The Student Room Group

hours of revision?

How many hours would you recommend revising in a day over the Easter hols? I'm currently doing 4 - 5 hours but I'm not sure if that's enough for straight A*s? Any and all advice appreciated! :smile:
Make sure you're covering all your subjects and not putting off the ones you struggle with, if you're doing effective revision then you should be ok! Don't increase the hours you are working if it means your mental health + happiness suffers otherwise the time you do spend won't be as effective. Good luck, and don't compare yourself to others, do your best :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by libertyrosepm
Make sure you're covering all your subjects and not putting off the ones you struggle with, if you're doing effective revision then you should be ok! Don't increase the hours you are working if it means your mental health + happiness suffers otherwise the time you do spend won't be as effective. Good luck, and don't compare yourself to others, do your best :smile:

Thank you <3 I'll try my best haha
Reply 3
Personally I wouldn’t say 4 hours is enough for the grades you want. You should know when you get your results that you worked as hard as you possibly could- I’m not sure you’ll be able to say that with your current hours.

I’d be doing at least 7-8 hours a day over Easter.
Reply 4
Original post by Flk10
Personally I wouldn’t say 4 hours is enough for the grades you want. You should know when you get your results that you worked as hard as you possibly could- I’m not sure you’ll be able to say that with your current hours.

I’d be doing at least 7-8 hours a day over Easter.

Thanks for the advice! I guess I should start getting more serious haha
Reply 5
There's no set amount of hours you need to revise. Some people will need 7 hours of revision a day to get A*s, some will need far less than that. I don't think I ever worked 7 hours in a day at any point in school.

How do you know whether it's enough? Do a past paper, mark it and see what you get.
Reply 6
Original post by Sinnoh
There's no set amount of hours you need to revise. Some people will need 7 hours of revision a day to get A*s, some will need far less than that. I don't think I ever worked 7 hours in a day at any point in school.

How do you know whether it's enough? Do a past paper, mark it and see what you get.

Thanks for the reply!! :biggrin: I guess I'll just try my best haha
Original post by luce_.
How many hours would you recommend revising in a day over the Easter hols? I'm currently doing 4 - 5 hours but I'm not sure if that's enough for straight A*s? Any and all advice appreciated! :smile:

Heya!
It's really up to you, if you believe that you'll be able to cover the material then go for it. It's really about the quality of the revision and making sure its effective! How do you currently revise?

Good luck!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 8
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
It's really up to you, if you believe that you'll be able to cover the material then go for it. It's really about the quality of the revision and making sure its effective! How do you currently revise?

Good luck!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Hi, thanks for the reply!! It depends on the subject, but I'm currently relying on flashcards and past paper questions mostly.
Some people do no revision over Easter, revise a week before GCSEs and get all A*s. Some people revise 10 hours+ (someone seriously did this in my class) during the Easter holidays and aren't able to get straight A*s. It depends on how resourceful your revision sessions are, and how well you actually understand content. If 5 hours is giving you enough progress, you should know it.
Reply 10
Original post by toxicgamage56
Some people do no revision over Easter, revise a week before GCSEs and get all A*s. Some people revise 10 hours+ (someone seriously did this in my class) during the Easter holidays and aren't able to get straight A*s. It depends on how resourceful your revision sessions are, and how well you actually understand content. If 5 hours is giving you enough progress, you should know it.

That's reassuring, thank you :]
What did the person who revised a week before GCSE and got A*s actually revise? That's sounds crazy!!!
Original post by toxicgamage56
Reply 12
4-5 hours is definitely enough, remember that this is still a break and you gotta prioritise mental health and your happiness :smile:
im doing about 3-4 hours a day but i just dont have the energy to do more
do 20-30 mins a subject with 5 min breaks inbetween i recommend doing 2-4 subjects a day

Quick Reply

Latest