The Student Room Group

Biomed at Uni of Birmingham

Hi,
Has anyone studied this with plans to be a biomedical scientist? Asking bc the course isn't accredited by the IBMS and i wanted to know how long/difficult/costly the process would be to get it accredited after i finish the course.
thanks
Original post by pk027
Hi,
Has anyone studied this with plans to be a biomedical scientist? Asking bc the course isn't accredited by the IBMS and i wanted to know how long/difficult/costly the process would be to get it accredited after i finish the course.
thanks

I also have the same question, so would really appreciate an answer!
Reply 2
Original post by sleep_supremacy
I also have the same question, so would really appreciate an answer!

there was a response not sure where its gone now but it basically said its more time and cost effective to go for an IBMS accredited biomed degree like aston's
im going to apply for both but speak to my careers advisor after half term :smile:
Original post by pk027
there was a response not sure where its gone now but it basically said its more time and cost effective to go for an IBMS accredited biomed degree like aston's
im going to apply for both but speak to my careers advisor after half term :smile:

As far as I remember, you need an IBMS accreditation if you plan to work in the NHS as a clinical biomedical scientist, but not if you plan to go into research. Someone please confirm/deny!

How good is Aston's biomed course? I haven't looked into Aston yet.

Thanks for your reply!
Reply 4
As far as I remember, you need an IBMS accreditation if you plan to work in the NHS as a clinical biomedical scientist, but not if you plan to go into research. Someone please confirm/deny!

Thanks for your reply!

im not sure about accreditation for research
they have an open day on the 12th november x
also they have a biomed top up course you can do if you've completed a non IBMS accredited biomed degree at a different uni, i think it takes a minimum of 12 months tho looking at the website.
but may as well as go to aston in the first place instead of going to uni of bham and wasting an extra year to get accreditation :-\
Original post by pk027
im not sure about accreditation for research
they have an open day on the 12th november x
also they have a biomed top up course you can do if you've completed a non IBMS accredited biomed degree at a different uni, i think it takes a minimum of 12 months tho looking at the website.
but may as well as go to aston in the first place instead of going to uni of bham and wasting an extra year to get accreditation :-\

From what I've seen, you don't need accreditation for research, but again, I'm not fully sure.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to visit on their open day. Will you be going?

I don't have any plans to do an IBMS-acccredited degree, but its nice to know I have options.

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 6
From what I've seen, you don't need accreditation for research, but again, I'm not fully sure.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to visit on their open day. Will you be going?

I don't have any plans to do an IBMS-acccredited degree, but its nice to know I have options.

Thanks! :smile:

yh i wudn't know cos i wanna do more in hospital testing than research

i went in june but missed the biomed talk, and i can't go on the 12th, but i think they're ranked in the top 5 in the uk for biomed research
https://www.aston.ac.uk/study/courses/biomedical-science-bsc/september-2023
also their entry requirements are a bit lower than uni of birmingham's
which unis do u plan on applying to?
:smile:
Original post by pk027
yh i wudn't know cos i wanna do more in hospital testing than research

i went in june but missed the biomed talk, and i can't go on the 12th, but i think they're ranked in the top 5 in the uk for biomed research
https://www.aston.ac.uk/study/courses/biomedical-science-bsc/september-2023
also their entry requirements are a bit lower than uni of birmingham's
which unis do u plan on applying to?
:smile:

Hi! I plan on applying to UCL, KCL, Birmingham, Bath and Sheffield.
Reply 8
all for the same course?? thats kinda scary (hope that doesn't put u off lol if you know for sure u wont change ur mind its fine)
tbh i wudve done the same with just one course but since im only applying to 2 unis, i was able to apply for 3 different courses even tho im pretty sure i wanna do biomed
good luck with ur applications, hope u get into ur first choice xx
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by pk027
all for the same course?? thats kinda scary (hope that doesn't put u off lol if you know for sure u wont change ur mind its fine)
tbh i wudve done the same with just one course but since im only applying to 2 unis, i was able to apply for 3 different courses even tho im pretty sure i wanna do biomed
good luck with ur applications, hope u get into ur first choice xx

Yup! :biggrin: It is pretty scary, but I don't want to say I didn't try. :smile: Which other courses are you applying for?
Reply 10
after i put biomed and biochem at aston and uob
then i added economics at uob to use the last slot just in case i have a *midlife* crisis between now and accepting offers :biggrin: (i do study economics now tho so its not completely random)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by pk027
after i put biomed and biochem at aston and uob
then i added economics at uob to use the last slot just in case i have a *midlife* crisis between now and accepting offers :biggrin: (i do study economics now tho so its not completely random)

How are you writing your PS then? Biomed and econ are pretty different from each other.
Reply 12
How are you writing your PS then? Biomed and econ are pretty different from each other.

yh ur right
it was just a last minute descison yesterday, just to use the last choice on UCAS, i still expect to choose biomed so it doesn't rly matter if i dont get an offer
my college UCAS deadline is monday so i just left my personal statement pretty much the same since i didn't want to make my PS vauge and less specific for the sake of a course i almost definitely won't take xx
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by pk027
yh ur right
it was just a last minute descison yesterday, just to use the last choice on UCAS, i still expect to choose biomed so it doesn't rly matter if i dont get an offer
my college UCAS deadline is monday so i just left my personal statement the same since i didn't want to make my PS vauge and less specific for the sake of a course i almost definitely won't take xx

Not to pry, but why don't you use your last UCAS choice on another biomed course then, if you have no intention of taking econ?
Reply 14
no its ok x
ive applied for biomed at the only unis i want to go to (im staying close to home ), and im fairly confident that ill work hard enough to get onto one :smile:
Original post by pk027
no its ok x
ive applied for biomed at the only unis i want to go to (im staying close to home ), and im fairly confident that ill work hard enough to get onto one :smile:

Ah, I see. Best of luck for your application! :smile:
Hi, I have graduated in Biomedical Science, as far as i know, you need your IBMS accreditation, the university of Birmingham course is heavily based on research, hence why is not accredited. I know a friend who did biomedical science at UOB and had to take an extra year to get the accreditation as some modules were missing. so the degree will be 5 years because you have to work in lab for a year to get the accreditation. I myself completed biomed in De monfort university and in the course they give u opportunity to work in the lab and thats where you complete a portfolio to get IBMS accreditation, and the come back and complete your final year. I think that was easy for me because for IBMS if you do it at UOB then u have to pay and complete an extra year and you have to find it yourself a lab placement which is hard because other universities have direct access to it , whereas you do it at demonfort or another accredited university, the university pays for your accreditation and they are connected with labs so they can help you get a placement Plus you are paying 9k per year so you might as well invest in a course that pays for your accreditation. Hope this helps.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending