The Student Room Group

Why does my hair fall out so much?

I have always had really thick, and it has always fallen out quite a bit. I had the ends dyed a while ago when it was long but have now cut it to a bob. It falls out constantly, I always just pulling trailing hair from the ends. I don't hav any visible patches of hair loss but it falls out much more just in general when brushing and washing. It is really starting to get on my nerves. Does anyone know why this is? Is it the bleach? There is barely any left. Also does anyone know how to stop it falling out?

Thanks a lot
Original post by mollymoo!
I have always had really thick, and it has always fallen out quite a bit. I had the ends dyed a while ago when it was long but have now cut it to a bob. It falls out constantly, I always just pulling trailing hair from the ends. I don't hav any visible patches of hair loss but it falls out much more just in general when brushing and washing. It is really starting to get on my nerves. Does anyone know why this is? Is it the bleach? There is barely any left. Also does anyone know how to stop it falling out?

Thanks a lot

It could be the hair product that you’re using? If it keeps happening you should speak to your gp
it could be stress, diet or the hair products
Original post by Kutie Karen
it could be stress, diet or the hair products

Or a hormone disorder, I have PCOS and am very self conscious about the fact my hair has thinned a lot.

OP if you are looking after your hair (i.e not using harsh products and hair drying it all the time) it could be worth seeing a GP.
Original post by CoolCavy
Or a hormone disorder, I have PCOS and am very self conscious about the fact my hair has thinned a lot.

OP if you are looking after your hair (i.e not using harsh products and hair drying it all the time) it could be worth seeing a GP.

yes that is right and can be another reason.
There are plenty of possible reasons.
From haircare related chemical damage to diet, excessive hair related heat exposure to health conditions.

Might be damaged hair as a result of bleaching or use of some very powerful haircare chemicals, such as developer at 30 and higher volume.
Could also be severely dehydrated hair.
This can occur as a result of overdrying, regularly washing hair in very hot water, damage from high temperature styling tools or failure to operate a haircare regime with effective deep care conditioning treatements/oils/hair masks/serums.

There may be some dietary deficiencies involved; particularly as regards a riboflavin, biotin, folate, and vitamin B12 deficiency.
Other possibilities could include: an endocrine disorder, hormonal imbalances connected with excessive levels of testesterone or androgens in the blood, side effects of prescribed meds or medium to long term contraceptives and stress.
If you have a history of pcos or thyroid problems in your family, make a GP appointment and get a blood test done as soon as possible.

Have you considered giving your hair a rinse in rice water a couple of times a month?
Maybe trying to incorporate coconut oil into your haircare regime?
Increasing your consumption of amino acids, seafood, seeds, raw olive oil and walnuts?

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 21, but I got retested and it came back as negative. Do you think this means I have it or not?
Original post by stickylikehoney
I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 21, but I got retested and it came back as negative. Do you think this means I have it or not?

There's no single test for PCOS so I don't know what you mean. You have to meet 2 out of 3 criteria.
Ask your GP about it, nobody can diagnose you online.
There's no single test for PCOS so I don't know what you mean. You have to meet 2 out of 3 criteria.
Ask your GP about it, nobody can diagnose you online.

What are the three criteria?
Also: I struggle with my weight and have to get a face wax every three weeks. If I don't have PCOS, do you know why i might have these symptoms?

Quick Reply

Latest