The Student Room Group

What i should do with my A-level subjects

Hi, my names Rachael, and I am a year 12 currently studying Psychology, Economics, Business studies and an EPQ at 6th form. The thing is, I really don't know what I want to do with these subjects, originally, I wanted to do Pharmacy, but chemistry is required, and I wasn't allowed to do it at my school. I am really struggling to find a career or a course in Uni which will like these subjects, because the end if he day, I want to do something that can make me international and noticeable especially because I speak both German and French and obviously employable especially in today's harsh economy. I really need some advice and wisdom. Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Pple? Political science? International relations? Maybe try looking into these at some unis and their requirements! :smile:
Have you considered studying International Business?
Something business related?
Original post by SpiderCrab
Have you considered studying International Business?

Oh wow, No I haven't but that sounds really interesting, do you think people studying in that field are in demand right now?
Original post by Uhhcallmerae
Oh wow, No I haven't but that sounds really interesting, do you think people studying in that field are in demand right now?

How has your school allowed you to take Business and Econ - many schools don't allow this because of the overlap.
Oh really?? I didn't know that, but There are actually a lot of students who I know who take Business Economics and maths as a trio
Oh really?? I didn't know that, but There are actually a lot of students who I know who take Business Economics and maths as a trio

It's an unwise choice, because several universities will not count economics and business as two separate A levels.
Original post by Reality Check
It's an unwise choice, because several universities will not count economics and business as two separate A levels.

Yikes... Dang im actually unsure of what to do now..
Yikes... Dang im actually unsure of what to do now..

It's not all universities that will refuse to count economics and business studies as separate A levels, so you would need to check with each uni you're thinking of applying to whether or not they'd accept this combination. However, the safest thing is not to take two subjects with significant overlap in their content.
Original post by Reality Check
It's not all universities that will refuse to count economics and business studies as separate A levels, so you would need to check with each uni you're thinking of applying to whether or not they'd accept this combination. However, the safest thing is not to take two subjects with significant overlap in their content.

Yes i understand, well I mean it's a bit too late to change my subjects now.. But do you potentially know any courses I could take with these 3 subjects?
Hi, my names Rachael, and I am a year 12 currently studying Psychology, Economics, Business studies and an EPQ at 6th form. The thing is, I really don't know what I want to do with these subjects, originally, I wanted to do Pharmacy, but chemistry is required, and I wasn't allowed to do it at my school. I am really struggling to find a career or a course in Uni which will like these subjects, because the end if he day, I want to do something that can make me international and noticeable especially because I speak both German and French and obviously employable especially in today's harsh economy. I really need some advice and wisdom. Thank you

Hey if u wanna do pharmacy and ur set for tht there’s always foundation yr :smile:! My friend she did politics re and geography did a foundation yr for pharmacy and now she’s in her first yr !!

Have u tried applying to college sixth form, usually grade requirement would be lower. It’s only been two weeks of school, if pharmacy was ur only plan u can still thrive for it. Currently, I’m studying chemistry at a college sixth form, in chemistry we are studying and going over gcse content and I assume majority of college sixthform are doing the same thing, my original plan was to go to my high school sixthform but I didn’t meet the requirements so I change plans HOWEVER if u want to stay where u are, u could do law or finance or accounting
Yes i understand, well I mean it's a bit too late to change my subjects now.. But do you potentially know any courses I could take with these 3 subjects?

The obvious one would be law, but there's loads of humanities courses you could take. Have you tried having a look at Informed Choices - this is the Russell Group's guide to A level choices and where they can lead. Definitely worth having a look at (click the blue link I"ve provided for you)
Original post by PURPLE789
Hey if u wanna do pharmacy and ur set for tht there’s always foundation yr :smile:! My friend she did politics re and geography did a foundation yr for pharmacy and now she’s in her first yr !!

Oh wow, I thought u had to do specific alevels
Original post by Arusia-18
Have u tried applying to college sixth form, usually grade requirement would be lower. It’s only been two weeks of school, if pharmacy was ur only plan u can still thrive for it. Currently, I’m studying chemistry at a college sixth form, in chemistry we are studying and going over gcse content and I assume majority of college sixthform are doing the same thing, my original plan was to go to my high school sixthform but I didn’t meet the requirements so I change plans HOWEVER if u want to stay where u are, u could do law or finance or accounting

I would actually go to a college 6th form, but unfortunately, I cant because of my parents so, that won't work lol but Law, finance and accounting sounds pretty dope I'm just afraid unis wont accept me cuz I didn't take maths a level.
Original post by PURPLE789

Also, if you dont mind me asking, which Uni did she apply for
Also, if you dont mind me asking, which Uni did she apply for

Manchester :smile:!!

Heya!
I would recommend checking out Prospects as it'll help you with career advice :h: Looks to me that something business related would suit you! You could also look into law (they don't need any specific a-levels just good grades). You could also do a foundation course in a relevant science degree like pharmacy (just means 1 extra year!).

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

You're only at the beginning of year 12 so it should be possible to change - but it might take a bit of work to catch up. Maybe speak to your head of sixth form? I think I would personally change economics for maths as it opens up a lot of degree possibilities

Quick Reply

Latest