Visit website

Can I become a diplomat with a philosophy and theology degree from Durham

post removed
I hope everything works out for you)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I'm struggling to imagine that your opportunities of entering the diplomatic world or law would be any different with a Phil/ theo degree or philosophy and politics.
Have a look at a few masters degrees in IR and see what they require for admission. Also have a look at some graduate jobs you might be interested in and see what they look for.
Hi there

I understand the urge to change courses but I would absolutely advise against doing so solely because of what other people think. It's your life, your degree and your interest- nobody else is going to come and help you in your studies and if Theo/Phil is what interests you the most, then go for it. You don't need any specific degree to go down either the law route or the diplomat route. Law firms recruit almost half the trainees from non-law backgrounds and you can get theoretical legal knowledge from the GDL and SQE anyway. The same goes for the diplomat route, many people do tend to study IR or politics because it gives you more of an understanding of foreign relations but honestly if that's a route you're truly passionate about, I don't see how studying another subject can possibly deter you from still exploring that field. Also you don't need any specific degree for a Masters in IR at Durham at least, other unis may have different requirements. A degree in the field of Social Sciences is preferable, however, in assessing the application, other facilitating factors such as relevant experience are taken into account in lieu of this requirement.

But in any case, if you decide to change courses, you can do so after starting your degree. You'd have to file a request with your current and prospective departments and they can advise you on the procedure. I'd suggest doing this during freshers' week or in the first week of Michaelmas term so it can be done before it's too late. It's not guaranteed that your request will be accepted but it's worth a try!

-Himieka
(edited 1 year ago)
Hiya

Politics is definitely a social science but philosophy is a humanities subject. I'm not sure what exactly the difference between CHSS and Liberal Arts is since both allow a combo of philosophy and politics, but I think the focus in CHSS will be on your social science modules (politics, in your case) while Liberal Arts will focus majorly on the philosophy modules.

In any case, I think if you go with Liberal Arts, you will require some work experience relevant to the foreign relations field to give you an edge in your Masters application (based on what the IR Masters course on the website states). Although it'd be good to have work experience even if you're studying a completely social science degree, I don't think it would be a very necessary requirement in this scenario. So to answer your question, a social science degree (CHSS) might only look better if you don't have work experience when applying with a Liberal Arts degree.

I hope that wasn't too complicated but if you need further explanation, please let me know!

Also here are a few blogs by current students that may offer some insight into the different courses:
Studying a combined degree (Politics, IR)
What it's like studying Politics, Philosophy and Economics (PPE)
What it's like studying International Relations
What it's like studying Liberal Arts
What it's like studying Theology & Religion

-Himieka
(edited 1 year ago)
The answer is yes.
Says who? I know diplomats with BA in Arts. If you want to change degrees cos you prefer IR or politics then sure. But if prefer what youre currently studying then..why change? I have a BA in international relations and i work in M&A in a bit bank. There is no written rule than you need a BA in polsci to be a diplomat.
Reply 8
At the end of the day you shouldn’t pursue a degree you may enjoy less simply because you think it might get you a job - you’ll change a lot in 3 years and 1st in a degree you enjoyed is more valuable than a 2:2 or 2:1 that left you miserable. Also getting a job in diplomacy would honestly be more about your results on the government’s assessments. You can be a diplomat with any degree although one thing I was told at a careers fair was getting another language under your belt can be a real boost. https://www.faststream.gov.uk/diplomatic-service/index.html

Quick Reply

Latest