The Student Room Group

EPQ - what should i do?

I got 45/50 as my provisonal mark earlier on in the year and was told i would get an A* but when i went to check my grade it said i got 41/50 which an A. Although I know that an A is a good grade i am pretty ****ed that i have dropped 4 marks out of nowhere, my friend also dropped 4 marks which resulted her in also dropping by a grade too. My school said they would get back to me next week which is understandable since its results day today.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks
Original post by adeebaoxox
I got 45/50 as my provisonal mark earlier on in the year and was told i would get an A* but when i went to check my grade it said i got 41/50 which an A. Although I know that an A is a good grade i am pretty ****ed that i have dropped 4 marks out of nowhere, my friend also dropped 4 marks which resulted her in also dropping by a grade too. My school said they would get back to me next week which is understandable since its results day today.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Sounds like all the EPQs at your school have been moderated down by the exam board - this happens as the exam board will check the marking that your school completed, and if it is not up to standard they may make an adjustment across the whole cohort, such as the 4 marks subtracted here.
Your school should have made it really clear when they gave you your provisional mark that this still had to be moderated by the exam board before it became final.

As the EPQ is centre marked and externally moderated coursework you cannot ask for an individual review of marking as all your centre's work has been assessed collectively by moderation.. It sounds as though your whole school's marks have been reduced on moderation - this happens quite often - and the only way for them to change now is if the school pays for the lot to be re-moderated (and the exam board accepts that the marks should be higher). That's not very likely to happen.
Reply 3
Original post by Lemur14
Sounds like all the EPQs at your school have been moderated down by the exam board - this happens as the exam board will check the marking that your school completed, and if it is not up to standard they may make an adjustment across the whole cohort, such as the 4 marks subtracted here.

oh damn okay thanks
Reply 4
Original post by EBluebear
Your school should have made it really clear when they gave you your provisional mark that this still had to be moderated by the exam board before it became final.

As the EPQ is centre marked and externally moderated coursework you cannot ask for an individual review of marking as all your centre's work has been assessed collectively by moderation.. It sounds as though your whole school's marks have been reduced on moderation - this happens quite often - and the only way for them to change now is if the school pays for the lot to be re-moderated (and the exam board accepts that the marks should be higher). That's not very likely to happen.

okay tysm!
Original post by Lemur14

Is the adjustment the same number of marks across the entire cohort? I haven't got my EPQ result yet as I was away on results day so I'm just going to get them when I return to college. Although, I have spoken to three people at my college who did get their results and they've all dropped the same number of marks. Does this mean I will loose the same amount of marks as them?
Original post by Ponnken
Is the adjustment the same number of marks across the entire cohort? I haven't got my EPQ result yet as I was away on results day so I'm just going to get them when I return to college. Although, I have spoken to three people at my college who did get their results and they've all dropped the same number of marks. Does this mean I will loose the same amount of marks as them?

It's not always the same - it may be tapered across the mark range. e.g. they may decide the people with the most marks need to lose 5 but the number of marks lost reduces to just 2 at the bottom end or anything like that in either direction.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest