The Student Room Group

M56 speed camera

So I'm going down the M56 (60mph limit) on the outside lane with my speed limiter set to 65. As I'm driving I see a speed camera flash but the car infront was going slightly faster. As there was only one flash does that mean only one person set the camera off or am I about to ruin my mums week?
Original post by Tom.Wat501
So I'm going down the M56 (60mph limit) on the outside lane with my speed limiter set to 65. As I'm driving I see a speed camera flash but the car infront was going slightly faster. As there was only one flash does that mean only one person set the camera off or am I about to ruin my mums week?

When you sat "one flash", do you mean one double-flash? (Speed cameras typically take two photos in rapid succession, with a very precise time interval between the two. They can use that time interval, and the distance you've traveled (established from the dashes on the road surface) to establish your speed.

Also, even if there was only one double-flash, it was almost certainly triggered by the car in front if they were going faster than you.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
When you sat "one flash", do you mean one double-flash? (Speed cameras typically take two photos in rapid succession, with a very precise time interval between the two. They can use that time interval, and the distance you've traveled (established from the dashes on the road surface) to establish your speed.

Also, even if there was only one double-flash, it was almost certainly triggered by the car in front if they were going faster than you.

Weird, might be me but I think I only saw a single flash. Not a double
Original post by Tom.Wat501
Weird, might be me but I think I only saw a single flash. Not a double

I don't know of any speed cameras that single-flash. They either don't flash at all (because that use infra-red) or they double-flash. (Also, if the driver ahead of you was driving faster, and it only flashed once, it's difficult to see how you could have been it's target.)

I guess you'll just have to wait for 14 days and see if you get anything in the post.

BTW, the AA have a nice summary of the different types of speed cameras in the second half of this page,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending