The Student Room Group

should I just continue with psychology and counselling?

I’m currently in my first year of psychology and counselling studies at university (been there for like 4 months) and originally I was enjoying the course but knew that I didn’t really want to go into a career involving psychology and counselling anymore. at first I did which is why I chose it but now I don’t know and I wanted to switch courses to interior design but now I don’t even know about that. I felt good and a sense of freedom when I knew that I could possibly change to a course that would help me to explore my creative side a little more but I’m afraid that I’ll end up regretting my decision as I may still want to get a job in health/social care in the future which I know the psychology and counselling course would allow me to do. if I do continue it, I plan on seeing how I feel after the course and then maybe completing a conversion master’s course in another course as I hope to have a better understanding in what I want as a career. I also feel a bit of pressure to just complete the psychology and counselling course due to my lack of knowing what I wanna do in the future but I really don’t want to be miserable for 3 years. if I join the interior design course, it’ll be in sept 2024 meaning I’ll have about 8 months of leisure time until I start and I’m scared that I will regret leaving the psychology and counselling course then feel like a bother if I try and change courses once AGAIN. I feel really stressed and feel like it’ll be a lose-lose situation for me, I’m literally losing sleep and panicking about it sm. I also have a time limit as the psychology and counselling course is starting next week and I’ve also already called student finance and told them that I want to change my course and to cancel my payment. will they still allow me to undo this if I call them? idk man pls help, I’m so stressed about this idk what I want.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by 11ana
I’m currently in my first year of psychology and counselling studies at university (been there for like 4 months) and originally I was enjoying the course but knew that I didn’t really want to go into a career involving psychology and counselling anymore. at first I did which is why I chose it but now I don’t know and I wanted to switch courses to interior design but now I don’t even know about that. I felt good and a sense of freedom when I knew that I could possibly change to a course that would help me to explore my creative side a little more but I’m afraid that I’ll end up regretting my decision as I may still want to get a job in health/social care in the future which I know the psychology and counselling course would allow me to do. if I do continue it, I plan on seeing how I feel after the course and then maybe completing a conversion master’s course in another course as I hope to have a better understanding in what I want as a career. I also feel a bit of pressure to just complete the psychology and counselling course due to my lack of knowing what I wanna do in the future but I really don’t want to be miserable for 3 years. if I join the interior design course, it’ll be in sept 2024 meaning I’ll have about 8 months of leisure time until I start and I’m scared that I will regret leaving the psychology and counselling course then feel like a bother if I try and change courses once AGAIN. I feel really stressed and feel like it’ll be a lose-lose situation for me, I’m literally losing sleep and panicking about it sm. I also have a time limit as the psychology and counselling course is starting next week and I’ve also already called student finance and told them that I want to change my course and to cancel my payment. will they still allow me to undo this if I call them? idk man pls help, I’m so stressed about this idk what I want.

Hi there,

We can't advise to continue or not this would need to be your choice. If if you decide to withdraw from your current course we require the university to send us a change of circumstances so we can update your account and stop payments. If you wish to start a new course September 24/25 a/y you would apply when applications open later this year.

Every student is entitled to funding for the length of their course plus one additional year, minus any previous study. If you have only done this year of study and nothing else previous then you should be fine for finance for your new course.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending