The Student Room Group

Bristol engineering design (+industry) or Sheffield mech eng

Hi, ive received offers from both and am deciding which to firm between the two. I didnt really expect an offer from bristol so I dont know much about the uni but ive heard it/this course is supposedly more reputable than sheffield.
i have a contextual offer for both so my entry grades are same for both courses too

however picking bristol over sheffield has these cons:
- not as great student union (saw it ranked as one of the lowest on one table)
- cant study abroad
- less potential scholarship availability
- apparently cliquey

that said, my priority is whichever course will grant me the best career prospects as i really wanna work abroad someday (also wanna make lots of friends)
also my other options are loughborough and warwick, in case they might be better than these two pls lmk

any advice is appreciated, thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by catss
Hi, ive received offers from both and am deciding which to firm between the two. I didnt really expect an offer from bristol so I dont know much about the uni but ive heard it/this course is supposedly more reputable than sheffield.
i have a contextual offer for both so my entry grades are same for both courses too

- cant study abroad
- apparently cliquey

that said, my priority is whichever course will grant me the best career prospects as i really wanna work abroad someday (also wanna make lots of friends)
also my other options are loughborough and warwick, in case they might be better than these two pls lmk

hey, i don’t know anything about your course but i’ve lived in bristol my whole life and it’s a really amazing city! the uni seems great from what i can tell, and it’s definitely higher ranked than sheffield overall.
The city itself is super nice and there’s loads to do, and if i didn’t live here i’d 100% apply to it for uni !
Original post by catss

- cant study abroad
- apparently cliquey

Hi @catss,

I noticed that you mentioned Loughborough so I wanted to comment.

I would have a look at all of the universities you've picked here and go to the individual course pages that you've applied for. On them, you should be able to find module details, placement information or careers information (as I know you mentioned you're interested in this). Compare them and see if one stands out to you more than the other.

Then I would consider the campuses and the location of each of these universities. They are all in different parts of the UK, so this could help you make your decision.

Finally, I would think about any societies or sports you may want to get involved in and see if the universities offer them.

Overall, it may be best to pick wherever you will see yourself most happy. If you do have time to visit the universities or take a look at any virtual tours, I would recommend this too!

I know you may have done some of this research already and I'm also aware that there are other factors when deciding which university to go to, but I hope this helps! If you do have any questions about Loughborough, let me know :smile:

- Lindsay
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest