The Student Room Group

2022 US Midterms Official Thread

We haven't got one of these yet in any form so far I don't think, but results have been coming in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-63157389

It looks so far like the Republicans are making gains but not quite to the extent that many expected, and the Senate is still very much hanging in the balance.

Scroll to see replies

Results still coming in, but it's possible that the Democrats lose both the House and the Senate. Biden's approval ratings are low and it's very common for presidents to lose either of the two (or both) half way through their term.
Reports so far seem to suggest that the Dems have done better than expected as the "Red Wave" hasn't quite materialised. It appears that plenty of Pro-Trump candidates have lost. However, Florida is now strongly pro-GOP with Governor DeSantis solidifying his position. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if he runs for POTUS in 2024.
Reply 3
I wonder who/what the Republican snowflakes are going to blame for the lack of the predicted landslide?

Answers on a postcard to:
The Ghost of Hugo Chavez.
Comet Pizzaria Basement
Washington DC
Grate America
Original post by WADR
I wonder who/what the Republican snowflakes are going to blame for the lack of the predicted landslide?

Answers on a postcard to:
The Ghost of Hugo Chavez.
Comet Pizzaria Basement
Washington DC
Grate America

They should blame it squarely on their obsession with controlling women's bodies. Oh and Trump.

What's a bit sad from the blue point of view is that if Democrats had been slightly more vocal about the current economic pain of inflation and promised to fight harder to do something serious about it, they might well have retained the House this time, against all odds. As it is, things are still touch and go and it's going to be close. They might even increase their hold on the Senate.

As a Democrat, I'm now kind of hoping the Republicans go nuts and pick Trump to run in '24 as it's clear from the voting patterns that he is now a definite liability to them. His chosen people are losing all over the map.
Reply 5
Original post by anon9845
Funny how every racial group except White people are OPENLY told to vote for certain party because its of benefit to their race.. of course because they've abolished whites as a race, and only in group bias is acceptable for the non-White races.

Then explain why some of these Democrat run cities that have been Democrat since 60's have so much crime, poverty and corruption? is that a benefit of their race? :smile:

1. They aren't.
2. They haven't.
3. It isn't.
4. Huh?

Hope this helped.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
As a Democrat

For a U.S. citizen you sure spend a huge amount of time posting on UK politics
Original post by Justvisited
For a U.S. citizen you sure spend a huge amount of time posting on UK politics

I'm 50:50 - English mum, Californian dad. And I love politics generally. :yep:

You?
Trump continues to be an electoral millstone around the GOP's neck. Though I think, at this stage, the potential hit to his ego is just too big for him to not run again.
Original post by anarchism101
Trump continues to be an electoral millstone around the GOP's neck. Though I think, at this stage, the potential hit to his ego is just too big for him to not run again.

It's going to be bizarre seeing him attempting to be the big chief again. Some are pointing out that as he claims he won last time, he shouldn't be standing for a third time anyways. :lol:
Reply 10
It really is rather funny to watch both the whack job maga crowd, as well as the democrats, trying to eek out any possible silver lining for this..

Yes, no red wave, less than a good result for the opposition. Although, note the good thumping that Abbott and De Santis gave their opposite numbers. It seems that the so called 'culture wars' do indeed resonate with people.

Conversely, if you have to resort to literally funding your enemies to the tune of untold millions to beat them, well. The absolute best you can describe that as is an abject failure of leadership and morals. Granted, the complete loony ex-army fellow was rejected fairly conclusively but if your only hope of winning is to pull out all the stops to make sure that only the utterly unelectable is the opposition... well, if you call this a win then you have some serious problems to work through :rolleyes:
Reply 11
It's going to be bizarre seeing him attempting to be the big chief again. Some are pointing out that as he claims he won last time, he shouldn't be standing for a third time anyways. :lol:

Thats a rather good point actually :lol:

Given how unpopular dear old uncle Joe is though, it doesn't bode overly well if Trump decides to run again. Not least as they have no particularly popular people who could plausibly stand up to Trumps, really very impressive electoral machine. He might be a reprehensible carpet bagger at best but props where props are due - i cant think of a single person who can hold a flame to the power he exercises over the republicans, despite being a glorified gold copurse owner at this point.
I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again. Ron DeSantis will be the Republican nomination for the next presidential election.

That represents a far greater threat to the democrats than the Trump clown train.
Original post by Saracen's Fez
We haven't got one of these yet in any form so far I don't think, but results have been coming in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-63157389

It looks so far like the Republicans are making gains but not quite to the extent that many expected, and the Senate is still very much hanging in the balance.

I hope the Republicans control the House and the Senate then begin proceedings.
Original post by Napp
Thats a rather good point actually :lol:

Given how unpopular dear old uncle Joe is though, it doesn't bode overly well if Trump decides to run again. Not least as they have no particularly popular people who could plausibly stand up to Trumps, really very impressive electoral machine. He might be a reprehensible carpet bagger at best but props where props are due - i cant think of a single person who can hold a flame to the power he exercises over the republicans, despite being a glorified gold copurse owner at this point.

Well Biden saw him off last time and Trump's cabal just failed to get their vote riggers and vote blockers elected to office all over the country, which doesn't bode well for his chances of getting in by cheating. I don't think Biden's wonderful though and personally I'd be happy to see the Dems pick a new candidate, but they won't. I'm not sure Trump will win the nomination though - he's definitely weakened over the last months.
Once again we're still waiting on Arizona and Nevada to see which way the Senate is going to swing!

Also getting the odd whisper that the Dems are not 100% out of the running for control of the House of Reps either, though it's very much on the lower probability end of the outcomes.
Reply 16
Well Biden saw him off last time and Trump's cabal just failed to get their vote riggers and vote blockers elected to office all over the country, which doesn't bode well for his chances of getting in by cheating. I don't think Biden's wonderful though and personally I'd be happy to see the Dems pick a new candidate, but they won't. I'm not sure Trump will win the nomination though - he's definitely weakened over the last months.

Biden, at that point, had the benefit of the doubt in terms of not being proved to be fairly incompetent (not to say Trump isn't but still). Equally, that was before he used the office to accuse half the country of effectively being traitors.. That particular little ditty being one hell of a bold move for someone who originally claimed to want to unite the country.

Indeed he has, ill be curious to see if someone more reasonable like De Santos et al. will be able to elbow him out of the way.
Original post by Napp
Indeed he has, ill be curious to see if someone more reasonable like De Santos et al. will be able to elbow him out of the way.

Are you thinking of DeSantis? Matt Santos was on West Wing. :teehee:
Reply 18
Are you thinking of DeSantis? Matt Santos was on West Wing. :teehee:

Yes thats the one, Mr 'De Sanctimonious' - oh doesn't Trumpetta have a way with nicknames?
Original post by Napp
Yes thats the one, Mr 'De Sanctimonious' - oh doesn't Trumpetta have a way with nicknames?

Lol, that wasn't one of his best. Actually, DeSantis rattles him, he doesn't seem to know how to have a go at him.

I'm finding it harder and harder to see Trump standing, it's just so obvious he's not going to win.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending