The Student Room Group

computer science at University

Does computer science have alot of maths ? I'm interested in the software engineering side of things .

I know a couple of universities let non computer science graduates on to the masters programmes such as the university of east anglia.

I've heard it is hard degree to pass I'm not sure . Obviously the money side of things is attractive but I'm not sure if I would be smart enough to gain a good grade
A proper computer science program will have quite a lot of math yes. You can probably find some universities which won't be very math heavy but the field is by in large very mathematically inclined.

A proper computer science program will at minimum have single variable calculus and discrete mathematics, with most also having linear algebra in addition to probability & statistics. It would be very difficult to find a reputable university which does not require A Level Math.

If you are interested in computer science solely because of the money, I'm afraid it won't get you very far. You might be able to get into the management side of things but it will be very difficult to pass if you're not passionate about the subject.

Computer science relies on a lot of math in addition to doing a lot of programming. These two things are very difficult to learn with minimal effort.

Also its important to note the difference between these three terms: computer science, software development and information technology. Computer science is an academic field, its essentially applied math. You learn discrete math (similar to the decision maths module) and then a lot of programming. Software development is the more practical field, its about the process of developing software. There won't be as much theory but there will still be a lot of programming. Information technology is the least math heavy of the three, its more about memorization of various ideas like designing networks or setting up corporate information systems -- not as much programming as the previous two either.

You might want to consider Information Technology if you don't like math but are still somewhat passionate about technology. If you enjoy programming but no so much math, try to find a software development centered program. Computer science is the ideal program you should go to though, most employers don't care about whether or not you know the software development lifecycle or how SCRUM works -- they do care however about the fundamentals... and CS is all about fundamental principles.
Reply 2
Original post by Zacky VT
A proper computer science program will have quite a lot of math yes. You can probably find some universities which won't be very math heavy but the field is by in large very mathematically inclined.

A proper computer science program will at minimum have single variable calculus and discrete mathematics, with most also having linear algebra in addition to probability & statistics. It would be very difficult to find a reputable university which does not require A Level Math.

If you are interested in computer science solely because of the money, I'm afraid it won't get you very far. You might be able to get into the management side of things but it will be very difficult to pass if you're not passionate about the subject.

Computer science relies on a lot of math in addition to doing a lot of programming. These two things are very difficult to learn with minimal effort.

Also its important to note the difference between these three terms: computer science, software development and information technology. Computer science is an academic field, its essentially applied math. You learn discrete math (similar to the decision maths module) and then a lot of programming. Software development is the more practical field, its about the process of developing software. There won't be as much theory but there will still be a lot of programming. Information technology is the least math heavy of the three, its more about memorization of various ideas like designing networks or setting up corporate information systems -- not as much programming as the previous two either.

You might want to consider Information Technology if you don't like math but are still somewhat passionate about technology. If you enjoy programming but no so much math, try to find a software development centered program. Computer science is the ideal program you should go to though, most employers don't care about whether or not you know the software development lifecycle or how SCRUM works -- they do care however about the fundamentals... and CS is all about fundamental principles.

Thank you so much. You have definitely provided me with a realistic view of the course.
Original post by Rose_99
Does computer science have alot of maths ? I'm interested in the software engineering side of things .

I know a couple of universities let non computer science graduates on to the masters programmes such as the university of east anglia.

I've heard it is hard degree to pass I'm not sure . Obviously the money side of things is attractive but I'm not sure if I would be smart enough to gain a good grade

Hi! I'm assuming this is a question regarding Computer Science at a Postgraduate Master's level. I'm in my final year of CS at undergrad so I'm not sure if this will help entirely but depending on the discipline of CS you choose to go into for your Master's there will most likely be a lot of maths. This also depends on certain universities and which Master's programme you want to go into. I'm guessing you're looking for Software Engineering MSc courses? Some universities may outline their entry requirements, course structure and modules in detail so you might get a clearer view of whether you need a strong background in maths.

If possible, it might also help to find a current Master's student doing the programme you want to do and at the university you want to go to. Some unis have postgrad ambassadors on a platform called Unibuddy which you can contact current students on.

I hope that helps!

- Sophia (Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending