The Student Room Group

what book to use for gcse python

hi everyone,

I'm trying to learn gcse python. Anyone recommend a book for this? I looked at the cgp python book and it looks too confusing with all the graphics. I'm after something clear and concise.
Reply 1
Unsure what exam board you're doing for the GCSE, so that might change my mind, but personally I would recommend just getting any good python book, not tailored for GCSEs (if you dislike CGP at least). Though expensive, Python for Dummies (ignore the insulting name haha), or Python Crash Course are great books, but rather expensive.

Really, if you're looking to learn Python for GCSEs, you need a good grip of the programming language overall, which these books give you - if you settle for a general book, I would recommend checking out your GCSEs specification (on the exam boards website), and looking in the book for what you need to know.

I know you asked for a book, but as an aside the Python Documents are useful for a quick browse, though they can be confusing sometimes. Also, I would highly recommend Codecademy's online courses for Python - they're extremely comprehensive and good, especially with the IDE in the site. Again, not for GCSEs but they provide a really good basis for them, and at GCSEs you don't need to know any very hard concepts, so all of these will teach you everything you need to know :smile:.

I hope that helps! Would really recommend checking out your spec for what you need to know, and please feel free to private message me/reply with any other questions (amateur python coder myself) :smile:. Good luck!
When I was learning Python, I really liked "Programming for Beginners", which was my go to for probably a good few years. Not sure if it'd hit the boxes you need (I don't technically need Python for my GCSE), but it worked for me for the concepts. I also recommend W3Schools' website, which is my current go to for pretty much everything (I may have been programming for years but I only learn commands as I need them lmao).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending