The Student Room Group

Gcse options for architecture

For gcse we get 3 options (in a welsh medium school). I am considering triple science, art and design and geography or dt. For going into architecture, specifically environmentally friendly architecture with would be more beneficial, dt or geography if I'm already taking art and triple science?
I think DT would give you more of the designing skills required for architecture, but Geography would be useful in terms of the environment side of architecture - although you do study (certainly in England at least) some things about climate and the environment in Biology and Chemistry
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I think DT would give you more of the designing skills required for architecture, but Geography would be useful in terms of the environment side of architecture - although you do study (certainly in England at least) some things about climate and the environment in Biology and Chemistry

It doesn't matter too much what you take at GCSE. Just taking art and design is fine for architecture. So if you want to broaden your subjects, take geography.
Thank you, that was my thinking I just wasn't sure if dt would be more helpful. I think I will do geography in that case. :smile:

Thank you. As I'm already going to take art, what skills will I be gaining taking dt, as both are quite design based? I feel both subjects would be quite valuable but as I'm already taking art geography might open more doors. In regards to a levels I will likely take art physics and maths, thefore I won't really need either, just as a way to learn more about relevant things that could also be transferred during a level
Original post by ArtisticEagle
Thank you. As I'm already going to take art, what skills will I be gaining taking dt, as both are quite design based? I feel both subjects would be quite valuable but as I'm already taking art geography might open more doors. In regards to a levels I will likely take art physics and maths, thefore I won't really need either, just as a way to learn more about relevant things that could also be transferred during a level

DT is more mathematical than art, and more precise than art which I think would probably make DT more valuable than art
DT is more mathematical than art, and more precise than art which I think would probably make DT more valuable than art

I suppose so. Although after looking into it, a lot of universities like u to submit a portfolio for architecture coureses of art work and value that you have taken art, which also makes the process of putting a portfolio together easier. And i just like art.
For gcse we get 3 options (in a welsh medium school). I am considering triple science, art and design and geography or dt. For going into architecture, specifically environmentally friendly architecture with would be more beneficial, dt or geography if I'm already taking art and triple science?

Heya!
Typically unis don't mind what GCSEs you do, so pick the ones that are interesting to you :h: Perhaps look at the content as well and pick the one that sounds more interesting to you!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
Typically unis don't mind what GCSEs you do, so pick the ones that are interesting to you :h: Perhaps look at the content as well and pick the one that sounds more interesting to you!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Okay thank you! 😊

It doesn't matter too much what you take at GCSE. it's mainly a- level where it matters which subjects you take. I'd do whichever you will enjoy most and get the best grades in.

Quick Reply

Latest