The Student Room Group

Year 11 admission

I'm new in Colchester UK. I arrived with my family about three weeks ago and I find it difficult to enrol my 15 years old daughter into year 11 at the moment. Though she will be 16 in a few months.

Is there any secondary school in Colchester with mid year admission for Year 11? And if not what should I do?
You won’t be able to enrol her in year 11 now, gcse exams start next month. Year 11s leave school generally in May to go on study leave. You will need to either enquire about enrolling for September in year 10 maybe 11 for her to do GCSEs or enrol in college coming September if she has no GCSEs
How to find a school and how to apply is explained here
https://www.essex.gov.uk/find-a-school

As @ALEreapp has said, schools are now on Easter break and when they return in 2 weeks time it will be just a few short weeks before Year 11 take their GCSE exams. Some schools might have capacity to take her into year 10 now in preparations for studying the year 11 syllabus next year and taking GCSE exams in 2024. If you have moved from overseas she may already have the knowledge and ability to enter year 12 in September 2023. You might be able to find a place for September start to A levels. If she has no formal qualifications then they will want to assess her ability before allowing her to join A level classes and would most likely ask her to at least take GCSE English language and maths sometime in year 12.

Quick Reply

Latest