The Student Room Group

GCSE results evening.

Today, I collected my GCSE results from my secondary school. It’s the official certificate so everyone from the class of 22 was there.
I cried so much when I got home. The amount of comparing that i got to this guy makes me so so upset.
I got 9999988887 and my mothers keeps comparing me to someone who 1 more extra award than me and all I’m hearing is his name.
My mom keeps saying how she’s ‘disappointed’ that i didn’t get a science award etc and that the guy got loads of awards.
I’m not jealous, because hes a really nice guy but I’m just upset. My parents have spoken more about his successes than mine.
My mom even took a photo of him with his award.
Original post by Anonymous
Today, I collected my GCSE results from my secondary school. It’s the official certificate so everyone from the class of 22 was there.
I cried so much when I got home. The amount of comparing that i got to this guy makes me so so upset.
I got 9999988887 and my mothers keeps comparing me to someone who 1 more extra award than me and all I’m hearing is his name.
My mom keeps saying how she’s ‘disappointed’ that i didn’t get a science award etc and that the guy got loads of awards.
I’m not jealous, because hes a really nice guy but I’m just upset. My parents have spoken more about his successes than mine.

That's really harsh your grades are really good and your mum should be happy for the child she has I mean you've passed everything quite well I wouldn't worry too much you've defiantly got enough for your next step whatever that means for you. Really your grades don't matter so much right now as long as your not going for Oxford or Medicine. I mean you should be proud of yours self maybe take a little time to celebrate but now Collage and A-level beckons or whatever you want to do now really well done and good luck with the next step.

That's harsh! Your results are amazing. Better than mine! I left with 4's, 5's and 6's. Grades don't define you, of course, but I'd loved to have had better grades than that. Your mum shouldn't be comparing you whatsoever, especially when your grades are as fantastic as that. I'm proud of you and I don't even know you.
Be proud of yourself, too.
Original post by jonathanemptage
That's really harsh your grades are really good and your mum should be happy for the child she has I mean you've passed everything quite well I wouldn't worry too much you've defiantly got enough for your next step whatever that means for you. Really your grades don't matter so much right now as long as your not going for Oxford or Medicine. I mean you should be proud of yours self maybe take a little time to celebrate but now Collage and A-level beckons or whatever you want to do now really well done and good luck with the next step.

What do you mean ‘as long as you’re not going for Oxford or medicine’? I kind of wanted to do medicine
That's harsh! Your results are amazing. Better than mine! I left with 4's, 5's and 6's. Grades don't define you, of course, but I'd loved to have had better grades than that. Your mum shouldn't be comparing you whatsoever, especially when your grades are as fantastic as that. I'm proud of you and I don't even know you.
Be proud of yourself, too.

This made me smile, thank you so so much. I’m glad I am appreciated :smile:
What do you mean ‘as long as you’re not going for Oxford or medicine’? I kind of wanted to do medicine

Well Oxford is pretty harsh with their GCSE requirements and that 7 while till a good grade might hurt your chances there and Medicine is supposed to be quite hard to get into I've herd yo need like all 9's to do it but as I didn't do medicine I'm not so sure about that. No harm in applying though the worst that can happen is they say no. If that does happen you can always go and do Biomedical Science then do a medicine conversion course. But do apply because you still might get an offer.

Hey,
Your grades are totally fine for Medicine (as long as you don't want to do Medicine at Oxford). A lot of med schools just have minimum entry requirements such as a 6 in English language/ Maths or require a certain number of As/ A*s which you've deffo got. Focus on a levels because that's the next big step. Your GCSEs shouldn't interfere with your chances of getting into med school- don't worry. :smile:

Take a look at this link for some extra reassurance:
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/studying-medicine/making-an-application/entry-requirements#:~:text=All%20applicants%20(including%20all%20graduates,(or%20equivalent%20level)%20results.

Good luck with applying to med school (if you choose to do so)!
(edited 1 year ago)

You can do Medicine with those GCSEs and Oxford isn't the place to study it anyway.
Well Oxford is pretty harsh with their GCSE requirements and that 7 while till a good grade might hurt your chances there and Medicine is supposed to be quite hard to get into I've herd yo need like all 9's to do it but as I didn't do medicine I'm not so sure about that. No harm in applying though the worst that can happen is they say no. If that does happen you can always go and do Biomedical Science then do a medicine conversion course. But do apply because you still might get an offer.

No need for straight 9s to do Med. :smile:

Also, as someone going through the Medicine application process a second time after recieving 4 pre interview rejections last year, it's not just a rejection from medical school but a blow to your confidence after spending months preparing for admissions exams/ interviews. Your work experience is likely to be solely orientated around the NHS or healthcare. It's a long and tough process.

I thought I'll clear this up for anyone considering a career in Medicine. Don't need the straight 9s or A*s at a level so if you're considering it, don't be put off by the myth that you need perfect academics because you really don't. Just make sure you read uni websites very carefully to ensure you meet all requirements and be prepared for the process ahead!:smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Where has theOP said they want to go to Oxford to study medicine?
Original post by Muttley79
Where has theOP said they want to go to Oxford to study medicine?

He didn't I was just saying that Oxford are quite strict with GCSE's I suspected medicine would be the same but given the answers on here it seems i was wrong on that front.

ignore that
you defo can with those grades they are amazing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending