The Student Room Group

Alevel choices

Hi I will start doing sixth form next academic year, and I am thinking about doing some physics at university, but still unsure about doing whether engineering or physics (and that will be Oxford) or natural science. I have told the school that I chose to do physics math further maths and economics at alevel. However I am reconsidering these days that it may be better for me to do chemistry instead of economics as it will help me with my application and study at university more. I personally don’t like chemistry as much as economics but think it is a good subject and that I will enjoy doing it eventually. Should I drop economics and do chemistry instead?
Can anyone give me some suggestions please
My advice would be to do what you enjoy I had a look at the energy requirements and the only subjects needed are physics, maths and sometimes further maths for the courses you want to do. Chemistry may be helpful but will be very difficult if you don't enjoy it.
Reply 3
Chemistry is a nightmare A Level unless you actually like it.
I’ve read that lots of the entrants took chemistry. Will they expect you to have chemistry at a level? I mean, will it be seen as an advantage?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I will start doing sixth form next academic year, and I am thinking about doing some physics at university, but still unsure about doing whether engineering or physics (and that will be Oxford) or natural science. I have told the school that I chose to do physics math further maths and economics at alevel. However I am reconsidering these days that it may be better for me to do chemistry instead of economics as it will help me with my application and study at university more. I personally don’t like chemistry as much as economics but think it is a good subject and that I will enjoy doing it eventually. Should I drop economics and do chemistry instead?

Hi

I’m Oliver and am currently a third year in natural sciences at Lancaster and would absolutely recommend it as a great degree option as it gives you the flexibility to study multiple science pathways across different departments.
I can only speak for Lancaster, but I know here that chemistry is only required for the chemistry, biochemistry and chemical engineering pathways so unless you were considering a chemical engineering pathway you wouldn't need chemistry for university.

In terms of A-level choices, I would always say to go with the subject you think you will enjoy more as that way you'll get the most out of your time studying it. If there's anything I've learned from natural sciences it's that there is so many connections between all the science and maths subjects so whatever you study will be a huge help in all your other subjects.

Hope that is helpful and best of luck with your decision 😊 Feel free to ask me any other questions if you have any

Oliver (Student Ambassador)
I see. Thank you sooo much, really. Then I would stay with economics first to see if I enjoy it 😊
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous

if You are going to go into engineering . I would say chemistry and biology isn’t that relevant .

I am studying chemical engineering at university. However I’ve noticed it isn’t that chemistry or biology related . It’s mainly high physics and mathematics .

yes you need basic and intermediate chemistry knowledge, however I’ve noticed it’s mostly GCSEs and as level chemisty .

focus on advancing Maths , physics. And try to link a financial subject involved. Such as finance or business. As you said .
Finance will help you in daily life, and teach you investment ect.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending