The Student Room Group

A-level English Language and Literature Study Group 2022-2023

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone here do edexcel english lit&lang - the history boys?
Reply 41
Original post by melissapage

i do, but i do all my sons - what are your predictions for the anthology text?
Original post by sebmilm123
i do, but i do all my sons - what are your predictions for the anthology text?

If they're going topical then I'm thinking either Princess Diana/King's Speech or maybe Colonel Tim Collins's speech/eye-witness account by young radio operator - in terms of the recent ongoing Ukraine war or the King's coronation etc. But saying that it could also be natural disaster-related ones because of the Turkey-Syria earthquake so I genuinely have no idea! What are you thinking?
Reply 43
Original post by SeizeTheStory
I am doing the Edexcel English Lang/Lit A-Level, and my teachers believe that it’s going to be one of the speech texts - The King’s Speech, Possibly Diana interview (controversial) or it could be about the Iran/Iraq war (sorry trying to remember off the top of my head the texts).
Can’t help with the books as we have done Dracula and Twelfth Night then A Streetcar Named Desire for the play

My teachers said the same, they noticed a pattern in contextual linkage to the texts chosen, so definitely believe they will choose Diana/kings speech or any of the war related texts. Cant imagine they would do any of the obvious (Alan bennet, Charlie Brooker, Ian Birrel for example).
Original post by daisyaw
Hiya, I'm doing AQA :smile: I'm most nervous for Paris but I think the exam will go alright overall. I haven't had any of my A-Levels yet so this is my first one so I'm stressing a bit about that but I'm sure it will go okay, how are you feeling?

I'm also pretty nervous for Paris! What novel are you doing? We're doing Lovely Bones - I'm just hoping for nice questions 🙏🙏
Sending you good luck!! 🙏
Original post by rwnsl
does anyone doing AQA have any predictions for Paris/Poetry? specifically carol ann duffy^^

I'm not sure about Paris but for Carol Ann Duffy the ones that haven't come up yet (I'm not sure about what came up in 2022 though so I'm not 100%) are Never Go Back, Mean Time, Before You Were Mine, Valentine, Litany, and Cliché Kid - so any of those are likely! Though obviously literally any could come up so there's no telling for sure 😭
Sending good luck!! 🙏🙏
Reply 46
Original post by Luc1dRats
My teachers said the same, they noticed a pattern in contextual linkage to the texts chosen, so definitely believe they will choose Diana/kings speech or any of the war related texts. Cant imagine they would do any of the obvious (Alan bennet, Charlie Brooker, Ian Birrel for example).

hi, oh really that’s helpful! i mean hopefully it’ll be one of those texts to be fair! how are you feeling about it? which text do you reckon will come up? i know it was the Rainier Tsunami one last year how was that contextually linked? thanks :smile:
Yes I meant Thursday😭 Revision is messing up my sense of time - honestly a nightmare. I did 3hours 30mins online revision with my friend yesterday plus my other anthology bits and I’m so tired😂😭 @sebmilm123
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 48
Original post by sebmilm123
hi, oh really that’s helpful! i mean hopefully it’ll be one of those texts to be fair! how are you feeling about it? which text do you reckon will come up? i know it was the Rainier Tsunami one last year how was that contextually linked? thanks :smile:

I’m feeling okay, i definitely should of prepared more before hand as i’ve only started in depth revision in the last few days.For me doing well relies on me calming my nerves and just thinking in an exam rather than panicking. I think it’ll be the kings speech honestly. Im not sure if the last text was contextualised - i suppose there was a significant amount of natural disasters in 2022 so that might be it - but some other students have said there is a theme with linked texts 🤷🏻*♀️
Good luck everyone, you've got this! Remember to jump into the exam thread after to chat about how it went. :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by melissapage

I am doing history boys, what do you think the questions will focus on. They have done ambition, gender, class, history and i think generally education. So i think they may ask a question on religion or sexuality.
Good luck everyone!! Hoping for nice questions and extracts, especially for Paris 😅🙏
I am doing history boys, what do you think the questions will focus on. They have done ambition, gender, class, history and i think generally education. So i think they may ask a question on religion or sexuality.

Omg thank god I thought I was the only one doing The History Boys😭😭 the theme last year was sexuality so I’m definitely thinking it’ll be religion and potentially an extract regarding Scripps. How are you revising for it?
Reply 53
I’m feeling okay, i definitely should of prepared more before hand as i’ve only started in depth revision in the last few days.For me doing well relies on me calming my nerves and just thinking in an exam rather than panicking. I think it’ll be the kings speech honestly. Im not sure if the last text was contextualised - i suppose there was a significant amount of natural disasters in 2022 so that might be it - but some other students have said there is a theme with linked texts 🤷🏻*♀️

yeh very true! do you have snapchat so we can talk about it on there? my snapchat is seebmilm1:smile:
Reply 54
Original post by SeizeTheStory
Yes I meant Thursday😭 Revision is messing up my sense of time - honestly a nightmare. I did 3hours 30mins online revision with my friend yesterday plus my other anthology bits and I’m so tired😂😭 @sebmilm123

ah nice mate yeh i’ve got a whole day now to revise + tomorrow morning as well, what do you think the antholog text will be? rumours of it being the kings speech i wouldn’t mind that one - and did you say you did all my sons?
Anyone doing ocr???
Original post by zefter1234
yep

Any tips or predictions for the anthology?
Original post by Curiousg30rg3
Any tips or predictions for the anthology?

i also do OCR - I have no clue what could come up though 😩
Original post by sunflower49
i also do OCR - I have no clue what could come up though 😩

How are you structuring your answer? I’ve had 3 different teachers all day different things 🤦*♀️
Reply 59
good luck all tomorrow , anyone got any last predictions for the edexcel anthology text or all my sons questions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending