The Student Room Group

EPQ

I've currently applied to do an EPQ at college. I've done some general research into it but I'd just like to gain some additional knowledge on it so if anyone could help it would be much appreciated!
Original post by munchypoosticks
I've currently applied to do an EPQ at college. I've done some general research into it but I'd just like to gain some additional knowledge on it so if anyone could help it would be much appreciated!

hey! I dropped it, but my school was quite good at providing resources x

So i'd recommend doing a course (bath did a good 6 week course on Future Learn for the EPQ).

Do some more MOOCs for the EPQ, to help build your skills.
Then, have a place to store any references. Like maybe notion or google doc or word?
Use Harvard referencing, it is so quick and easy to use.

Create your timetable to fit the EPQ into your life (my biggest regret...)

Hopefully this helps xx
Original post by munchypoosticks

It's definitely worth doing an EPQ, if not for the experience then for the UCAS points. It's worth 50% of an A Level - more than an AS, actually - and the UCAS points reflect that.

EPQs entail either: (a) a 5,000 word dissertation on a topic of your choice; or (b) a product and a 1,000 word essay to accompany it. You'll have a supervisor to examine your project, and will take it as an extracurricular. You'll also have to critically analyse and assess sources on the subject you choose.

EPQ carries a maximum of 28 points for the A*, and is a hit with universities on your application. A good grade tends to do one of three things depending on your university:

Lowers your offer. A university will look highly on an A* or A grade as a sign you can cope with defending your argument at the end of your degree. Some universities knock a whole grade off an entry requirement for a good EPQ grade.

Gives you extra UCAS points. If a university prefers to use UCAS points rather than grades as entry requirements, an EPQ adds quite a few UCAS points to your application.

Does nothing. Some universities (particularly in the Russell Group) don't reward the EPQ as not all schools give sixth formers access to it, and don't count it to keep the playing field level. However, that doesn't mean it won't impress them on your application.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask if you need more information :smile:
Original post by Sir Erling
It's definitely worth doing an EPQ, if not for the experience then for the UCAS points. It's worth 50% of an A Level - more than an AS, actually - and the UCAS points reflect that.

EPQs entail either: (a) a 5,000 word dissertation on a topic of your choice; or (b) a product and a 1,000 word essay to accompany it. You'll have a supervisor to examine your project, and will take it as an extracurricular. You'll also have to critically analyse and assess sources on the subject you choose.

EPQ carries a maximum of 28 points for the A*, and is a hit with universities on your application. A good grade tends to do one of three things depending on your university:

Lowers your offer. A university will look highly on an A* or A grade as a sign you can cope with defending your argument at the end of your degree. Some universities knock a whole grade off an entry requirement for a good EPQ grade.

Gives you extra UCAS points. If a university prefers to use UCAS points rather than grades as entry requirements, an EPQ adds quite a few UCAS points to your application.

Does nothing. Some universities (particularly in the Russell Group) don't reward the EPQ as not all schools give sixth formers access to it, and don't count it to keep the playing field level. However, that doesn't mean it won't impress them on your application.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask if you need more information :smile:

I am doing 4 a levels, and I dropped the EPQ.
Would I still get these benefits?
(its compulsory to do my 4th a level)
Original post by DaydreamingTeen

You poor soul, 4 alavels arent even compulsory anymore

Sorry for late reply but yes. I'm doing 4 + EPQ also; you'll still get the UCAS points, etc.
Sorry for late reply but yes. I'm doing 4 + EPQ also; you'll still get the UCAS points, etc.

Wow, that's amazing!
I wish I could cope with all that.
I think I dropped my EPQ because of my lack of time management
Wow, that's amazing!
I wish I could cope with all that.
I think I dropped my EPQ because of my lack of time management

From my experience if anything the EPQ actually improved my time management: I've had to change my plans quite frequently since teachers went on strike, school trips, etc; so it definitely helps.

If you still have the opportunity to do EPQ as a Y12, 100% take it, regardless of if you've got 3 or 4 A Levels. You can afford to occasionally put it on the back-burner: you don't get that benefit when doing it as a Y13; as your deadlines are much too costly to afford to miss.
From my experience if anything the EPQ actually improved my time management: I've had to change my plans quite frequently since teachers went on strike, school trips, etc; so it definitely helps.

If you still have the opportunity to do EPQ as a Y12, 100% take it, regardless of if you've got 3 or 4 A Levels. You can afford to occasionally put it on the back-burner: you don't get that benefit when doing it as a Y13; as your deadlines are much too costly to afford to miss.

That is true.
Yes, I highly regret dropping it.

I don't have the opportunity now, but I wish I read your message sooner haha.
What a-levels did you do?
That is true.
Yes, I highly regret dropping it.

I don't have the opportunity now, but I wish I read your message sooner haha.
What a-levels did you do?

I did Computer Science, English Lang, History and Spanish. My EPQ was on language death, so had to work around not making it clash with English Language.

To clarify my earlier point, it's not a *bad* idea to do EPQ in Year 13, just that your timeframe is slightly shorter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending