The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
ponjavic
Your mental ability most be huge maintaining that throughout the night while you sleep.
Kudos!

Sometimes :rolleyes:. Stop being difficult. Like my lungs :'(
Reply 41
mc_watson87
w00t No!
After readin ya post i had to think about breathing be4 i cud! :eek:

:biggrin: All is well then. I shall make sure you have to think about every little detail before you go to bed now. Heh heh heh....
IHavePMS
:biggrin: All is well then. I shall make sure you have to think about every little detail before you go to bed now. Heh heh heh....

:eek: ='(
Reply 43
Zapsta
But I have to force myself to breathe :frown:. Haven't you read the thread?

No I haven't :redface: (and still haven't even before writing this post :tongue:) You can override your autonomic nervous system via higher brain centres. What do you mean by 'forcing yourself to breathe'??
Reply 44
timeofyourlife
it produces blood cells.

So what in the spine handles reflexes?
Reply 45
Zapsta
But I have to force myself to breathe :frown:. Haven't you read the thread?

Zapsta is the exception of the rules that applies to all the other humans. :rolleyes:

ponjavic
Aww maybe I'm confused :/ what did red bonemarrow do again then?

produce blood cells

timeofyourlife
it's not the spine that control's breathing, it's the respiratory centre in the medulla oblongata of the brainstem. this centre sends impulses via the ANS to the diaphragm etc.

the spine is part of the PNS, and associated mainly with reflex reponses such as drawing your hand away from a heat source.

so i wasn’t wrong
Reply 46
ponjavic
So what in the spine handles reflexes?

this may come as a shock to you, but it may have something to do with.............................................................................................................nerves? :eek:
Reply 47
_EMMA_
Zapsta is the exception of the rules that applies to all the other humans. :rolleyes:

produce blood cells

so i wasn’t wrong

You said muscles controlled it, dunno if the brain is a muscle but if it isn't you were wrong? Not that I care that much I'm not really into biology :biggrin:
Reply 48
timeofyourlife
No I haven't :redface: (and still haven't even before writing this post :tongue:) You can override your autonomic nervous system via higher brain centres. What do you mean by 'forcing yourself to breathe'??

Sometimes I become really aware of my breathing. Rather than breathing in and out, I just breath out as the air kind of drains from my lungs, then I have to think about taking another breath.
Reply 49
timeofyourlife
this may come as a shock to you, but it may have something to do with.............................................................................................................nerves? :eek:

Yeah but for some reason I thought there was a special collaboration or collection of nerves in the spine called red bonemarrow, since it wasn't bonemarrow it should be called something else I thought :smile:
This is what happens when you study for exams instead of actually learning something, and yeah when you don't really have an interest in the subject.
Reply 50
ponjavic
You said muscles controlled it, dunno if the brain is a muscle but if it isn't you were wrong? Not that I care that much I'm not really into biology :biggrin:

i never mentioned the brain. i meant the diaphragm and the muscles(for example) in the intenstens that is a part of the digestion system.
Reply 51
_EMMA_
i never mentioned the brain. i meant the diaphragm and the muscles(for example) in the intenstens that is a part of the digestion system.

Well they should be controlled by nerves (or as I call it red bonemarrow :biggrin:) in the spine still :/
Reply 52
Zapsta
Sometimes I become really aware of my breathing. Rather than breathing in and out, I just breath out as the air kind of drains from my lungs, then I have to think about taking another breath.

:confused: does it happen when you get stressed/anxious? sounds like some sort of psychological thing.. i wouldn't worry too much about it if it doesn't happen very often though, maybe asking someone who isn't merely a second year medical student would be a good first step :wink:
Reply 53
ponjavic
Well they should be controlled by nerves (or as I call it red bonemarrow :biggrin:) in the spine still :/

the diaphragm isn't controlled by nerves?! :confused: you are confusing me i don't know what you mean and now i'm not even sure that i remember anything correctly.
Reply 54
timeofyourlife
:confused: does it happen when you get stressed/anxious? sounds like some sort of psychological thing.. i wouldn't worry too much about it if it doesn't happen very often though, maybe asking someone who isn't merely a second year medical student would be a good first step :wink:

Not really. It's normally when people are discussing breathing :p: (so yes, I'm getting it right now :frown:). And by the sound of things, IHP and Mikey suffer similarly :eek:
Reply 55
_EMMA_
the diaphragm isn't controlled by nerves?! :confused: you are confusing me i don't know what you mean and now i'm not even sure that i remember anything correctly.

All muscles are controlled by nerves? :confused:
Reply 56
ponjavic
Yeah but for some reason I thought there was a special collaboration or collection of nerves in the spine called red bonemarrow, since it wasn't bonemarrow it should be called something else I thought :smile:
This is what happens when you study for exams instead of actually learning something, and yeah when you don't really have an interest in the subject.

you get your dorsal and ventral spinal roots but I'm pretty sure there isn't any bone marrow involved ; )
Reply 57
timeofyourlife
you get your dorsal and ventral spinal roots but I'm pretty sure there isn't any bone marrow involved ; )

Well we allready made it clear I was wrong about the bonemarrow. I'm glad I atleast understand any of this and that all I've read hasn't gone completely to waste :biggrin:
Reply 58
Zapsta
Not really. It's normally when people are discussing breathing :p: (so yes, I'm getting it right now :frown:). And by the sound of things, IHP and Mikey suffer similarly :eek:

Ah well now it's happening to me. As soon as you become aware of your breathing cycle it sort of falls into a "remember to breathe in and out" mentality until you find something better to think about :smile:
Reply 59
timeofyourlife
Ah well now it's happening to me. As soon as you become aware of your breathing cycle it sort of falls into a "remember to breathe in and out" mentality until you find something better to think about :smile:

Yeah. So you admit that breathing isn't instinctive? :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending