The Student Room Group

A level choices

I took Chemistry a level at the start of year 12 as I thought it would fit my subjects
I don't have any real interest in Chemistry and I'm failing at it as I'm just bad at it
I wanted to take History as I'm very good at it and it interests me but I couldn't because of the blocks
It's already been about 8 months its to late to change I don't know what to do
Reply 1
So I am assuming year 12 is S5 in Scotland, well, you still have a year left. Try to stay for S6 or Year 13. 8 months in is too dangerous to switch subjects, you legit can't lose more than let's say 2 months of work. Take History at Higher, or Advanced Higher (AS or A levels) if you're able to "crash course" a subject. Depending on how confident you are of course. Trust your gut too, if you think History is your strength, and maybe you can get a career from it, then definitely do History next year. I am having a similar problem, but with Higher Engineering Science (or just engineering at AS level I think). I am one month away from my exams, I personally will not drop the subject, I will revise a little and hope for the best. If you think revising will take too much time from other subjects, drop the subject (Chemistry). Please speak with your guidance teacher or whatever you call them at your end. I wish you luck, comrade.
If you’re still in Year 12, and your college/sixth forms allows it, you could ask to drop chemistry at the end of Year 12, and pick up history at the start of year 13?

Unfortunately, yes, it may mean you’ll have to stay at college another year while your friends go off to university and beyond, and you may have to do other subjects alongside it so you have enough hours to qualify for funding as a full-time student (for instance; if you stay an additional year at my college because you changed a subject between year 12 and year 13, you’ve also got to do EPQ and a shorter, 1 year course alongside it to qualify for 16-19 funding), but it’s definitely better than staying in a subject you hate, and know you may fail the exams in at the end.

Try and have a chat with your current teachers, or even your head of year/sixth form about it, and see if they’ll allow it - education is free (at least in England) for 16-19 year olds, with three years being funded (the years where you are 16-17, 17-18, 18-19), so they could allow you to have another year with them to complete the second year of history :smile:
Original post by Caius k
I took Chemistry a level at the start of year 12 as I thought it would fit my subjects
I don't have any real interest in Chemistry and I'm failing at it as I'm just bad at it
I wanted to take History as I'm very good at it and it interests me but I couldn't because of the blocks

As @blue_dalmatian said, talk to your school about repeating year 12 and taking history instead of chemistry. It is not an uncommon thing to do and it means that you will be taking subjects you enjoy and could achieve potentially better grades. Going to uni a year later will not matter - there will be many students who have had gap years and changed uni courses. Now is the best time to make a change without significant costs.
Original post by Caius k

Heya!
I would recommend talking to your teacher and seeing if there is an option for you to switch subjects or not. Unfortunately, it may mean you'll have to stay in college for another year :frown: Talk to your teacher and see what can be done, they will be able to help you out greatly :smile:

Good luck!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 5
I am kind of in the same position but I knew earlier on. I don’t really like product design and I want to take Chem instead as it fits what with what I want to do as I need 2 sciences. Therefore I will be redoing the year. I was told by my form tutor to drop it now and start going over Chem content, I do think this is a good idea, but I don’t want anyone else to think I made a dumb decision by choosing the wrong subject, so I’m thinking to wait after mocks and then blame it on this as others may also have to. Please message me if you have any questions or just want to talk about this.

Quick Reply

Latest