out of curiosity how do you go about making friends with people at university

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous

freshers events and societies are a good way to make friends

Hiyaa

There are plenty of ways people make friends at uni, the most common way is through joining societies. When you're part of the same society, it's easier to meet people who share similar interests with you and be friends with them. Ofc you can't just meet people once and get close to them, both sides have to put effort into planning meetups (which honestly doesn't have to be a chore especially if you like talking to the person).

Another great way is by joining a sport or doing other extracurriculars like music, drama, dance, volunteering etc. This is particularly easy because uni offers lots of opportunities to engage in extracurriculars and you don't even have to put in extra effort if you just attend the regular practice sessions.

Also a very easy way is to get to know your housemates/flatmates better. Since you share a living space, you can just do stuff together like cooking or having a house party.

-Himieka
Hey there,

Typically at university i'd say there are 3 main ways to meet new people and form new friendships!

1) Your flatmates that you meet when you move into halls. In you first year you'll be randomly allocated into halls normally with other first years. You'll probably meet them before your university timetable starts, and you'll be able to attend freshers events together, go to socials, have your morning coffee together etc., and a friendship will probably come naturally. You may even end up moving into second year housing together if you get on well. However, it is totally normal to not get on with all your flatmates so try not to put too much pressure on this!

2) Your course mates. I recommend sitting with people in lectures when you start attending them. Everyone is equally nervous/excited about uni starting so this is a great conversation starter! You normally will have 5 mins at the start of the lecture to have a chat while your lecturer sets up so you have time for a quick hello and chat, and you can always get their socials to hang outside of lectures too. It's always great to have friends to sit with in lectures or study with :smile:

3) Societies! Universities have lots of societies to meet the interests of everyone. I know at my university there's a society for pretty much anything you can think of. This can range from course subjects, hobbies, music etc. This is a great way to meet like-minded people that share your interests. Societies usually hold socials/ day time events for their members to hang out and attend so you can get to know eachother better.

I hope this helps,

Lauren -Official Student Rep

Hello

I hope you're well!

Societies & sports clubs - try and join any societies which may interest you and you're bound to make friends there as you clearly already have similar interests

Restaurants/bars/nightclubs - if you enjoy going out to be social, having a drink or just going to enjoy yourself sometimes this is the easiest way to make friends as everyone just wants to have a good time

Coursemates - in my opinion, this is the easiest way to make friends at uni; by talking to those on your course. I think this is the easiest way because you're all in the same environment already and you all share an interest in this subject - therefore you automatically have a topic for conversation and something to be able to relate to each other on!

Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Hi,

To be honest, it is an amazing and quite easy process. In the first place, there are the coursemates that you can easily approach before the classes start or after them. Luckily, it works both ways :h:. It is even more effortless during workshops/seminars that are mostly based on group work, discussions, and a smaller learning environment. As you have something in common (doing the same course), it is pretty natural to get along with those people. Later you realize that you have actually other stuff in common as well. You will not even know when you become really good mates.

There are also societies allowing you to take advantage of opportunities that a university provides, experience proper student life, and develop your hobbies while making valuable friendships with people who share the same interests.

For first-year students, I always recommend choosing student halls, as living with people creates the strongest bonds. Additionally, it is immensely helpful in the process of transitioning into university, adjusting to a new place, and reducing homesickness. I met my best friend in a shared flat and it was one of the best experiences I have had in my life. We have created an unbreakable bond and have been a constant support to each other during the first year :smile: We have moved to another accommodation together and it will probably stay like that until we graduate.

Finally, you can become a part-time student ambassador and the best part of this role (apart from money and helping prospective students of course :tongue:) are people I got to meet. Although those are diverse students from different countries, backgrounds, and courses, we make an incredibly companionate team and always have lots of fun.

Therefore, there are many ways of finding friends at university. I believe that even shy people should find it easy, as I was one of them when I started! Be yourself, engage in student life and one day you realize how many amazing friendships you have made.

I hope I could help :u:

Take care,

Julia

Hi there

There are many ways to make friends at uni. At the beginning of every academic year, most unis host a welcome/freshers week. This week usually consists of a number of events and fun activities such as themed club nights, games nights, Karaoke, sports, arts and craft etc as well as many ice breakers to help you meet people. Remember that many first year students will be in the same position so they too will be wanting to make new friends. As well as this there are lots of other opportunities to make friends at uni such as in your accommodation, in your lectures/seminars, at events run by the uni and societies. Societies are a great way to meet likeminded people and develop a new or preexisting hobby. There are usually lots of societies to choose from and you can even make your own one! You will find that friendships will naturally develop over time but my advice would be to be as confident and approachable as you can, especially in the first few weeks. You will click with some people instantly and others will take time so just be patient and open minded. Also you never really stop making friends at uni. I'm in my final year and still meeting new people through mutual friends and shared experiences. Hope this helps!

Let me know if you have any other uni related questions :smile:

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep

Hey there!
For me personally, I joined all the Facebook groups before I moved including my course group, my accommodation group and a general freshers group. There were all sorts of groupchats made from those and that way I could get to know everyone before the semester started. Like others have said, the easiest ways to make friends is to join societies because they host weekly nights out and events. However, as someone who went to both sports and societies fairs in first and second year and couldn't find anything that interested them, this isn't always possible. Once I got there, I made the extra effort to befriend my neighbours by saying hi to them in the lift and going to any pre's they were hosting. Most recently I've found making friends in the gym the easiest as well as actively going out in order to meet mutual friends of people I already know.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Anon,

You never know who might become a good friend, so be open to conversation with different people.

It might be the person you see every week at the library or the person you get talking to at the bus stop.

It could be sitting next to the person who is on their own at lunch and making small talk.

Or it could be attending a university event and finding out you have lots in common with other students.

Some societies may have trips away, so taking the courage to sign up to a weekend away could also help you make friends.

You could be really pro-active and arrange a social with people from your course or housemates.

Friendship takes time, but if you are willing to get to know people, to spend time with them, and to make an effort to hang out, then you should begin to build friendships.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year podiatry student University of Huddersfield

Hi Anonymous,
The best way to make friends at university is by putting yourself out there. Join societies (the common ground you share with fellow members is always a good starting point for a friendship), volunteer at your university, consider taking on a part-time job or participating in a sport. There's always your course mates as well. If you have communal areas at your student accommodation then it may be worth seeing if any events are held there. We love holding events at Student Roost as they give our residents the opportunity to get to know each other.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Original post by lol2468
freshers events and societies are a good way to make friends

Yes this is the best method. I am pretty certain there are course events / societies introductions during the first weeks at universities.

If you don’t attend these it is pretty much impossible to make friends in my opinion.

Hi,
Hope you are doing well. There are tons of ways to make friends at Uni
* At your school freshers fair- you see a lot of other new students there, you can meet people studying different things, from different places and also looking for new friends like you.
* If you missed your freshers fair, no worries because you can always join clubs & societies and meet new people
* Attend school events and activities. For eg, we have friendship evenings nearly every week. Your school would likely have some activities planned out.
* Get a job- this is another way to meet new people and form connections whether in school or outside school meanwhile making money.
* Talk to your course mates or flat mates if you live in student accommodation halls as they are the first and closest people you meet when you arrive at uni.
* Doing extracurricular activities yourself like going to the gym, dance classes etc
Remember, be yourself always and don't be in a rush to form close friendships and relationships. Hope this helps you make friends that bring out the best in you.

Benedicta,
University of Sunderland Student Ambassador.
I commute into uni, so missed some of those opportunities others have mentioned but still have made lots of friends.

I firstly met some who became friends in freshers week, just by talking to people in the same faculty and/or course and starting a whatsapp group.

Then when we started uni we were put into groups for group work and I suggested we went to the union after classes for a game of pool and we each invited our groups, one or two from each group came, and it just grew from there. Most of the people I've made friends with are commuters too as the students in halls tend to make their own friendship circles, but over 50% of students at our uni are commuters so there are plenty of us!

The main thing is to talk to people face to face, don't be afraid to ask them to meet up/spontaneously go to union after classes, and don't turn down any invites until you get the feel of the place.

Hi,

There are many different ways you can make new friends at University!

If you are going into your first year then you can attend the Freshers Week events. I am pretty sure your chosen University will have many different activities going on throughout the week. For example, DMU plays a movie on the big screen on campus and put out deck chairs where people can sit and have a chat with other people, last September they put on Shrek 2 which was funny!

Also at DMU, we had a societies fair. Joining a society is a great way of making new friends because you will be doing or trying out something that everyone else in the society has an interest for so therefore you might make new friends who have similar hobbies as you! I am part of the Psychology Society at DMU and we all like psychology so we all get on well and I made new friends out of that, we hosted a murder mystery party and we also have been mini golf where we found out who was the best at golf! Society nights are really fun to get involved with at University.

Another way you can make friends is through your coursemates. Perhaps join a group chat for your course and ask if anyone wants to meet up and get to know you! Even if you have a study session in the library together. This is one of the ways I made a lot of friends in my first year.

I know it can be nervous to meet new people at University but when you do it feels amazing and makes your university more easier as spending time with friends can be part of your free time when you are not doing work as it is good to have breaks.

I hope this has helped
-Tianna :smile:

There are lots of ways to make friends at Uni. Firstly students on your course are a great way to begin making friends especially as you will have your course in common. Some students set up messaging groups before they start university to get to know each other. This can be the same if you are staying in university accommodation, contacting others and finding out who will be living with you can usually be found on a university Facebook group page for the year you are starting.
When you get to university there is freshers week where you will get to know and meet other students who are wanting to make friends also. Join in that week with things that are going on and get involved. University is very social and you will find by joining societies and groups, attending clubs you will find you have made more friends than you expected. :-)

Hi there,
Your accommodation is a great place to start. Plan events, little movie nights, food shop together ect. Alternatively, join a society ( this is where I met most of my mates) you can do socials with them it’s ace !
Next , nights out I make friends as you meet
People who are friends of friends or like the same music!
Finally, people are your course are bound to be similar to you in characterises due to their similar course choice! Therefore, this is a great place to look for friends :smile:
Hope this helps

Emily <3

I am afraid I can't help. I can't make any friend; I don't carea bout it but this is increasing my paranoia.
I am okay without friends, I just can't stand being in rooms full of people...

Hey!

The simple answer to your question is that I am sure you will find that you'll make friends really easily! At university you come across a lot of like-minded people who will be equally as anxious to make friends. These may be course mates, people you live with or even just those you bump into on campus! I'd really recommend trying out societies and sports clubs who often run social events, with all inclusive events to suit everyone, even if you don't drink alcohol. Also, you can explore your university's city and surroundings, which will be great to do with new friends, especially if neither of you have been there before.

For more tips about leaving home for the first time and making friends/finding new experiences at uni, check out the linked posts!

Good Luck!

Hope - Swansea Student Ambassador and Second Year Graduate Entry Medicine Student.

Hi there, :smile:

It is really exciting getting to meet new people at uni who may become your friends for life! I think you'll find making friends at uni quite an easy and fun experience. Joining course and accommodation related Facebook community groups is a helpful way for you to meet new friends on your course. Student halls is also a great way to meet new people who you can then attend freshers week with, this is your opportunity to get to know your housemates and course mates, there will be lots of events that you can attend.

You could arrange to go out for lunch with new course mates or grabbing a coffee on the way to another lecture will give you a chance to get to know people that bit better. I would recommend joining a society or sports club as it's the perfect way to meet like-minded friends and get involved in social activities outside of your course.

All the best, :smile:
Sarah

Hi
Just checking in. How are you feeling about making friends now?

Emily <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending