The Student Room Group

Would I be competitive for Imperial

Hi, I was wondering whether it's worth applying to Imperial(And UCL for that matter) or if I'd just be wasting a choice. I want to apply for Maths, from what I see the offer rate is ~25%.

In terms of GCSEs, it's pretty mid(1 8, 2 7, 4 6, 4 5).

I'd be taking a gap year, and doing FM A-Level + English Lang AS(English Language requirements). I hope to achieve ~A*A*A this year in these exams.

My question: Would this be competitive? I feel like they're incredibly picky so I don't know whether it'd be worth it, especially if I wasn't doing FM and Maths in the same year. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Wow really? I thought Imperial was like best of the best lol.

Thanks - I'll have a look at all 3. I was already thinking about Manchester and I visited Warwick last year too - lovely campus.
Original post by AnotherStudent!

Thanks - I'll have a look at all 3. I was already thinking about Manchester and I visited Warwick last year too - lovely campus.

Imperial is very good, don't listen to that comment it's completely wrong. In terms of how good unis are considered for maths it goes Cambridge, then Oxford, then Imperial and Warwick. Manchester and Bath are both very good but definitely a step down from Warwick and Imperial. Also I'm at Warwick Maths so AMA if you have any questions.
Reply 4
Original post by AnotherStudent!

Yes I don't recommend for Maths. If applied Maths is what you are going for, I'd say Ok sure go for Imperial but that raises the question why don't you just do some form of engineering?
Original post by mxtt_helm
Imperial is very good, don't listen to that comment it's completely wrong. In terms of how good unis are considered for maths it goes Cambridge, then Oxford, then Imperial and Warwick. Manchester and Bath are both very good but definitely a step down from Warwick and Imperial. Also I'm at Warwick Maths so AMA if you have any questions.
Kinda disagree….top 3 are so different in terms of offering. Cambridge is very much pure math, Oxford - is also pure but with an option of statistics, and imperial math has the most flexibility where you do pure /core math for 1.5 years and then the world is your oyster : BS vs MS, year aboard, pure math, applied math, statistics and finance, etc. Cambridge and Oxford are very much academia and you’ll need masters to make it relevant for the real world. So don’t hang up on rankings, and decide based on what you would like to do and what kind of employment access you have on campus. But if academia is your choice….there are plenty of masters programs and beyond in math beyond Oxbridge.
Original post by cricket2
Kinda disagree….top 3 are so different in terms of offering. Cambridge is very much pure math, Oxford - is also pure but with an option of statistics, and imperial math has the most flexibility where you do pure /core math for 1.5 years and then the world is your oyster : BS vs MS, year aboard, pure math, applied math, statistics and finance, etc. Cambridge and Oxford are very much academia and you’ll need masters to make it relevant for the real world. So don’t hang up on rankings, and decide based on what you would like to do and what kind of employment access you have on campus. But if academia is your choice….there are plenty of masters programs and beyond in math beyond Oxbridge.

Cambridge is famously known for its offerings in applied maths and theoretical physics. Oxford has very similar options to Cambridge (a few more pure maths, a few less applied).

Pure maths at degree level and beyond has a very different meaning to at A-level. What you call pure maths at A-level is referred to as mathematical methods at degree level.

Also this thread is 11 months old, please don't bump old threads!
Original post by cricket2
From where have you got the conclusion that Cambridge is "very pure math"? Its famous for its Theoretical Physics options. Sure its also top for Pure Maths but if anything the most biased top uni towards pure maths is probably Warwick. Oxbridge have a higher percentage in academia but its vompletely false you need a masters to apply it to the real world, they have world leading applied maths courses too. If you look at quant firm recruiting numbers Oxbridge is still the most represented (with Imperial third). Dont get me wrong Imperial is brilliant but this advice is bad.
Reply 8
Original post by mxtt_helm
From where have you got the conclusion that Cambridge is "very pure math"? Its famous for its Theoretical Physics options. Sure its also top for Pure Maths but if anything the most biased top uni towards pure maths is probably Warwick. Oxbridge have a higher percentage in academia but its vompletely false you need a masters to apply it to the real world, they have world leading applied maths courses too. If you look at quant firm recruiting numbers Oxbridge is still the most represented (with Imperial third). Dont get me wrong Imperial is brilliant but this advice is bad.
Yeah, Imperial is deffo more for applied maths and disciplines which require applied Maths, right? Like Computing, all of the engineering forms etc.
Original post by artful_lounger
Cambridge is famously known for its offerings in applied maths and theoretical physics. Oxford has very similar options to Cambridge (a few more pure maths, a few less applied).
Pure maths at degree level and beyond has a very different meaning to at A-level. What you call pure maths at A-level is referred to as mathematical methods at degree level.
Also this thread is 11 months old, please don't bump old threads!
Sure
‘you do you’
PS re how old the thread was…didn’t pay attention as I was just pointing out that there are many options and no one option is the best.

Latest