The Student Room Group

Expired Passport

My passport expired recently and I've went to check how long it would take for a renewed passport to arrive and it says about 10 weeks, which is way after the due date for the student finance applications. I'm just worried that I won't be able to do it on time - someone please help :,)
Original post by basementjon
My passport expired recently and I've went to check how long it would take for a renewed passport to arrive and it says about 10 weeks, which is way after the due date for the student finance applications. I'm just worried that I won't be able to do it on time - someone please help :,)

Hi, Sol from the University of Suffolk here :smile:

The best thing you can do is contact Student Finance directly and let them know about the situation. Tell them that you have applied for a new passport but that it may not arrive in time for the application. They will probably ask for proof that you have applied for a new passport so I'd recommend sorting that out as soon as possible. If you got a confirmation email or a confirmation letter saying they've received your passport application that would do the trick!

The sooner you contact them, the sooner they can let you know what you need to do. Student Finance are usually understanding when it comes to things like this.

Alternatively do you have any other forms of ID they could use in the meantime? A Birth certificate, bank statement, bus card etc. You may not need your passport if you prove your identity another way.

I hope this helps!

Kind regards
Solomon (Recent graduate from the University of Suffolk)

The following is from the gov.uk website:

If you do not have a UK passport (or it has expired), you can either:

upload a copy of your birth or adoption certificate to your student finance account

send a copy of your birth or adoption certificate to Student Finance England by post

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance/proof-of-identity
Original post by University of Suffolk graduate
Hi, Sol from the University of Suffolk here :smile:

The best thing you can do is contact Student Finance directly and let them know about the situation. Tell them that you have applied for a new passport but that it may not arrive in time for the application. They will probably ask for proof that you have applied for a new passport so I'd recommend sorting that out as soon as possible. If you got a confirmation email or a confirmation letter saying they've received your passport application that would do the trick!

The sooner you contact them, the sooner they can let you know what you need to do. Student Finance are usually understanding when it comes to things like this.

Alternatively do you have any other forms of ID they could use in the meantime? A Birth certificate, bank statement, bus card etc. You may not need your passport if you prove your identity another way.

I hope this helps!

Kind regards
Solomon (Recent graduate from the University of Suffolk)

Thank you so much for the reply! I've contacted them couple hours ago, they gave me a list of what I could send to them and they mentioned that ultimately renewing your passport would be the quickest option.

Just a few minutes ago I just applied for a new passport, so hopefully it'll arrive before the deadline even with these strikes going on.

Now I'm just wondering because I've got the confirmation for the application, will I need to call them again confirming that I've received the email or should I wait for it to arrive?

Thanks, Jon :smile:
Thank you so much for the reply! I've contacted them couple hours ago, they gave me a list of what I could send to them and they mentioned that ultimately renewing your passport would be the quickest option.

Just a few minutes ago I just applied for a new passport, so hopefully it'll arrive before the deadline even with these strikes going on.

Now I'm just wondering because I've got the confirmation for the application, will I need to call them again confirming that I've received the email or should I wait for it to arrive?

Thanks, Jon :smile:

Hi Jon

I'd say wait a few weeks now if you've spoken to student finance already. If it gets to say, a week before the deadline then I'd say get back in touch with them to let them know that it still hasn't arrived then they'll be able to advise from then.

No worries Jon have a good day!

- Sol
Reply 5
Hello everyone

my passport is going to expire before the end of my course date at the university. i have requested for another one but my appointment date for renewal is a day to the end of my course date and it will still take like another one month before it arrive at my doorstep.. my question is will i still be able to graduate.. I'm so worried right now
Reply 6
Hello everyone

my passport is going to expire before the end of my course date at the university. i have requested for another one but my appointment date for renewal is a day to the end of my course date and it will still take like another one month before it arrive at my doorstep.. my question is will i still be able to graduate.. I'm so worried right now
Original post by harby
Hello everyone

Why do you think you need a passport to graduate? Is it a requirement of your uni?
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Reply 8
Original post by normaw
Why do you think you need a passport to graduate? Is it a requirement of your uni?

Thank you for your swift response
I’m not sure a valid passport is part of the requirement but since I don’t have idea how this whole thing works in this county that’s why I’m asking.
Please note I’m an international student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending