The Student Room Group

Do I have to have work experience to study chemistry at university?

Is it necessary? I don’t want to make the mistake of not doing anything. I’m in year 12 right now, so I think I still have time.
No, but you improve your chances of a successful application to a competitive course if, in addition to meeting academic requirements. you have done things that demonstrate a genuine interest in/aptitude for any subject you want to study . That could be relevant work experience, could be wider reading, could be participating in a relevant club/society, could be attending relevant public lectures......
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
No, but you improve your chances of a successful application to a competitive course if, in addition to meeting academic requirements. you have done things that demonstrate a genuine interest in/aptitude for any subject you want to study . That could be relevant work experience, could be wider reading, could be participating in a relevant club/society, could be attending relevant public lectures......

Thanks for responding! I don’t have much right now, but I have done a bit of wider reading. Do you know if it’s worth putting piano in my application? The last grade I got is grade 5, which isn’t that great really. I’m also going to join the orchestra soon with trumpet, but I don’t see how it relates to chemistry. How can I make it relate?
Original post by sea bee
Thanks for responding! I don’t have much right now, but I have done a bit of wider reading. Do you know if it’s worth putting piano in my application? The last grade I got is grade 5, which isn’t that great really. I’m also going to join the orchestra soon with trumpet, but I don’t see how it relates to chemistry. How can I make it relate?

Your PS should focus on why you want to do chemistry and why you are a good candidate. Hobbies and interests can be mentioned to show you are a more rounded person but they don't do much for your application in the UK unless they relate to your course or they really develop more general transferable skills that will be applicable (things like time management, managing priorities, hitting deadlines, team work, etc). Don't think I ever mentioned my semi-pro trumpet playing when I applied for Biochem but when I bumped into one of my chemistry lecturers on a train I remember him advising me to drop university study and travel the world as a musician :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi! I’m a year 13 student but I also applied to chemistry. For my PS, I listed a lot of super curricular activities I’ve participated in, which made up quite a bit of my PS, and I’d recommend taking part in some of those! Super curriculars could vary from extra reading to science events you’ve attended. For example, I competed in some science competitions and went to a few lectures about chemistry, all of which I included!

I feel like things related to science are much more enticing to uni’s than work experience (unless it’s science related) because it shows that you’re passionate. For my PS, my job in fast food had about one line and honestly didn’t add much compared to my super curriculars 😊

Quick Reply

Latest