The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA 4 Marker- Ethological Explanation of Aggression

Hi guys,
Came across this 4 marker and would be greatful if someone could give it a mark out of 4 and give feedback.

Lars has two pet dogs called Elvis and Bungee. They have lived together for a while now and get on well, but in the early days they used to fight a lot. Elvis always seemed to be the most aggressive. He would bare his teeth and growl at Bungee, who would have heartedly respond by rolling over and showing his belly. This seemed to be an automatic response he did everytime he saw Elvis's teeth. Funnily enough they never seemed to fight badly enough to hurt each other.

Using your knowledge of the ethological approach explain Bungee and Elvis's behaviour (4 marks)

My Answer:
The ethological approach proposes that aggression is an innate/instinctual mechanism that is adaptive and helps us survive. The two dogs are engaging in ritualistic aggression. This behaviour helps to prevent costly and dangerous physical aggression. Elvis 'bares his teeth and growls at Bungee' in order to deter Bungee from engaging in physical altercation and assert dominance. Bungee displays an act of appeasement as he 'rolls over and shows his belly', this is to show vulnerability and a sign of defeat.
I would give 2/4.

I think you should mention fixed action patterns and innate releasing mechanisms in your response.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 2
I think that's good but I'd just explain your points a bit more. Say WHY this behaviour prevents costly and dangerous physical aggression, e.g. "it prevents members of the same species being killed or injured, therefore it is advantageous because it doesn't reduce the number of animals in the population and threaten the species' existence. You could also talk about WHY asserting dominance is advantageous, e.g. to protect their own territory and resources to aid their survival & reproduction to pass on their genes to their offspring
Reply 3
Original post by emma543
I would give 2/4.

I think you should mention fixed action patterns and innate releasing mechanisms in your response.

Hope that helps :smile:

Would I still have to relate the FAP and IRMs to the stem?
Reply 4
Original post by EnikoSK
I think that's good but I'd just explain your points a bit more. Say WHY this behaviour prevents costly and dangerous physical aggression, e.g. "it prevents members of the same species being killed or injured, therefore it is advantageous because it doesn't reduce the number of animals in the population and threaten the species' existence. You could also talk about WHY asserting dominance is advantageous, e.g. to protect their own territory and resources to aid their survival & reproduction to pass on their genes to their offspring

Ohh I see thank you!
Original post by sogieva
Would I still have to relate the FAP and IRMs to the stem?

Yep so "This seemed to be an automatic response he did everytime he saw Elvis's teeth". Elvis' teeth would be the external stimulus which triggers the FAP and IRM.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending