The Student Room Group

Easter holidays a level revision

How would you recommend ppl go for A*s in A Levels French, English Literature and History? I got AAA* in the match mocks but I really want 3 A*s
I'm also doing french a level right now and i got A* in the mock and basically what i do is
for paper 1 (reading/listening): bang out grammar and vocab, practice summaries and translation specifically and try to listen to french as often as you can and make sure it's a little bit faster and more complicated than is comfortable and treat it like a dictation - jot down what you think you hear then check with subtitles.
for speaking:
IRP - make up questions you think you might be asked and make fancy paragraphs to answer them and then just memorise them. Then practice dodging questions you don't know and somehow turning them into the answers you've prepared. However, leave some small things unprepared where you know the facts but you don't have the grammar ready so you have at least some spontaneous stuff because you don't want to sound like you're just verbal vomiting the entire time.
Speaking card: practise paraphrasing stuff for the first question and just gargle a bunch of facts and examples by using mindmaps/ flashcard/ blurting etc. Also try to use good opinion phrases and make sure to use some subjunctive and si stuff.
For writing: what books/films are you doing?
Original post by Jeparlepas
I'm also doing french a level right now and i got A* in the mock and basically what i do is
for paper 1 (reading/listening): bang out grammar and vocab, practice summaries and translation specifically and try to listen to french as often as you can and make sure it's a little bit faster and more complicated than is comfortable and treat it like a dictation - jot down what you think you hear then check with subtitles.
for speaking:
IRP - make up questions you think you might be asked and make fancy paragraphs to answer them and then just memorise them. Then practice dodging questions you don't know and somehow turning them into the answers you've prepared. However, leave some small things unprepared where you know the facts but you don't have the grammar ready so you have at least some spontaneous stuff because you don't want to sound like you're just verbal vomiting the entire time.
Speaking card: practise paraphrasing stuff for the first question and just gargle a bunch of facts and examples by using mindmaps/ flashcard/ blurting etc. Also try to use good opinion phrases and make sure to use some subjunctive and si stuff.
For writing: what books/films are you doing?

omg this is so hopeful thank you as I’ve been crying over french recently😭 I study Untouchables and Antigone
No worries I actually hate french a level so much it's the bane of my existence I should have just taken a science :bawling:.
I study No et Moi (which sucks) and Au revoir les enfants ( which is so sexist i can't even) so I can't give you book specific advice.
I'm not really an essay person so i rely on paper 1 to pull my marks up but I did surprisingly well this time although I don't expect the streak to continue.
What I did to prep was I read the english version on the book to quickly remind myself of the plot and then skimmed the French book for any important quotes (this is a lie i just read a summary sheet but this is what i should have done) and I rewatched the film the week of the mocks to remember what happened because I forgot everything. Then I memorised some essay phrases lmk if you want any of these. For the film our teacher gave us theme and character notes so i looked over those but since we have more time i suggest learning these and blurting them. If you don't have notes you'll have to make them yourself sorry.
Then i suggest just practising essays but specifically practise planning essays in 5 minutes - i found that quite helpful.

Now I need someone to make sure i do this too instead of bingeing netflix.
No worries I actually hate french a level so much it's the bane of my existence I should have just taken a science :bawling:.
I study No et Moi (which sucks) and Au revoir les enfants ( which is so sexist i can't even) so I can't give you book specific advice.
I'm not really an essay person so i rely on paper 1 to pull my marks up but I did surprisingly well this time although I don't expect the streak to continue.
What I did to prep was I read the english version on the book to quickly remind myself of the plot and then skimmed the French book for any important quotes (this is a lie i just read a summary sheet but this is what i should have done) and I rewatched the film the week of the mocks to remember what happened because I forgot everything. Then I memorised some essay phrases lmk if you want any of these. For the film our teacher gave us theme and character notes so i looked over those but since we have more time i suggest learning these and blurting them. If you don't have notes you'll have to make them yourself sorry.
Then i suggest just practising essays but specifically practise planning essays in 5 minutes - i found that quite helpful.

bro you’re so real for that😭😂
No problem and my texts are quite straightforward which is alright (but Antigone in Antigone is just so annoying and untouchables low-key is okay with a lot of gender stereotypes + sexual harassment). I think on TSR I swear I’ve seen discussion threads on those texts with loads of good ideas so that may help you out??? :smile:
Ohh okay that is such good advice thank you!!! Good luck with your exams and I believe you can maintain that streak in paper 1!!!!!! :smile: Do you do AQA (I do eduqas)?
Yes I do AQA
They really need to have better set texts and films
My book is depressing as hell at one point the main character (13 btw) says "quelquefois j'imagine que se passerait si papa nous a conduit contre un mur. On serait tous ensemble." Very dark stuff.
And the film is so sexist: the main character's brother slut shames his own mother multiple times.
A lot of people seem to do my book but not a lot do my film but it's fine because I have notes on it.
At least you have les intouchables that's quite famous. Never heard of antigones tho.
Yes I do AQA
They really need to have better set texts and films
My book is depressing as hell at one point the main character (13 btw) says "quelquefois j'imagine que se passerait si papa nous a conduit contre un mur. On serait tous ensemble." Very dark stuff.
And the film is so sexist: the main character's brother slut shames his own mother multiple times.
A lot of people seem to do my book but not a lot do my film but it's fine because I have notes on it.
At least you have les intouchables that's quite famous. Never heard of antigones tho.

Frrr. Wow those are both so bad. Untouchables is entertaining,
emotive and comedic so it’s nice but Antigone is really depressing and the Spanish a level students get to study basically a really dramatic and entertaining play??? :frown:
Yh Antigone is basically a french play adapted from the Ancient Greek story but basically as a coded allegory for France under German occupation in www2
Original post by sciencegcsesss
How would you recommend ppl go for A*s in A Levels French, English Literature and History? I got AAA* in the match mocks but I really want 3 A*s

Heya!
Make sure to do past papers and go through the mark scheme to understand how you can get better marks :h: If it helps, Study Mind has free past papers you can use!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Fr though. My friend is doing a level spanish (and ironically she's parisian) and her text and film look so much funnier and chill. And her topics are so much better like celebrities and stuff while i'm out here learning about youth political involvement and crime and prisons
Fr though. My friend is doing a level spanish (and ironically she's parisian) and her text and film look so much funnier and chill. And her topics are so much better like celebrities and stuff while i'm out here learning about youth political involvement and crime and prisons

lol the irony.
Whaaaat we’ve fr been scammed😔 at least France has really nice ✨gastronomy✨ et elle est la maison des ✨bounlangeries✨ 🥐🍰🧀
familiarise yourself with past papers/ specification/ how they ask the questions, good luck!!!
Original post by amiemitchell
familiarise yourself with past papers/ specification/ how they ask the questions, good luck!!!

Thank you😊

I do the same book and film as you and I love it!!! do you hvae any resources for translation practise?
Original post by s.b.123
I do the same book and film as you and I love it!!! do you hvae any resources for translation practise?

That's so cool! Teach my how to enjoy No et Moi though. Even thinking about it makes me depressed which is an issue as I need to start revising it asap.
Translations a bit tricky since it's hard to find resources that are exactly at the level of a level outside of papers which there aren't even that many of.

I had the idea that for french to english translation I could translate the reading texts from any previous papers we've done since they're usually on topic and the correct level of difficulty for us. Aside from that you could go on news websites and find topic related articles (like search up cinéma or immigration or something) and translate a few paragraphs from that. The risk with that though is that the vocabulary is likely too advanced.

For french to english I have no clue maybe just find english articles and translate them into french and use deepl to check?
There are also some websites that have multi language functions. For example: the ILO website, the UN website, the Red cross website, the NATO website etc. These sorts of websites have english and french settings so you can look at the same article in both languages. You can use that to practice translation for immigration/marginalisés/diversity etc. as these websites have articles on those topics. Again though, it's very likely we won't have enough vocabulary for doing this completely :frown:
That's so cool! Teach my how to enjoy No et Moi though. Even thinking about it makes me depressed which is an issue as I need to start revising it asap.
Translations a bit tricky since it's hard to find resources that are exactly at the level of a level outside of papers which there aren't even that many of.

I had the idea that for french to english translation I could translate the reading texts from any previous papers we've done since they're usually on topic and the correct level of difficulty for us. Aside from that you could go on news websites and find topic related articles (like search up cinéma or immigration or something) and translate a few paragraphs from that. The risk with that though is that the vocabulary is likely too advanced.

For french to english I have no clue maybe just find english articles and translate them into french and use deepl to check?
There are also some websites that have multi language functions. For example: the ILO website, the UN website, the Red cross website, the NATO website etc. These sorts of websites have english and french settings so you can look at the same article in both languages. You can use that to practice translation for immigration/marginalisés/diversity etc. as these websites have articles on those topics. Again though, it's very likely we won't have enough vocabulary for doing this completely :frown:

Exactly, it's so hard to find resources for English-French! Thanks anyway.
No et Moi is an incredible book not just because of the amazing way it's written but also the story is so cute and emotional. I would definitely recommend actually analysing what things mean (not just as a translation, but how that adds to the character) and debate the significance for certain things as you read it with a friend. That is what I love about it so much (knowing that DDV has placed everything in there for a reason)!

Quick Reply

Latest