The Student Room Group

2022 US Midterms Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Justvisited
Way to mix the official and unofficial, but nice try.

More meaningful to reason that women who refuse to bear and raise the children they conceive don't deserve to be legally regarded as responsible adults and shouldn't be voting.

If a couple use contraception then they are responsible, so if that contraception fails you accept abortion as a reasonable option?
Also, abortion is essential in circumstances like rape.

And your argument is self defeating because if you accept that those women are not responsible adults and shouldn't be trusted with the vote, they certainly shouldn't be trusted with children so abortion is the logical outcome.
Original post by WADR
If a couple use contraception then they are responsible, so if that contraception fails you accept abortion as a reasonable option?

And your argument is self defeating because if you accept that those women are not responsible adults and shouldn't be trusted with the vote, they certainly shouldn't be trusted with children so abortion is the logical outcome.

A separate thread needs to be made for this topic but abortion should be illegal. Choices have consequences and people need to accept those consequences. Sexual Assault is a different argument but that probably does not make up the majority of all abortion cases.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The fraud stuff has been rattling around for a long time and there's plentiful evidence that there was serious fraud in the past, most notably in Chicago and New York, where votes were manipulated on large scales with the help of the mob and others. A lot of it was stamped out in the 80s though and there hasn't as far as one can tell been any serious evidence of widescale fraud since then. The biggest threat to fair elections now is the routine attempts to stop parts of the electorate from voting at all with dubious methods such as demands for only certain types of ID (excluding the young and the poor - the Tories are trying that out here in the UK as well), blocks to postal voting, etc.

Mail-in ballots (what they call postal votes in the US) are another reason for the long delays in some areas, as there are states where they have made rulings that the electoral authorities have to give up to 4 days to allow the counting of mail-ins as long as they carry the postmark of election day. In areas where there is a close result this can lead to long delays in calling the result as those last votes have to be counted days after election day.

Voter suppression wasn’t unique to the Republicans. What are to British eyes bizarre mail in ballot rules were the result of Reagan era efforts to prevent the disenfranchisement of servicemen, who mainly voted Republican, by sending out ballots too late for them to be reasonably returned by Election Day. Late returned service ballots were allowed in Federal elections nationwide and as some late returned ballots had to be counted, States started permitting more and more late returned ballots.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by nulli tertius
Voter suppression wasn’t unique to the Republicans. What are to British eyes bizarre mail in ballot rules were the result of Reagan era efforts to prevent the disenfranchisement of servicemen, who mainly voted Republican, by sending out ballots too late for them to be reasonably returned by Election Day. Late returned service ballots were allowed in Federal elections nationwide and as some late returned ballots had to be counted, States started permitting more and more late returned ballots.

I didn't spell it out, but of course the voter suppression and manipulation (plus a healthy dose of intimidation when required) that went on pre-1980s was often done by or on behalf of Democratic candidates and famously of course it's widely alleged that JFK only became President due to massive voter fraud in Chicago carried out by the mob under the control of mafia boss Sam Giancana, who had a close relationship with Kennedy's father, himself a sort of former mobster/racketeer from the Prohibition era.

I wasn't suggesting that delaying final results to await the late delivery of posted on time mail-ins was fraud or suppression, personally I support mail-ins as they allow many to vote who wouldn't otherwise make it to the polls. I was just pointing out the practicalities in very tight races. It's the Republicans who have been trying to stop mail-ins in many states as a voter suppression tactic.
Reply 44
Original post by Wired_1800
A separate thread needs to be made for this topic

As abortion seems to have been a major factor in the Republican failure in the midterms, it is certainly relevant.

Choices have consequences and people need to accept those consequences. Sexual Assault is a different argument but that probably does not make up the majority of all abortion cases.

Ok. So you think that abortion should be legal in cases of rape, and for those people who didn't choose to become pregnant. What about those who did choose it but continuing the pregnancy would endanger the life of the mother, or if the foetus has severe defects?
Original post by WADR
As abortion seems to have been a major factor in the Republican failure in the midterms, it is certainly relevant.

No, if you want to discuss abortion in the US in general post-Dobbs, you're looking for this thread here.

In this thread we should be staying on topic and limiting discussion to its impact on the election, not our own general views on the topic.
Democrats have held the Senate. The seat in Nevada was narrowly retained last night by Catherine Cortez Masto, which gave the Dems the vital 50 seats, exactly half of the 100 seats available in the Senate - that means with the Speaker, Vice President Kamala Harris, a Democrat, they will continue to be in charge there. There is still one seat to call from Georgia, where the Revd Warnock is defending for the Democrats - he was ahead in the polling so far and it now goes to a runoff. So the Dems could potentially (and probably will) end up with a majority of one.
I didn't spell it out, but of course the voter suppression and manipulation (plus a healthy dose of intimidation when required) that went on pre-1980s was often done by or on behalf of Democratic candidates and famously of course it's widely alleged that JFK only became President due to massive voter fraud in Chicago carried out by the mob under the control of mafia boss Sam Giancana, who had a close relationship with Kennedy's father, himself a sort of former mobster/racketeer from the Prohibition era.

I wasn't suggesting that delaying final results to await the late delivery of posted on time mail-ins was fraud or suppression, personally I support mail-ins as they allow many to vote who wouldn't otherwise make it to the polls. I was just pointing out the practicalities in very tight races. It's the Republicans who have been trying to stop mail-ins in many states as a voter suppression tactic.

That is A Trumpism. Prior to Trump it was believed that Mail ins favoured Republicans because, even apart from the military, they were more mobile.
Original post by WADR

Ok. So you think that abortion should be legal in cases of rape, and for those people who didn't choose to become pregnant. What about those who did choose it but continuing the pregnancy would endanger the life of the mother, or if the foetus has severe defects?

I agree that abortion seemed to have a major impact on the outcome of some seats. It was peculiar for the US Supreme Court to release their decision close to the election cycle when the Dems were in big trouble with Afghanistan, Russia’s military operation and the cost of living crisis.

In addition, i think Republican infighting probably added to their losses. There were articles which suggested some Republican establishment figures secretly frustrating the campaigns of Trump-backed MAGA nominees.

As I said earlier, there are moves to avoid threads going off topic to reduce trolling. However, i have two views on abortion:

1. My public view is that I don't care what a woman decides to do with her body. It is her choice. We are overpopulated in certain regions and doing what she likes helps to reduce the number of unwanted persons in this world. It sounds horrible but I’d rather my taxes go to an abortion procedure than supporting the kid until they are 18 or even being dependent beyond.

2. My personal view is that life is precious and abortion should be illegal on most cases unless there is fatal risk to the life of the mother. To me, it makes no sense to sacrifice one life for another.

PS: a new thread should be created to specifically discuss abortion but i think we can discuss the wider impacts on the 2022 elections such as Trumpism, abortion laws, Ron Desanctimonious, anti-woke movements etc.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by nulli tertius
That is A Trumpism. Prior to Trump it was believed that Mail ins favoured Republicans because, even apart from the military, they were more mobile.

They were worried about reports that states switching to mail-in only were favouring Dems, but the facts were weak - one study found a 0.7% tilt to the donkey but even this is considered dubious by many psephologists.
https://www.science.org/content/article/do-republicans-or-democrats-benefit-mail-voting-it-turns-out-neither

It seems like one of those dubious theories that just took hold on the conspiracist Right and went from there. Trump appeared not to really believe it himself as several times, after yelling about ballot rigging on mail-ins on the stump, he later showed concern that not all of them had been counted in his own race.
Democrats have really turned out to give the MAGAs a pasting. I'm really quite proud. :cry2:
Democrats have really turned out to give the MAGAs a pasting. I'm really quite proud. :cry2:

It was impressive tbh. To go from claims of total collapse to retain the Senate and having a strong position in the House is rather impressive.
So Democrats keep the Senate and narrowly lose the house. Democrats also, Florida and New York aside did very well in a lot of governor and state legislature races.

It's clear that the best thing for the Democrats would be Trump being the Republican nominee for 2024. He is probably the only realistic nominee that Biden could beat.
(edited 1 year ago)

It's a shame that New York, of all places, has cost them the House too.
Original post by DSilva
It's a shame that New York, of all places, has cost them the House too.

AOC was really angry about it and lambasted what she described as the 'ancient regime' Democrat machine in NYC. She has a point because in many other blue urban areas, progressive candidates polled better than traditional centrists.
AOC was really angry about it and lambasted what she described as the 'ancient regime' Democrat machine in NYC. She has a point because in many other blue urban areas, progressive candidates polled better than traditional centrists.

Understandably. With Florida effectively becoming a Republican safe state for the foreseeable future, they can't let New York start to drift towards them too!
Original post by DSilva
So Democrats keep the Senate and narrowly lose the house. Democrats also, Florida and New York aside did very well in a lot of governor and state legislature races.

It's clear that the best thing for the Democrats would be Trump being the Republican nominee for 2024. He is probably the only realistic nominee that Biden could beat.

I don't think that will happen. Trump's image is ruined and Republicans are starting to get fed up with him, even avid supporters. It's funny that neither the horrendous things he said during his campaigns or the January 6th riots were enough for them to ditch him, but one bad midterm was.
Original post by SHallowvale
I don't think that will happen. Trump's image is ruined and Republicans are starting to get fed up with him, even avid supporters. It's funny that neither the horrendous things he said during his campaigns or the January 6th riots were enough for them to ditch him, but one bad midterm was.

To be fair to American voters, even to right wing ones, at least some Republicans and independents came out to get rid of the election deniers and election riggers. This is a recent development for most of them, but it appears that US democracy has survived (for now) an organised effort to destroy it and install permanent fascism under Trump, or that actually appointing self-declared election conspiracy theorists to run elections was generally a step too far.

In the House races, disappointing to see that the ghastly Lauren Boebert in Colorado is now ahead by around 2000 votes with 99% counted in one of the closest battles in the country. She's the one who wanted to wear a gun in the House and joined Marjorie Taylor Greene in shouting abuse at Joe Biden's last State of the Nation.
Reply 58
Original post by WADR

Whether some is "responsible" or not has no bearing on a person's bodily autonomy. Such terms serve no purpose other than as a tactic to shame anyone seeking abortion.
Reply 59
Original post by Vivify
Whether some is "responsible" or not has no bearing on a person's bodily autonomy. Such terms serve no purpose other than as a tactic to shame anyone seeking abortion.

I was not the one making that argument. I was explaining its flaws.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending