The Student Room Group

How can I work faster

Hi, I‘m a graphic designer

My issue that I have at my job is that I‘m a really slow worker and in my role they expect us to work at a faster pace.

I am a perfectionist and I want things to look perfect. It bothers me if things that I design don‘t look the way want it to look.

I want to work faster while making good quality work

Do you have any advice on how I can work faster
(edited 1 year ago)
listen to music
Original post by R02022
Hi, I‘m a graphic designer

My issue that I have at my job is that I‘m a really slow worker and in my role they expect us to work at a faster pace.

I am a perfectionist and I want things to look perfect. It bothers me if things that I design don‘t look the way want it to look.

I want to work faster while making good quality work

Do you have any advice on how I can work faster

Hi @R02022!

My name is Rohnak, and I am an Animation student in my third year. I was also struggling to find ways to increase the speed I work at, and here are some things that helped me.

Identify Problem Areas
In any field there are lots of little tasks that make up the work. Rather than something vague such as "working faster", it might be good to identify the specific places where your time is getting spent. Maybe you're specifically slow with the pen tool, or maybe you spend a bit too long fiddling with the levels and curves. Awareness of how you spend your time is key, so you can identify what is causing you to fall behind.

Focus Attention
Are you getting distracted? This doesn't just mean checking Reddit or chatting with friends. Maybe you distract yourself by over-planning, or targetting a specific small area instead of evenly spending your time. Make sure you're spending your time as effectively as possible, and allocating it to the parts where it is needed most.

Good enough is good enough
You said that you're a perfectionist, and unfortunately this isn't always a good thing. As artists, it's easy to get bogged down with small details that the average viewer isn't going to care about. This is especially true in a commercial field like graphic design, where you're often going to be making content that people are not going to spend time analysing. It can be a hard truth but a necessary one. As long as your art is competent with regard to the principles of design, it's not worth spending time with minute details that don't impact the final product very much. There's a term in the industry that I can't repeat for this. :biggrin:

Those are my three tips for faster work. Feel free to ask any questions or comments!
Most importantly, good luck!
Rohnak
Escape Studios Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest