The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Music auditions/interviews

Hello, does anyone have any experience with what Southampton Music degree auditions & interviews are like?
Trying to get everything planned in advance in case they offer me a place
Thanks in advance
Hi, I am a current Music student at Southampton. Apologies for the late reply and I hope this info will still be useful to you (eg the interview hasnt passed already)

Some of my info may be a bit out of date as I applied during covid. We did a virtual audition (uploaded a short recording of a performance online), but I do not know whether they have moved back to in person auditions. You could also opt to send a composition or an essay(i think?) instead of a performance recording. Also, assuming that it hasnt changed since I applied, you should be aware that every applicant is also entered into the pool for a financial scholarship. I did not know this at the time, and if I did I would have probably brought a wider portfolio with me ready to hand over. Note that a portfolio is not needed, but there is no harm in giving them as much info as possible, if that makes sense. My interview was also over Teams. Check your emails to see whether yours is in person or virtual!

As for the interview, well it was very relaxed. All of the lecturers at Soton are very nice and you shouldnt feel stressed at all. Tbh, unless you are applying for Oxbridge or conservatoire, these sorts of interviews are only really to check you are genuine - your predicted grades will likely get you your place. It was so chill I can barely remember what happened in it lol. However, a few things stand out. They will likely ask about your personal statement, your influences and perhaps maybe what you see yourself doing (being unsure is fine!) The guy who interviewed me was a comp lecturer and asked if I could send him a comp I mentioned in my personal statement via email and a few days later he came back and said he liked it. He then sent back some if his favourite youtube videos related to the topic. As i said, very chill!

They will also likely ask what made you apply for Southampton. Try and come prepared with as much knowledge as you can about Southampton (as a place) and the course. If you are an orchestral musician, you could mention the great selection of ensembles in the students union (there are two auditioned orchestras, a wind orchestra, two jazz orchestras etc). Lots of performance opportunities as part of the course like at Turner Sims and The Brook. Could mention the broad scope of modules on offer, mention a few that catch your eye?

In essence, be yourself, be confident and try and engage in a natural, adult conversation. There are no trick questions. This applies to all interviews at Uni. Best of luck, happy to answer any further questions

Happy to answer any other questions you have!
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Musician2
Hi, I am a current Music student at Southampton. Apologies for the late reply and I hope this info will still be useful to you (eg the interview hasnt passed already)

Some of my info may be a bit out of date as I applied during covid. We did a virtual audition (uploaded a short recording of a performance online), but I do not know whether they have moved back to in person auditions. You could also opt to send a composition or an essay(i think?) instead of a performance recording. Also, assuming that it hasnt changed since I applied, you should be aware that every applicant is also entered into the pool for a financial scholarship. I did not know this at the time, and if I did I would have probably brought a wider portfolio with me ready to hand over. Note that a portfolio is not needed, but there is no harm in giving them as much info as possible, if that makes sense. My interview was also over Teams. Check your emails to see whether yours is in person or virtual!

As for the interview, well it was very relaxed. All of the lecturers at Soton are very nice and you shouldnt feel stressed at all. Tbh, unless you are applying for Oxbridge or conservatoire, these sorts of interviews are only really to check you are genuine - your predicted grades will likely get you your place. It was so chill I can barely remember what happened in it lol. However, a few things stand out. They will likely ask about your personal statement, your influences and perhaps maybe what you see yourself doing (being unsure is fine!) The guy who interviewed me was a comp lecturer and asked if I could send him a comp I mentioned in my personal statement via email and a few days later he came back and said he liked it. He then sent back some if his favourite youtube videos related to the topic. As i said, very chill!

They will also likely ask what made you apply for Southampton. Try and come prepared with as much knowledge as you can about Southampton (as a place) and the course. If you are an orchestral musician, you could mention the great selection of ensembles in the students union (there are two auditioned orchestras, a wind orchestra, two jazz orchestras etc). Lots of performance opportunities as part of the course like at Turner Sims and The Brook. Could mention the broad scope of modules on offer, mention a few that catch your eye?

In essence, be yourself, be confident and try and engage in a natural, adult conversation. There are no trick questions. This applies to all interviews at Uni. Best of luck, happy to answer any further questions

Happy to answer any other questions you have!

Hey, thanks so much for the reply, really appreciate it. That's definitely put my mind at ease a little.

I have got a couple more questions actually

1: I'm very familiar with music & its history from the late 19th century to present, but lack a lot of knowledge about classical, Baroque, opera etc. which I can see is a big module. Will I be expected to already be familiar with these styles and eras?
2: Do I need to be a proficient notation reader?

Thanks again for your help!
Reply 3
Hey James, did you get an offer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending