The Student Room Group

Lancaster University A100 2023 entry Applicants and Offer Holders thread

Welcome to the Lancaster University A100 2023 Entry Discussion.

Lancaster A100 2022 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7089695

For general information click: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/lms/medi...e-and-surgery/

For entry requirements click: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/lms/medi...-requirements/

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Does Lancaster always accept resits ? I got an A* A B in my alevels and I want to resit the B grade I’ve seen on the Lancaster website that they accept resits but they need A* A A grades. Since I already have an A * will they ask for an A* in my resit subject
Any help is appreciated
Thanks
Original post by awtumn23
Does Lancaster always accept resits ? I got an A* A B in my alevels and I want to resit the B grade I’ve seen on the Lancaster website that they accept resits but they need A* A A grades. Since I already have an A * will they ask for an A* in my resit subject
Any help is appreciated
Thanks

Hey @awtumn23,

Those are quite good A-level grades and really well done for thinking about what you should do next, in order to be closer to practicing medicine! (This can be really stressful)

In terms of medicine at Lancaster Lancaster DOES ACCEPT resists provided that you meet the GCSE criteria and the non-academic entry requirements. The required A-levels for medicine at Lancaster are ideally A*AA (if you are resitting) and there should be a reflection on your circumstances in your UCAS Personal Statement (this is actually quite a good opportunity to highlight your resilience and determination.)

In your situation, the A* that you have achieved should be enough and thus you can achieve an A in your resit to get your grades to A*AA.

I’m sure you’ve looked at this page to check the entry requirements : https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/lms/medicine/mbchb-medicine-and-surgery/entry-requirements/#tabs-493823-0

This page also contains some information about the contextual offer and criteria which might be useful.

Hope this helped feel free to ask any more questions.

Shaheer (Lancaster University Student Ambassador & Medical Student)
Reply 3
Hi All

Does Lancaster also use BMAT scores post-interview, i.e. when deciding who to make offers to? Or are offers just based on MMI scores?

Thanks in advance.
Hi All. I think for year 2020 the BMAT cutoff was 10.5. Does anyone what it was for last year and how many seats they have for 2023 entry.
Hello everyone, :smile:

As you may have noticed, this thread owner is @TSR George - an account used by TSR for several purposes including as a placeholder when a thread owner wishes to delete their account.

If you would like to be the new first post in this thread - you can!
To do this, please tag @04MR17 or @StrawberryDreams in this thread and ask for the OP to be changed to you.
Please do this if you would like to add additional resources into the OP and intend to stay around on the forums during the application cycle.

The owner of a thread will only be changed once - except if an OP deletes their account.

Please allow 48 hours for your request to be seen and actioned. This message will be posted into each of the 2023 applicants threads currently owned by TSR George.

Thanks all,

MR
Is lancaster a safer choice than queen uni belfast? Also what bmat score do you need?
Original post by benmathewjoseph
Hi, does anyone know if personal statement is used in the process?

I think they view it just to see if you’ve done relevant work experiencs/volunteering
How do I let Lancaster know I’m widening participation
Original post by Duecesusu

I think they only care about that when we get to interview. Then they ask for proof and stuff. Best to throw them an email.
what was the cutoff for 2021 entry
Still 1st page? Any1 know when interview invites come out?
Original post by nicknc
Hi All

Does Lancaster also use BMAT scores post-interview, i.e. when deciding who to make offers to? Or are offers just based on MMI scores?

Thanks in advance.

Hi @nicknc,

Apologies for getting back to you soooo late. To the best of my knowledge - Lancaster Medical School uses the individual BMAT scores against the cut-off (which changes every year) to invite candidates for interview. Following this, ONLY the OVERALL MMI interview scores are considered and thus offers are made.

This is what the website states, “Applicants are assessed at each station and given a score for their performance at that station. The station scores are summed and applicants ranked according to their overall MMI score. Those with the highest score will be made an offer of a place to study medicine.”

This might sound daunting (or maybe good news) but I think once you get to the interview stage, they set you to do well. All the stations are individually marked so one awful station doesn’t mean you have failed (beauty of MMI). From my experience, I found the examiners very friendly and encouraging, which helps you perform well.

Hope this helped and good luck! Feel free to ask any more questions.

Shaheer (Lancaster University Student Ambassador and 2nd Year Medical Student)
Original post by mediccandidate
Hi All. I think for year 2020 the BMAT cutoff was 10.5. Does anyone what it was for last year and how many seats they have for 2023 entry.

Hey @mediccandidate,

Yes, I think for 2020 entry they used a BMAT cut-off of 10.5.

For the 2022 entry (which was the latest batch) they used a minimum score of 8.9 FOR SECTION 1 & 2 ONLY. But the average “invited for interview score” was 12.6 (this includes all 3 sections of the BMAT).

You can find this information here in the “Admissions statistics” section - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/lms/medicine/mbchb-medicine-and-surgery/how-to-apply/#admissions-statistics-409970-0

In terms of seats they may offer for 2023 I think a safe guess would be they interview roughly 500 applicants for 120-130 spaces (home and international). Once again, these estimates are based on how big the cohorts USUALLY are. The link above also mentions admission statistics that you might find useful.

I hope this helped and good luck! Feel free to ask more questions 😀

Original post by leoishush
Is lancaster a safer choice than queen uni belfast? Also what bmat score do you need?

Hey @leoishush,

Sorry for the late response (I’m conscious that you might have needed this for making a decision on which med school to apply to).

It is really good that you were/are thinking of safe options and not being too ambitious with ALL your 4 applications. The main things you need to consider between Lancaster and Queen’s Uni Belfast are:
UCAT vs BMAT are you having to do the BMAT just for Lancaster or vice versa with the UCAT (only for Queens). I would base this decision on my UCAT score which I would know prior to applying to med schools. For example, if my UCAT was well above 2900 overall then I would be happy with all UCAT unis.
Location and Fees (as it Queen’s is cheaper if you are from Ireland) the best thing you can do to decide is go on an open day and interact with the staff and surrounding. Also do consider your means of transport etc.
Teaching style although both seemed quite similar (PBL at Lancaster + no dissection vs CBL at Queen’s + dissection), I would encourage you to apply to the one where YOU WILL ENJOY learning!

Back to the question so I don’t think Lancaster is a “safer” choice you have to do well in the BMAT and overall they take half the amount of students that Queen’s does, so there are less spots. But then getting an interview at Lancaster is not the hardest out there as the BMAT cut-off is around 10-13 (sum of all 3 sections 9 in section 1, 9 in sections 2 and 5 in section 3).

Finally, for 2022 entry (latest cohort) the average “invited for interview score” was 12.6 (this includes all 3 sections of the BMAT).

I really hope this helped or was useful. Once again, sorry for the late response and good luck!

Original post by Duecesusu

Hi @Duecesusu,

I believe Lancaster receives information about widening participation (WP) criteria through the information provided on your UCAS application. However, it is always best to confirm if they are considering those WP factors/ that they are aware by emailing and asking. You can email [email protected].

Furthermore, all the information you need for the WP can be found here, under the “Contextual offer scheme” section - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/lms/medicine/mbchb-medicine-and-surgery/entry-requirements/#how-will-your-information-be-held-493824-2

The link above also mentions when and how you will need to provide evidence.

Hope this helped and good luck with your application! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Original post by Sunflower2003
what was the cutoff for 2021 entry

Hi @Sunflower2003,

I’m not sure about the 20/21 entry some websites say 10.5 as the overall cut-off.

However, for 21/22 entry (latest batch) the average “invited for interview score” was 12.6 (this includes all 3 sections of the BMAT).

You can find this and more “Admission statistics” on this page - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/lms/medicine/mbchb-medicine-and-surgery/how-to-apply/#admissions-statistics-409970-0

I hope this helped. Let me know if you have any more questions 😊.

Original post by Sami Sami
Still 1st page? Any1 know when interview invites come out?

@Sami Sami Sami Haha I think all my replied now will surely make it to the second page! I need you guys to be asking more questions!

In terms of interview invites, this is what the medical school says “The Multiple Mini Interviews (MMIs) will usually be held in January and February. The exact timing of the MMI days will vary from year to year but we aim to give applicants two weeks’ notice of their MMI date.”

Based on that I think the first few batches will receive their invites in early December before Christmas holidays (I received mine then) and then some more invites throughout January.

Hope this helped, I wouldn’t worry about not receiving a response till end of January. Till then, I would stay optimistic and prepare to smash the MMI!

Let me know if there are any more questions 😊.

Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
@Sami Sami Sami Haha I think all my replied now will surely make it to the second page! I need you guys to be asking more questions!

In terms of interview invites, this is what the medical school says “The Multiple Mini Interviews (MMIs) will usually be held in January and February. The exact timing of the MMI days will vary from year to year but we aim to give applicants two weeks’ notice of their MMI date.”

Based on that I think the first few batches will receive their invites in early December before Christmas holidays (I received mine then) and then some more invites throughout January.

Hope this helped, I wouldn’t worry about not receiving a response till end of January. Till then, I would stay optimistic and prepare to smash the MMI!

Let me know if there are any more questions 😊.

Sounds good, Thanks!
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey @mediccandidate,

Yes, I think for 2020 entry they used a BMAT cut-off of 10.5.

For the 2022 entry (which was the latest batch) they used a minimum score of 8.9 FOR SECTION 1 & 2 ONLY. But the average “invited for interview score” was 12.6 (this includes all 3 sections of the BMAT).

You can find this information here in the “Admissions statistics” section - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/lms/medicine/mbchb-medicine-and-surgery/how-to-apply/#admissions-statistics-409970-0

In terms of seats they may offer for 2023 I think a safe guess would be they interview roughly 500 applicants for 120-130 spaces (home and international). Once again, these estimates are based on how big the cohorts USUALLY are. The link above also mentions admission statistics that you might find useful.

I hope this helped and good luck! Feel free to ask more questions 😀

are they using a cutoff for section 1 and 2 this year too or will they calculate a total for the three sections @Lancaster Student Ambassador
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending