The Student Room Group

Share your most controversial football opinions!

As per the title, what football opinions do you hold that you think are most controversial?

Please try and keep this respectful and avoid insulting individuals or groups of people.

I'll go first with a couple; more may follow:

1) Euros >>> World Cup
Feel like the overall standard is higher, there are more rivalries and fewer dud games, the time zone is more consistent and so many of the recent WC winners are European anyway. This may also reflect a certain bias as a Wales fan that might change later this year though... (Wales have never won a Euros, after all! :tongue: )

2) History is overrated
Everry time my brother reminds me that Aston Villa (his team) have won the European Cup and Man City (mine) haven't, I remind him that they won it more than twenty years before he was born and he didn't exactly get to enjoy the moment. What's the point of a long history to someone who didn't get to enjoy it themselves?
I think watching football is way too overrated. It’s almost like a rite of passage. I’d rather watch the Olympics or other athletics competitions.
Pep Guardiola is a fraud
Reply 3
Paul Scholes is one of the single most overrated footballers in history.

Remember that overrated doesn’t mean that he was crap. Paul Scholes was clearly a good footballer but for him to lumped into the Gerrard/Lampard level is ridiculous.

He was a player who wasn’t thought as as the best central midfielder at United at his peak, was played as a second striker and didn’t score or assist many. Played for the best team throughout his career and just did a good job ticking over.

Came back after retirement and again, ticked over but because people felt that they had underrated him at the time, they went massively over the top and it became a parody.
I like watching sports in general. I have installed Sportsurge app with the help of the https://www.firesticktricks.com/sportsurge.html guidelines, and now has access to every sport I'd like to watch. However, football is my favorite. So I don't miss any big game.
(edited 1 year ago)
The most world cup matches are dull and the whole competition lost the meaning after so many 'artificial' tournaments (Nations League, club world championship, Conference League) were created, and if it gets realized to host it every two years, the attractiveness is ruined once and for all.

The most domestical leagues (Bundesliga and Ligue 1 in particular) are boring because of a lack of competitors to win the league.
(edited 1 year ago)
I think I said in the OP how the average match quality in the Euros is better than the WC.

Though I personally feel like the Nations League is sufficiently different from the Euros to not upstage it. And I'm a big fan of the Nations League, as a Wales fan (who like most Wales fans actually looks forward to international windows!) I do like the fact it's given us more meaningful international games and the opportunity to earn our way into the top tier and regularly play some of the best teams in Europe.
We should get rid of international football completely.

Should introduce orange cards (in between yellow/red) as what count as a "yellow card" is ridiculously broad and refs seem to think a foul in minute 1 is different to minute 90.

Sack all the English refs and bring in foreign refs for the PL. If we can have all the best footballers and managers, why can't we pay for all the best referees too?
Original post by Saracen's Fez
(...)

2) History is overrated
Everry time my brother reminds me that Aston Villa (his team) have won the European Cup and Man City (mine) haven't, I remind him that they won it more than twenty years before he was born and he didn't exactly get to enjoy the moment. What's the point of a long history to someone who didn't get to enjoy it themselves?

Even if fans were involved and got enjoyed in this special history of the team, it is just a good memory, nothing else. The presence of a football team should be more important for a fan than the successes in the past. I am proud of it, sure, but without to forget to look forward.
Reply 9
It’s a game largely devoid of skill, kicking the ball up and down the pitch. Plus the behaviour of a proportion of the fans, just jeering at each other and barely watching the game is highly questionable. Had to understand why it’s so popular really
Football is not good or even vaguely enjoyable. Just a bunch of blokes pretending to know more than they do, cause apparently that makes them more manly or something.
Original post by Zerforax
We should get rid of international football completely. (...)

In other words: all the international competitions, even the EURO and WC, should be abolished. That is a harsh claim, would love to know why.
Original post by Kallisto
In other words: all the international competitions, even the EURO and WC, should be abolished. That is a harsh claim, would love to know why.

Yes get rid of all of them. Other than enriching national football associations what is the point? Being "patriotic" is not a valid reason.

The quality of football at international level is poorer because players spend less time together. I dislike how it punctures the domestic football calendar.

Let's not even get into the corruption at FIFA and the farce that is the Qatar world cup.

Also I find it sad when you have a superstar player but he comes from a non-footballing nation.

Quick Reply

Latest