhd, which complicates studying.

I have accepted an msc in rural development, completely online part time course.

About two weeks ago I discovered an msc in geographic information systems (gis) and you only need a 2:2. So I thought yes great and applied. I’m still waiting to hear back, hopefully soon,

Also I have applied for disabled students allowance (dsa) with the rural development course uni. I’ve had most of the needs assessment and everything is kinda getting set up.

But and a big but. I really want to do gis, now if I don’t get onto the msc, then I plan to do a short course (which is another work for module), the short course is one of the modules for the msc and you can do the short course then use that towards the msc entry requirements.

Send help.

What do I do?

I think I really want to do gis and should unaccept the rural development course but I don’t want to unaccept that until I hear from the gis course people. Even though I don’t particularly want to do rural development anymore.

I need advice from sensible adults.

Also I assume if the needs assessment is completed I can just transfer it to the other uni if I get in.

If you've already got a plan to do a short course if you don't get onto the MSc this time around, haven't you already effectively decided not to take up the rural development course?
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
If you've already got a plan to do a short course if you don't get onto the MSc this time around, haven't you already effectively decided not to take up the rural development course?

Yeah I think so. I’m very indecisive and anxious, I just don’t want to make the wrong decision. But yeah I’ve pretty well decided haven’t I.
Original post by Hexagon123
Yeah I think so. I’m very indecisive and anxious, I just don’t want to make the wrong decision. But yeah I’ve pretty well decided haven’t I.

There's no proven right or wrong decision here. You decide which route you think you can make the best out of, and that's the right path to take. Right or wrong isn't an external thing, it's internal, it's about how you commit and work on whichever route that makes it the right decision in hindsight.
If you do an MSc you "don't particularly want to do" then you will likely perform subpar or even not finish.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending