The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Changing college- Cambridge postgraduate

Has anyone ever been able to change college on the grounds that they are not comfortable going to a womans-only college?
I've been accepted to do a PhD from October and just found out I will be at Murray Edwards. I f it were a masters I could probably just about grin and bear it for the year but for I just don't feel comfortable being in a female only envirnment for 4 years.
Original post by Anonymous
Has anyone ever been able to change college on the grounds that they are not comfortable going to a womans-only college?
I've been accepted to do a PhD from October and just found out I will be at Murray Edwards. I f it were a masters I could probably just about grin and bear it for the year but for I just don't feel comfortable being in a female only envirnment for 4 years.

Try it, see what they say.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Anonymous

Generally, no, not for that reason unless there were some extreme circumstances.

It's worth saying that especially at postgrad and more so at PhD, you can make as much or as little of your college community as you want, basically. You can have a college social circle if you want to, but if you want a mixed-gender environment then you can live outside college accommodation, build a social circle around your faculty, societies, hobbies etc. As they say, it's not a convent, and you're not banned from having contact with men, men visiting you in college and attending college events.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending