The Student Room Group

Dropping out or not?

I’m in yr13 studying Eng Lang, business, and Pe.
And I’m failing, bad - I’ve been off track I’m all of my subjects for almost a year. I’m really considering dropping out, I get really stressed out by school - the work, but also just by the school itself like when I think about going to school I don’t feel well eg dizziness, headaches, nausea, leg cramps, fast heart rate, etc. This has caused me to miss a lot of school last year (yr12) and this year (yr13) but I do catch up with the work I have missed. My mum has reached out to my teachers and I now have weekly meetings with my form tutor and my teachers sometimes giving me extra help but it doesn’t help I just can’t do it, I think it might even be making me worse because I feel bad that I’m putting them out. I know that there’s only like 8 months left and if I leave now I’ll have done yr12 and the beginning of yr13 for nothing, but I can barely make it through a full week without missing days off. So what do you think I should do? Because I don’t know what I should do. Should I drop out or not?🤷*♀️
Sorry to hear your experiencing a rough time 💛

You know your capabilities, but I think you should involve your mum and teachers in the conversation too. What are your predicted grades like? Ooh but also talk/retalk to your doctor especially with the symptoms you're experiencing.

If you were to drop out (which there is no shame in doing), what would you do? Would you recuperate and then go back to school later? Or perhaps get a job or apprenticeship? Also what do you want to be/do in the future? Just some things to consider.

I think until your 18 you have to be in some kind of education/apprenticeship/job role and after that you can do what you want.

Good luck with everything and hopefully you get some more responses with good advice & other perspectives xx
Original post by IdkAnything04
And I’m failing, bad - I’ve been off track I’m all of my subjects for almost a year. I’m really considering dropping out, I get really stressed out by school - the work, but also just by the school itself like when I think about going to school I don’t feel well eg dizziness, headaches, nausea, leg cramps, fast heart rate, etc. This has caused me to miss a lot of school last year (yr12) and this year (yr13) but I do catch up with the work I have missed. My mum has reached out to my teachers and I now have weekly meetings with my form tutor and my teachers sometimes giving me extra help but it doesn’t help I just can’t do it, I think it might even be making me worse because I feel bad that I’m putting them out. I know that there’s only like 8 months left and if I leave now I’ll have done yr12 and the beginning of yr13 for nothing, but I can barely make it through a full week without missing days off. So what do you think I should do? Because I don’t know what I should do. Should I drop out or not?🤷*♀️

You're posting on here at 1.30 in the morning on a school night. erm... advice, sort out your diet, sort out your sleep schedule, drink plenty of water.
Try to get good habits, revisit this idea in 3 weeks.
Into bed at 9.30pm - no screen time. Just give it a go, sounds to me like you're suffering and so need extra rest.
Take care.
Start looking at the alternatives, and work out what you might do next, rather than just 'I'm going to drop out' - https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/
Reply 4
Original post by IdkAnything04
And I’m failing, bad - I’ve been off track I’m all of my subjects for almost a year. I’m really considering dropping out, I get really stressed out by school - the work, but also just by the school itself like when I think about going to school I don’t feel well eg dizziness, headaches, nausea, leg cramps, fast heart rate, etc. This has caused me to miss a lot of school last year (yr12) and this year (yr13) but I do catch up with the work I have missed. My mum has reached out to my teachers and I now have weekly meetings with my form tutor and my teachers sometimes giving me extra help but it doesn’t help I just can’t do it, I think it might even be making me worse because I feel bad that I’m putting them out. I know that there’s only like 8 months left and if I leave now I’ll have done yr12 and the beginning of yr13 for nothing, but I can barely make it through a full week without missing days off. So what do you think I should do? Because I don’t know what I should do. Should I drop out or not?🤷*

Hey. I really hope you see this. I hope you were able to find an appropriate solution for yourself. I'm currently in year 12 and I've missed a lot of the school year too and I've literally had/have the almost exact symptoms as you but I don't think mine is due to mental health. Please tell me, were you still able to get the grades in year 12 despite everything? Because I haven't and combined with my low attendance, my school is wanting me to retake but I so desperately need to continue on to year 13 this September. Please share with me what happened for you during yr 12.
Btw, I'm confident I can end up with good grades. Thanks 🙂
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest