The Student Room Group

NCS or HBS help!

Hiii, So I currently have conditional offers from both the ncs (newham collegiate) and hbs (henrietta barnett). The problem is that I got good gcse grades (I didn't expect them lol) so I met the requirements for both offers and accepted both. But I have to choose one or the other by next week. I want to study maths, biology, chemistry and physics at A level and go on to do medicine at oxbridge or a russel group uni.

I wanted to know which sixth form would be better for me?? Does anyone go to any of these sixth forms? I've also heard that students in hbs have to rely on themselves a lot, is this true? How are the teachers there, bc I've heard that some are amazing while a few others are atrocious? Does your sixth form help in uni admissions and entrance exams? Is it true that oxbridge gives a better chance to students who go to schools in deprived areas of London, and should I factor this in when I decide?
Thank you for your help!
(edited 1 year ago)
Either one is a perfect place to study
I don't think Oxbridge does that if I'm being honest. I think they'll pay attention to entrance exams, interviews, exam results and points on UCAS. I think HBS is a secure choice since their grades are the highest in the country almost every year. Maybe check grades for your specific subjects? Anyway, I've heard its very independent at hbs which I think is true for all schools tbh and yes, I've also heard that some teachers are great while others not so much which again, could be true for all schools since these are public schools and they can only hire what they can afford. Maybe base your choice off the campus, the distance from home, prospectus, whether you prefer mixed/all girls schools etc. I hope this helps
Original post by radpi
Hiii, So I currently have conditional offers from both the ncs (newham collegiate) and hbs (henrietta barnett). The problem is that I got good gcse grades (I didn't expect them lol) so I met the requirements for both offers and accepted both. But I have to choose one or the other by next week. I want to study maths, biology, chemistry and physics at A level and go on to do medicine at oxbridge or a russel group uni.

I wanted to know which sixth form would be better for me?? Does anyone go to any of these sixth forms? I've also heard that students in hbs have to rely on themselves a lot, is this true? How are the teachers there, bc I've heard that some are amazing while a few others are atrocious? Does your sixth form help in uni admissions and entrance exams? Is it true that oxbridge gives a better chance to students who go to schools in deprived areas of London, and should I factor this in when I decide?
Thank you for your help!
Reply 3
Original post by Serena072
I don't think Oxbridge does that if I'm being honest. I think they'll pay attention to entrance exams, interviews, exam results and points on UCAS. I think HBS is a secure choice since their grades are the highest in the country almost every year. Maybe check grades for your specific subjects? Anyway, I've heard its very independent at hbs which I think is true for all schools tbh and yes, I've also heard that some teachers are great while others not so much which again, could be true for all schools since these are public schools and they can only hire what they can afford. Maybe base your choice off the campus, the distance from home, prospectus, whether you prefer mixed/all girls schools etc. I hope this helps

Hello!
I actually heard about the whole oxbridge thing from a friend of mine and searched the internet but couldn't find what she was saying :confused: but yeah your answer was very helpful thank you so much!
Reply 4
Original post by radpi
Hello!
I actually heard about the whole oxbridge thing from a friend of mine and searched the internet but couldn't find what she was saying :confused: but yeah your answer was very helpful thank you so much!

I'd say go NCS!! Heard sm good things about it, they offer alot, and whilst success at sixth form is down to you ncs helps.
What did you get in gcse, I was planning on applying for these schools next year.
Reply 6
I got 10 grade 9s and one 8
Reply 7
Original post by tatakae
I'd say go NCS!! Heard sm good things about it, they offer alot, and whilst success at sixth form is down to you ncs helps.

Thank you sm for offering your point of view
Reply 8
Original post by radpi
Thank you sm for offering your point of view

np :smile:
Has anyone received an invitation to the taster days for Newham Collegiate Sixth Form?
Original post by johnasnariya12
Has anyone received an invitation to the taster days for Newham Collegiate Sixth Form?

I did, did you?
yep.

Original post by cogimyun
I did, did you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending