The Student Room Group

NHS HCPC registration

I'm doing an IBMS accredited biomedical science course but I was unable to get an NHS placement as the hospital that my uni is linked with only had 6 places available. My goal has always been to work in the NHS. I was talking to my personal tutor about the potential alternate routes that I could go down to achieve HCPC registration and she said that she helped someone with their application for a band 5 position as a trainee biomedical scientist and they didn't do an NHS placement.

I read the description for this job and it seems like the requirements would match what I would have (IBMS accredited degree, looking for HCPC registration) and most of them said they would support you with your portfolio. However, from reading previous threads on here it seems you need to work as an MLA (band 2) first and do your portfolio that way, unless they've changed it? Most of these threads were over 5 years old so they probably have but I'm not sure.

If someone more knowledgeable could help that would be amazing because I'm a bit confused at how this all works.
It’s more that to be eligible for a Trainee Band 5 position you need to have NHS experience, and most people get this from working as a band 2 MLA.
Original post by kaylalauren
I'm doing an IBMS accredited biomedical science course but I was unable to get an NHS placement as the hospital that my uni is linked with only had 6 places available. My goal has always been to work in the NHS. I was talking to my personal tutor about the potential alternate routes that I could go down to achieve HCPC registration and she said that she helped someone with their application for a band 5 position as a trainee biomedical scientist and they didn't do an NHS placement.

I read the description for this job and it seems like the requirements would match what I would have (IBMS accredited degree, looking for HCPC registration) and most of them said they would support you with your portfolio. However, from reading previous threads on here it seems you need to work as an MLA (band 2) first and do your portfolio that way, unless they've changed it? Most of these threads were over 5 years old so they probably have but I'm not sure.

If someone more knowledgeable could help that would be amazing because I'm a bit confused at how this all works.

To work as a Band 5 BMS to my knowledge you need:

a) to be registered with the HCPC - there is absolutely no way you can achieve this without completing the professional portfolio, which is normally done on placement but can be completed while working as a Band 2 MLA with the agreement of your line manager (and this is entirely on top of your actual job so you would need to find ways to do that beyond your usual working hours - coming in on days off or similar potentially).

b) to have prior NHS experience, although this can just be working one day in a Band 2 role in theory.

The bottleneck for you will be registering with the HCPC which you can't do without the professional portfolio which is harder to do (and takes longer) if you don't do it via placement.

It is possible the other student the lecturer referenced went through the STP to become a clinical scientist - this is a different role to biomedical scientist though. The STP just requires a suitable first degree (in a bioscience subject normally unless you are applying to join the medical physics or clinical engineering strands) from the academic perspective, although I gather is very competitive.
Original post by artful_lounger
To work as a Band 5 BMS to my knowledge you need:

a) to be registered with the HCPC - there is absolutely no way you can achieve this without completing the professional portfolio, which is normally done on placement but can be completed while working as a Band 2 MLA with the agreement of your line manager (and this is entirely on top of your actual job so you would need to find ways to do that beyond your usual working hours - coming in on days off or similar potentially).

b) to have prior NHS experience, although this can just be working one day in a Band 2 role in theory.

The bottleneck for you will be registering with the HCPC which you can't do without the professional portfolio which is harder to do (and takes longer) if you don't do it via placement.

It is possible the other student the lecturer referenced went through the STP to become a clinical scientist - this is a different role to biomedical scientist though. The STP just requires a suitable first degree (in a bioscience subject normally unless you are applying to join the medical physics or clinical engineering strands) from the academic perspective, although I gather is very competitive.

Thank you, this is really helpful.

No, she wasn’t talking about the STP. Someone else asked her about it and how they’d go about applying for it and she said she didn’t know what it was.
Thank you, this is really helpful.

No, she wasn’t talking about the STP. Someone else asked her about it and how they’d go about applying for it and she said she didn’t know what it was.

Strange. Not sure then, unless they've changed how it works in the last year or so?
You can work as a Trainee Band 5 BMS without HCPC registration, as that’s the whole point of it being a trainee position. That will be what your person tutor helped a student apply for, a trainee post.
Your tutor was (almost certainly) talking about a trainee band 5 position - which is not paid at a full band 5 rate.

To complete the portfolio you need to be working in a laboratory that has IBMS training accreditation (most NHS diagnostics labs do, but not all, so make sure you check). It is hard to get a trainee band 5 position without NHS experience as a laboratory assistant but it is doable. I'd apply for both and start applying now, don't wait until you've finished as suddenly everyone in your year will also be applying.
Original post by artful_lounger
Strange. Not sure then, unless they've changed how it works in the last year or so?

I was offered a trainee band 5 post aged 17 in 2006. It's not a new change. Departments can use the NHS annex U scheme to pay a proportion of the NHS band as a training wage which then increases to the full rate automatically on completion of a qualification. How much you get paid is a percentage based on how far you are away from completing the qualification (in my scenario I started on 60% and worked up to 80% across the 4 years it took me to get the degree).

I support people through band 5 (trainee) interviews and applications directly out of university. It's hard and experienced candidates will often score higher at interview but it is entirely possible.

Some departments also have non-HCPC registered band 5s and band 6s but that is incredibly rare and tends to be leftover from research and diagnostic departments merging.
Original post by HealthcareSci
Your tutor was (almost certainly) talking about a trainee band 5 position - which is not paid at a full band 5 rate.

To complete the portfolio you need to be working in a laboratory that has IBMS training accreditation (most NHS diagnostics labs do, but not all, so make sure you check). It is hard to get a trainee band 5 position without NHS experience as a laboratory assistant but it is doable. I'd apply for both and start applying now, don't wait until you've finished as suddenly everyone in your year will also be applying.

Thank you, so are trainee band 5 BMS and band 5 BMS 2 different things then? And yeah my tutor did say it was a trainee position the student was applying for.

Is it possible for me to try and work as an MLA part time whilst in final year? I saw some people say on here in previous threads and on Reddit that they worked as an MLA twice a week whilst finishing their degree, and the IBMS mention it on their website too so I’m assuming it’s recommended? I just wouldn’t be able to do the HCPC portfolio that way though?
Thank you, so are trainee band 5 BMS and band 5 BMS 2 different things then? And yeah my tutor did say it was a trainee position the student was applying for.

Is it possible for me to try and work as an MLA part time whilst in final year? I saw some people say on here in previous threads and on Reddit that they worked as an MLA twice a week whilst finishing their degree, and the IBMS mention it on their website too so I’m assuming it’s recommended? I just wouldn’t be able to do the HCPC portfolio that way though?

They are. HCPC registered biomedical scientist posts start at a band 5 and there is a difference between what you can do with and without registration.

You can definitely apply to work part time as an MLA. Some hospitals have a bank system where you have no set hours but pick up shifts when they aren't full. It's highly unlikely that they would support the HCPC portfolio as a part time undergraduate MLA though. (Doesn't mean you can't download the reference copy from the IBMS website and start bits of it - the department has to pay for the portfolio and the assessment so they often say that you need to work for 12 months before they will pay for it.)

But I would highly recommend applying to be a part time MLA. Pros: It pays (highly important), you get experience in the field you want to work in, and if you find you hate it at least you discover it before graduating.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending