The Student Room Group

Are maintenance loans compulsory?

In cases where the parents are in a position to 'keep at home for free' or 'loan' the student (their child) the money for maintenance costs themselves, are they able to do so? What might be the advantages/disadvantages of so doing?
Original post by Hoges123
In cases where the parents are in a position to 'keep at home for free' or 'loan' the student (their child) the money for maintenance costs themselves, are they able to do so? What might be the advantages/disadvantages of so doing?

Maintenance loans are not compulsory, no. If your parents can provide you with sufficient funds (either as a gift or a loan) then that's perfectly fine.

When you ask about advantages/disadvantages, are you talking about for you or your parents? If you receive a loan from your parents, that would very much depend on the terms in the loan. If it would be a gift from your parents, then the advantage is obvious and (assuming it's sufficient to live off, and that there are no strings attached), then I see no disadvantage. Unless you want financial independence from your parents, that is.
Reply 2
Hi, the loan would be at a beneficial rate of interest comparable to current savings rates - say 3.5% - which would still be half that of the student loan rate of the 6.9% capped RPI. That way it is a win-win for parents and student. That said, by helping out with jobs around the house I am sure some non-financial 'payback' could be factored in.
Hi, the loan would be at a beneficial rate of interest comparable to current savings rates - say 3.5% - which would still be half that of the student loan rate of the 6.9% capped RPI. That way it is a win-win for parents and student. That said, by helping out with jobs around the house I am sure some non-financial 'payback' could be factored in.

If this is being treated as a loan, I suggest you have an agreement in writing with your parents as to how much is being lent to you, and the arrangements for paying it back. This doesn't necessarily need to be a formal legal document, but may help with any disputes you have in the future -- the human memory is notoriously unreliable.
Reply 4

Surely using savings which would generate 3.5% pre-tax would be better than using debt at 6.9%....?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Quady
Surely using savings which would generate 3.5% pre-tax would be better than using debt at 6.9%....?

It all depends on your future earnings potential . If you never earn over the 25 or 27 K threshold ( depending on when you started your degree) the interest rate never comes into it as you don’t pay anything back! And given that you only pay back 9% of what you earn over and above this threshold for the 30 / 40 years afterwards, most graduates will never earn enough to pay off the capital, let alone the interest. It depends on your degree and your chosen career path and earnings afterwards whether parental financing costs more or less than SFE.
Reply 6
Original post by Euapp
It all depends on your future earnings potential . If you never earn over the 25 or 27 K threshold ( depending on when you started your degree) the interest rate never comes into it as you don’t pay anything back! And given that you only pay back 9% of what you earn over and above this threshold for the 30 / 40 years afterwards, most graduates will never earn enough to pay off the capital, let alone the interest. It depends on your degree and your chosen career path and earnings afterwards whether parental financing costs more or less than SFE.

Well that's true enough. I suspect there are few cases where a parent is able/willing to front up fees and then the kid flunks life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending