The Student Room Group

can you do psychology at uni with social science and humanities access course?

I am currently doing the social science and humanities course and I applied for bsc psychology to study at uni.
(edited 1 year ago)
Some might, others might not. Will be entirely dependent on the uni and course. Generally speaking the more "scientific" courses (e.g. at Oxbridge, UCL, KCL, Bath, etc) often require some formal qualifications in lab sciences and/or maths. Other ones may be happy with a more general social science background. Usually the ones preferring a scientific background are the much more research focused courses/unis mainly doing work in experimental (rather than clinical or applied areas of) psychology.

Bear in mind though in any psychology degree you will do a minimum amount of scientific and mathematical (mostly statistical) work, due to BPS accreditation requirements. So you should be prepared for that even if they accept you without any background in those areas already. I gather the stats work in particular can be quite extensive in most courses (the more neurobiological content will always have a minimum but how far beyond that they go really depends on the uni as I understand).
Original post by artful_lounger
Some might, others might not. Will be entirely dependent on the uni and course. Generally speaking the more "scientific" courses (e.g. at Oxbridge, UCL, KCL, Bath, etc) often require some formal qualifications in lab sciences and/or maths. Other ones may be happy with a more general social science background. Usually the ones preferring a scientific background are the much more research focused courses/unis mainly doing work in experimental (rather than clinical or applied areas of) psychology.

Bear in mind though in any psychology degree you will do a minimum amount of scientific and mathematical (mostly statistical) work, due to BPS accreditation requirements. So you should be prepared for that even if they accept you without any background in those areas already. I gather the stats work in particular can be quite extensive in most courses (the more neurobiological content will always have a minimum but how far beyond that they go really depends on the uni as I understand).

I got my offers on ucas but with few grade requirements. Does this mean the universities i applied to accept social science and humanities access course?
Original post by cherryhitchkins
I got my offers on ucas but with few grade requirements. Does this mean the universities i applied to accept social science and humanities access course?

If they made you an offer and it's conditional on getting particular results in your access course, then that would imply they accept it :smile:

If the offer is clearly for a completely different type of qualification or it's unclear then it's worth getting in touch to clarify what you need to get to meet the offer. Note that universities can't change an offer once issued without your permission, so they can't take it away or anything now so there's no harm in asking!
Hey there,

As said above it depends on the university entry requirements so it's worth having a 'shop' around for a university that accepts it and one that works well for you also. Some of them can be a bit unclear but you can always email their admissions.

I completed my social sciences access course and I was given a conditional offer for Psychology BSc. I had to receive a certain amount of credits so that it was equivalent to their UCAS points entry amount. You can normally find a calculator online for this to convert Access to HE credits into UCAS points - they can be a bit confusing so ask your teachers for help interpreting them if you got stuck like I did! I made sure to put my all into every assignment to get the credits and it worked out, i'm currently two years into my degree :smile:

Feel free to ask me any further questions,

Lauren -Official Student Rep :biggrin:
If they made you an offer and it's conditional on getting particular results in your access course, then that would imply they accept it :smile:

If the offer is clearly for a completely different type of qualification or it's unclear then it's worth getting in touch to clarify what you need to get to meet the offer. Note that universities can't change an offer once issued without your permission, so they can't take it away or anything now so there's no harm in asking!

Yes on Ucas it says I need to get certain amount of distinctions and merits to get in
Yes on Ucas it says I need to get certain amount of distinctions and merits to get in

Well then as long as you meet those criteria in your offer, you will be accepted (if you make it your firm or insurance choice that is!) :smile:
Well then as long as you meet those criteria in your offer, you will be accepted (if you make it your firm or insurance choice that is!) :smile:

tysm
I was really worried :smile:

I am currently doing the social science and humanities course and I applied for bsc psychology to study at uni.

Yes for sure. I know some universities like Aberdeen do not even check if a student has A-levels for their psychology course.
Original post by Pepeh4nds
Yes for sure. I know some universities like Aberdeen do not even check if a student has A-levels for their psychology course.

Hi, this is the University of Aberdeen rep account. Not sure where it is that you've heard this, but we do have A-Level entry requirements listed on our course pages for our Psychology courses. Have linked them below so you can see.

Psychology MA: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degree-programmes/834/C802/psychology/
Psychology BSc: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degree-programmes/833/C800/psychology/

Hope this clears things up!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team

I think the best thing to do would be to get in contact with the university you are looking to study with so they can clarify their entry requirements. The requirements for Access courses will vary a lot from uni to uni so the only way to get an absolute answer would be to ask them directly. Know that can be a bit daunting but they'll honestly be happy to advise you!

Hope this helps and you can get an answer soon.

- Matthew, Enquiry Team
Original post by UoA Enquiry Team
Hi, this is the University of Aberdeen rep account. Not sure where it is that you've heard this, but we do have A-Level entry requirements listed on our course pages for our Psychology courses. Have linked them below so you can see.

Psychology MA: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degree-programmes/834/C802/psychology/
Psychology BSc: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degree-programmes/833/C800/psychology/

Hope this clears things up!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team

Hi Matthew,
Thanks for the links.
My information comes from first hand experience with a mature student who enrolled in that course. Essentially, I know a person who hasn't even got GCSE sciences and got into your psychology course on the basis of a HND (which was such an easy qualification) they completed years ago. They absolutely had no A-levels, science background, or even basic mathematical skills to undertake any degree involving some level of science.
Obviously this applicant was exempted from A-level requirements somehow.

Cheers

@cherryhitchkinsHi I've taught on Access for just over 10 years

Social Science types subjects tend to be more open minded about entry criteria compared to some subjects which have industry specific expectations such as Primary Teaching and Nursing and Midwifery.

It does depend on the entry requirements of that particular University, certainly what would help is if one of your modules is Psychology, I'm guessing the other two might be Sociology and History? Typically they will be after something like 109 UCAS tariff points for social sciences which allows a nice smattering of merits and distinctions, a strong personal statement will also help (there are some great guidance videos on YouTube).

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Original post by Pepeh4nds
Hi Matthew,
Thanks for the links.
My information comes from first hand experience with a mature student who enrolled in that course. Essentially, I know a person who hasn't even got GCSE sciences and got into your psychology course on the basis of a HND (which was such an easy qualification) they completed years ago. They absolutely had no A-levels, science background, or even basic mathematical skills to undertake any degree involving some level of science.
Obviously this applicant was exempted from A-level requirements somehow.

Cheers

Ah I see. I would say that that would not be the case of us not checking if they have A-Levels, but assessing them based on their HND instead. We're committed to widening access to higher education by allowing people to study with us through other qualifications from what they are able to achieve in secondary school, but understand the confusion. You can have a look at our admissions policy if you would like, but just wanted to be clear and follow up on something that looked incorrect to me: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/admissions-policy.php
It may also be because they were studying the Psychology MA which has more of a focus on the humanities side of Psychology that we weren't looking for much in the way of science qualifications from them. Hope this clarifies things!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending