The Student Room Group

Film: production Vs. making?

I’m looking to take film in uni, and I’ve done hours of research into different courses at different unis. My problem is that I can’t find courses with good mixtures of both practical film making (the technical skills such as actual filming/post production/etc) and film creative film making (script writing/screenplay/etc). Does anyone know of any unis and specific courses that offer a good balance of both creative and practical filmmaking? Is this uncommon or am I looking in the wrong directions? Thanks so much.
Reply 1
Original post by rosta
I’m looking to take film in uni, and I’ve done hours of research into different courses at different unis. My problem is that I can’t find courses with good mixtures of both practical film making (the technical skills such as actual filming/post production/etc) and film creative film making (script writing/screenplay/etc). Does anyone know of any unis and specific courses that offer a good balance of both creative and practical filmmaking? Is this uncommon or am I looking in the wrong directions? Thanks so much.

It probably won't be the only uni but all of what you're looking for I got at Gloucestershire.
Original post by rosta

which universities have you been looking at?
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
which universities have you been looking at?

Falmouth, Norwich arts, Bournemouth
Original post by rosta
Falmouth, Norwich arts, Bournemouth

Bournemouth or AUB (AUB is where Bournemouth Film School is based)?

Falmouth and AUB are both practical and will offer opportunities to develop script writing and pitching ideas.

Have you looked at westminster and herts?
Or Leeds Beckett?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
Bournemouth or AUB (AUB is where Bournemouth Film School is based)?

Falmouth and AUB are both practical and will offer opportunities to develop script writing and pitching ideas.

Have you looked at westminster and herts?
Or Leeds Beckett?

AUB. I’ve looked briefly at Westminster but I thought the course seemed more theory-based. This may be wrong- please let me know what you think! I haven’t looked at the other two- but I’ll look into them.

Thanks so much
Check some of the Leeds based unis, especially Leeds Art. They're really good for it and have great facilities. Only thing I would say is definitely don't go to Huddersfield. It might offer the mix you want, but they have no idea how to teach and really don't give a damn about most students, apart from their select favourites.
Reply 7
Original post by kaitj23
Check some of the Leeds based unis, especially Leeds Art. They're really good for it and have great facilities. Only thing I would say is definitely don't go to Huddersfield. It might offer the mix you want, but they have no idea how to teach and really don't give a damn about most students, apart from their select favourites.

Thank you, I’ve heard some good things about Leeds and unis there. I’ll look into Leeds art, I really appreciate it.
Original post by rosta

Hello,
It's fantastic that you're interested in Film. You might wish to look at University of Sunderland if you're interested in pursuing a career in screenwriting for films, including knowledge and expertise of pre-production and post-production. The Film Production BA (Hons) course, in particular, I believe would best match your interests.
As I am in my first year of Film production, I can tell you a about this course. A film production at University of Sunderland course will usually cover every stage of the filmmaking process, from pre-production through post-production. Scriptwriting, directing, cinematography, sound design, editing, and distribution are all covered.
It also focuses on the study and analysis of films, as well as the history of cinema, rather than just filmmaking. Cinema Theory, Film Analysis, Genre Studies, Critical Approaches, and Film and Society are among the themes covered.
In your first year, you will study Narrative scriptwriting, where you will learn the key skills of storytelling through workshops on narratives and formats, and you will use those skills to inform your work and professional development. Produce an independently written short script, as well as a treatment and pitch. You can also study Screenwriting in depth as a module in your second year. It is beneficial to comprehend the concepts and techniques used in writing drama or comedy for television or streaming services such as Netflix or Amazon.
You will also learn the Single Camera Production module, which will provide you an overview of the methods and techniques used in single camera video production. Discover the technical procedures and artistic abilities necessary to create a video. Working with a production team, create, develop, script, shoot, and edit a three-minute production.
The course consists of both academic lectures and practical workshops in which you may apply your knowledge in real-world circumstances. You will also get the chance to work with industry-standard equipment and materials.
From day one, you’ll have access to specialized digital cameras, sound recording equipment, lighting kit, Steadicam rigs, and professional editing software packages such as Avid Media Composer, Adobe Premier Pro and Da Vinci Resolve.

Please let me know if you have any more queries!
Kind regards,
Mrunali Kalbhor,
University of Sunderland Student ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending