The Student Room Group

CS/Natsci Oxbridge Help?!

Hi, I’m studying Maths, Further maths, Chemistry and Computer Science and i’m in y12 (all 9s, one 8 at gcse, predicted A*s and As)- I didn’t decide to take physics alevel but i’m really regretting my decision and my school won’t let me switch at this stage. i’ve always loved science for as long as i can remember and started enjoying programming recently. I’m wondering what the CS and Natsci courses are like at cambridge and how they differ, i want to keep studying science but can’t pick between the two- my first choice atm is Computer Science and Chemistry (in Natsci) at durham as it lets me keep both subjects going. Im deciding between applying for CS at oxbridge or Natsci at cambridge but fear i’ll be at a massive disadvantage with only one main science alevel (chemistry), although it still allows me choice in streams, i might be at a disadvantage at entry and admission… atm i’m just really stressed and regretting not taking physics (as i’m interested in the fundamentals of nature) and debating doing another year of college to get physics alevel. also, my head is jumping between cs and natsci/chemistry so frequently i become absolutely sold on one for a few hours then start stressing and swap to the other- does anyone have any advice on course overlap, admission, switching from one to the other after a term etc? thanks so much!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I’m studying Maths, Further maths, Chemistry and Computer Science and i’m in y12 (all 9s, one 8 at gcse, predicted A*s and As)- I didn’t decide to take physics alevel but i’m really regretting my decision and my school won’t let me switch at this stage. i’ve always loved science for as long as i can remember and started enjoying programming recently. I’m wondering what the CS and Natsci courses are like at cambridge and how they differ, i want to keep studying science but can’t pick between the two- my first choice atm is Computer Science and Chemistry (in Natsci) at durham as it lets me keep both subjects going. Im deciding between applying for CS at oxbridge or Natsci at cambridge but fear i’ll be at a massive disadvantage with only one main science alevel (chemistry), although it still allows me choice in streams, i might be at a disadvantage at entry and admission… atm i’m just really stressed and regretting not taking physics (as i’m interested in the fundamentals of nature) and debating doing another year of college to get physics alevel. also, my head is jumping between cs and natsci/chemistry so frequently i become absolutely sold on one for a few hours then start stressing and swap to the other- does anyone have any advice on course overlap, admission, switching from one to the other after a term etc? thanks so much!

Have you not considered chemistry at Oxford? Your A levels would be perfect for that and there is a fair amount of using programming to model things in chemistry (hence it is part of the chemistry course at Oxford). But alas, I digress.

With Cambridge natsci, the elective parts of the further maths course you are taking may have an influence (i.e you could be eligible to take the physics module if you are doing a mechanics section in further maths in lieu of taking physics at A level). Since you are taking chemistry and maths, you can choose pretty much any elective modules with Cambridge natsci that you want (see course outline: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/natural-sciences). I’d say look through the options and see if they appeal.

Oxford Compsci I know next to nothing about, though I would urge you to look at the website and see if it appeals more than the Cambridge natsci. https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/computer-science
Original post by TypicalNerd
Have you not considered chemistry at Oxford? Your A levels would be perfect for that and there is a fair amount of using programming to model things in chemistry (hence it is part of the chemistry course at Oxford). But alas, I digress.

With Cambridge natsci, the elective parts of the further maths course you are taking may have an influence (i.e you could be eligible to take the physics module if you are doing a mechanics section in further maths in lieu of taking physics at A level). Since you are taking chemistry and maths, you can choose pretty much any elective modules with Cambridge natsci that you want (see course outline: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/natural-sciences). I’d say look through the options and see if they appeal.

Oxford Compsci I know next to nothing about, though I would urge you to look at the website and see if it appeals more than the Cambridge natsci. https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/computer-science

Thank you for your reply! I have looked into Chem at Oxford and it certainly looks interesting. I’m just scared about ending up with no room for variety and the Cambridge course looks great with Earth Science and Material Science modules. Is there any way of switching courses after a few terms at oxbridge (in case i become disenchanted with the course)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending