The Student Room Group

Named pathways LLB SOAS?

I dont get what named pathways mean. Does that mean I can end up with a degree like Law with Japanese Law or Law with Chinese Law?
Original post by imloki
I dont get what named pathways mean. Does that mean I can end up with a degree like Law with Japanese Law or Law with Chinese Law?

It might help if you can provide a link to the page which uses the phrase "named pathways" so we can see it in context.
Reply 2
Oh yes, sorry, I should've done that. They mention it in the "Structure" section. https://www.soas.ac.uk/study/find-course/llb-year-abroad
Original post by imloki
Oh yes, sorry, I should've done that. They mention it in the "Structure" section. https://www.soas.ac.uk/study/find-course/llb-year-abroad

Thanks for that. They don't make it terribly clear, do they?

From what I can glean from the page you linked to, this page, and other random snippets on the SOAS web site, a "named pathway" appears to be a specific variant of a degree ("LLB Law with a Year Abroad" in your case) which places emphasis on a particular region of the world without embedding that regional information in the title of the degree. If you are on a named pathway, then it appears to influence the optional modules which you can choose, and the university you would study at during your year abroad.

Quite how you would opt for a named pathway (or opt for no named pathway, giving you the freedom to select any optional modules or partner university) isn't clear. Can I suggest that you contact [email protected] (or +44 (0)20 3510 6974) and ask?
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Thanks for that. They don't make it terribly clear, do they?

From what I can glean from the page you linked to, this page, and other random snippets on the SOAS web site, a "named pathway" appears to be a specific variant of a degree ("LLB Law with a Year Abroad" in your case) which places emphasis on a particular region of the world without embedding that regional information in the title of the degree. If you are on a named pathway, then it appears to influence the optional modules which you can choose, and the university you would study at during your year abroad.

Quite how you would opt for a named pathway (or opt for no named pathway, giving you the freedom to select any optional modules or partner university) isn't clear. Can I suggest that you contact [email protected] (or +44 (0)20 3510 6974) and ask?

Yes, I was thinking of directly contacting the university as well but just wanted to ask here first in case I was just being stupid... Thank you so much for helping me look at the website too. I really appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending