The Student Room Group

Extra GCSE Maths Grade 8/9 Questions

I've taught a lot of students over the years who are targeting grade 8/9 for GCSE maths and want to practice as many of the harder questions as possible. I often use Level 2 Further Maths questions since many of them could be in a GCSE Maths exam.

Instead of having to keep looking through each paper to find GCSE level questions, this year I have put together documents containing some of these questions and I thought I'd post them here in case they are useful for students on TSR.

I'll start by attaching non-calculator questions and I'll attach calculator questions to this post soon:

Non-Calculator Questions

Calculator Questions

(Download the PDF for better quality)

Note : these questions have a big focus on algebra, trigonometry and geometry and miss big things in GCSE like statistics and probability.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Notnek
I've taught a lot of students over the years who are targeting grade 8/9 for GCSE maths and want to practice as many of the harder questions as possible. I often use Level 2 Further Maths questions since many of them could be in a GCSE Maths exam.

Instead of having to keep looking through each paper to find GCSE level questions, this year I have put together documents containing some of these questions and I thought I'd post them here in case they are useful for students on TSR.

I'll start by attaching non-calculator questions and I'll attach calculator questions to this post soon:

Non-Calculator Questions

Note : these questions have a big focus on algebra, trigonometry and geometry and miss big things in GCSE like statistics and probability.

There are already a lot on Dr Frost: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=Full%20Coverage%20Revision%20Worksheets&term=GCSE

Level 2 FM: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?sid=29168

Edexcel also have produced resources aimed at top grades 'Aiming for a grade 9' - freely available - just ask your teacher
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
There are already a lot on Dr Frost: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=Full%20Coverage%20Revision%20Worksheets&term=GCSE

Level 2 FM: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?sid=29168

Edexcel also have produced resources aimed at top grades 'Aiming for a grade 9' - freely available - just ask your teacher

Are you replying the right thread? I'm not a student.
Original post by Notnek
Are you replying the right thread? I'm not a student.

Yes - there are plenty of resources already out there ... perhaps you were unaware of the Edexcel ones?
Reply 4
Yes - there are plenty of resources already out there ... perhaps you were unaware of the Edexcel ones?

I'm aware of all of them and I'm giving more which I've always found very useful for students targeting grade 8/9 but most students aren't aware of.
Reply 5
Do you have access to the Emporium then? It's meant for teachers ...

Yes I do. I’m still a teacher even though I’m not full time anymore.

Not sure what this has got to do with anything though.
Original post by Notnek
Yes I do.

Surely having my links adds to your thread ... I think students don't ask for extra examples as I don't know any teachers who don't give extension work.
Reply 7
Surely having my links adds to your thread ... I think students don't ask for extra examples as I don't know any teachers who don't give extension work.

I’m just posting resources that I’ve created or find useful, which I’ve been doing for many years on TSR.

Feel free to post whatever resources you like but comments like “there are already a lot” and other off topic posts are unnecessary and I’m not sure what you’re trying to achieve.
Original post by Notnek
I’m just posting resources that I’ve created or find useful, which I’ve been doing for many years on TSR.

Feel free to post whatever resources you like but comments like “there are already a lot” and other off topic posts are unnecessary and I’m not sure what you’re trying to achieve.

It would be helpful to say which papers these come from so people can find the paper should they want to.
Reply 9
It would be helpful to say which papers these come from so people can find the paper should they want to.

I didn't think that would be very useful for GCSE Maths students since these are questions taken from further maths papers and I've included the mark schemes.
Original post by Notnek
I didn't think that would be very useful for GCSE Maths students since these are questions taken from further maths papers and I've included the mark schemes.

Which specific papers though? I recognise them but students won't. Personally I thinnk the Edexcel resources are better - all the Aiming for a grade 9 papers are written by GCSE examiners so more appropriate.
Reply 11
Which specific papers though? I recognise them but students won't. Personally I thinnk the Edexcel resources are better - all the Aiming for a grade 9 papers are written by GCSE examiners so more appropriate.

They are from Level 2 Further Maths papers but I picked questions that are GCSE maths level. I don’t know know why you think knowing the specific papers is relevant since this resource is not designed for further maths.

I agree that the Edexcel resources are better. This is just another resource which I use with high ability students.
Original post by Notnek
They are from Level 2 Further Maths papers but I picked questions that are GCSE maths level. I don’t know know why you think knowing the specific papers is relevant since this resource is not designed for further maths.

I agree that the Edexcel resources are better. This is just another resource which I use with high ability students.

You should acknowledge where the copyright rests ...
Original post by Notnek

Non-Calculator Questions

I did GCSE maths 4 years ago, but this might be a helpful thread for students :smile:.
Original post by Notnek

Non-Calculator Questions

Is there any end to your awesomeness?

This is a brilliant thread and I’m absolutely sure many students will benefit from this.

:smile:
Reply 15
You should acknowledge where the copyright rests ...

Good point. I will edit to reference to the papers later today.
:adore:

Quick Reply

Latest