The Student Room Group

What should I take as a 4th A-level?

I don't want any of that "Only you can choose your A-level", as I just want to know what other people would do in my situation, but what A-level should I do as my 4th? I am also choosing Maths, Further Maths and Physics, and I intend on doing Physics at uni, and until PhD as I want to become a physicist.

I'm thinking of doing 1 of the following:
Chemistry
English Literature
Geography
French

I've got 9s in all my subjects, but I find Geography the easiest to revise for and I love it as it's also quite interesting. French is the lowest effort and I get 9s without trying, and my teacher really wants me to take it too. Chemistry is really interesting to me and I've done some of the A-level content out of interest and it's really cool and not to hard to comprehend, I also really like the expansion on Organic in A-level. English Lit is interesting to me as I like reading and doing in-depth analysis, and it would fulfil my recommended English work for when I apply to Caltech, though I suppose it's not mandatory. Still, I'd be fine doing it, but it's a bit more effort than the others and not as interesting as I'm more interested in STEM subjects. Even Geography has its scientific elements.

I'd just like to know what other people would do in my case, so I can see a bit more openly here. I'm in Year 10 by the way, which is why I'm asking this quite randomly in the year.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by physicschemgal
I don't want any of that "Only you can choose your A-level", as I just want to know what other people would do in my situation, but what A-level should I do as my 4th? I am also choosing Maths, Further Maths and Physics, and I intend on doing Physics at uni, and until PhD as I want to become a physicist.

Chemistry
English Literature
Geography
French

I've got 9s in all my subjects, but I find Geography the easiest to revise for and I love it as it's also quite interesting. French is the lowest effort and I get 9s without trying, and my teacher really wants me to take it too. Chemistry is really interesting to me and I've done some of the A-level content out of interest and it's really cool and not to hard to comprehend, I also really like the expansion on Organic in A-level. English Lit is interesting to me as I like reading and doing in-depth analysis, and it would fulfil my recommended English work for when I apply to Caltech, though I suppose it's not mandatory. Still, I'd be fine doing it, but it's a bit more effort than the others and not as interesting as I'm more interested in STEM subjects. Even Geography has its scientific elements.

I'd just like to know what other people would do in my case, so I can see a bit more openly here. I'm in Year 10 by the way, which is why I'm asking this quite randomly in the year.

Universities only require you to take 3 A-levels, and if you take 4 they expect you to do well in them. I do Geography and it is quite a change from GCSE (I did Edexcel A at GCSE and I do AQA at A-level), there is more writing and I generally find the content less interesting than at GCSE. The physical side of geography is quite scientific and the human side is much more subjective. Also some universities do class geography as a science.
litrelly just do the one you would be sure you get an A star or high grade in because your only required to do three, so if you fluent in french or like rlly good at it do that and also speaking from experience of english and chemistry, chemistry is alot different to gcse but doable and not too much content, and english requires alot of reading and independant studying in a short period of time i dunno about geography because i havent done it but chemsitry looks good with your subjects u want to do as it links nicely but only do it if your certain you can get it good grade coz i heard it gets alot tricky in yr 13 so make your life easy and do a subject that ur certain to get an A star or A
Yeah, I know UK schools only require 3 but US tops schools look for a high work load and I think I'd have close to no chance if I take less than 4, and I consider Maths+Further Maths more like 1 and 1/2 A-levels. I'm confident I'd be fine with the workload though. I also think if I'm taking Further Maths at my school, it can only be taken as a 4th A-level anyway, so I don't have much of a choice there. Thank you though! To make my life easier with workload, I'm thinking Geography or French then, as I find them both easy. With French, there would be an IRP to worry about, and Geography does have coursework.

I know Caltech do class Geography as a science so I guess it would be French I do, but English Lit does mean I'd be able to get to align with the entry recommendations as well, as they do recommend doing 3-4 years of English studying in the last 4 years of school.
If I were in your place I'd choose chemistry as it ties in more with your goal of studying physics whereas the others aren't related so much, but if you can get a higher grade in French or geography with less effort then it might be worth taking one of those in order to have a stronger academic profile.

That said I would suggest that your plan is quite long term and rigid for only part way through year ten. Your goals will change - maybe substantially or perhaps only a little - and you may find the workloads end up being tougher than you're currently supposing.

Chemistry
English Literature
Geography
French

Initially I'd say chemistry would fit in the most well with those three that you've already decided on - that's a classic combination. I'm doing maths, further maths chemistry and biology at A Level and I can honestly say that doing a level maths makes some of the chemistry topics so much easier. It's managable without but you'll already be a good few steps ahead so you can focus on the more 'learn it off by heart' content. French might come in handy if you want to work abroad or in getting jobs in the future that might value you being able to speak another language but I know there's quite a transition from GCSE to A Level in terms of what you learn (A Level is much more about the french culture, writing essays and learning facts!). However something you might want to consider is whether you want all of your a levels to be exam based. Geography and English Lit have some coursework elements to them (I believe? Correct me someone if I'm wrong - might be subject to the exam board you're doing) which are a pain for about half the year but it means that there's less hanging on the final exams if you have a really bad day. I'd say taking four subjects with zero coursework the only thing I slightly regret with my a level choices but on the other hand the overlap between all the sciences makes it a lot easier to learn, understand and make connections that will ultimately help you out in the end.

Maybe something you could do is ask your school/prospective college what exam boards they do for each subject and have a look at the specifications on the exam board's website? The content of each a level can vary from exam board to exam board so it might give you a chance to decide whether what you'll be learning would interest you. Or you could go on youtube and try to find some revision videos for each subject to get an experience of what you'll be learning in slightly more depth and see what you think! I know once you start there's a window where it's relatively easy to swap your subject if you decide you really aren't enjoying what you choose (I've even known someone learn the entire first year of further maths over the summer between yr12 and 13 but I really wouldn't recommend that!).

It's great that you're thinking about what you want to do so early on, but like somebody's already said don't set your heart on anything too early on - you've still got year 11 to do and that might make it very obvious what A Levels you should pick when it comes for GCSE revision. However by the fact that you're already getting all 9s makes me think that you'd do brilliantly in whatever you end up doing! I wish you the best of luck for the future! :smile:
(Sorry for the mini essay! Didn't realise how much I'd written lmao)

Chemistry
English Literature
Geography
French

Hi,

I did Chemistry and English Literature for A levels so i can only speak on those two subjects. Personally i think both are great choices for A levels and are highly respected at university. Chemistry was really really fun, especially for people who love STEM subjects and there are so many resources out there for you to use, however it can be really challenging and there is a lot of content to learn. If you do end up taking A level chemistry i suggest learning transition metals and buffer calculations ahead of time (probably during summer before year 13) because those two topics take time to understand. Career wise Chemistry can lead you to other professions in STEM.

English Literature is a great choice as well, however most people who take English want to go into Law or politics so maybe it wont be as useful for you. it also depends on your books. some books have loads of resources and other books don't, so make sure you have enough material to use before choosing English literature. Keep in mind that reading is also time consuming and you have 40 - 60 poems to learn. English also has coursework, where you compare two books of your choice and that was interesting but it does require a bit of time considering you're balancing 4 A levels but it's manageable. I finished my coursework in 5 weeks then added the finishing touches before the deadline. English Literature was easier tho in my opinion, and you have a better chance of getting a higher grade compared to chem, where the grade boundaries are shockingly high.

Both require tons of work but:
Pick Chemistry if you want to widen your STEM opportunities at university.
or Pick English which has lower grade boundaries and it shows you have skills outside of STEM subjects.

I would take French over Geography even thought i didn't take either of them. Only because you find it extremely easy and geography seems to have a lot of content which would take up time.

hopefully that kinda helps

Chemistry
English Literature
Geography
French

Chem or French or Eng lit. Chem for wider STEM, French/Eng lit to show skills outside of STEM

Chemistry
English Literature
Geography
French

Heya!
I would say go with chemistry as it feels well in your combination of sciences and you seem to enjoy it (it's my fav subject!) :h: Do you enjoy writing essays? If you feel like you need to do a subject outside of STEM and do more essays then english lit or geography would be good as well. I would recommend going with French only if you are going to continue learning and using the language in the future.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
I would say go with chemistry as it feels well in your combination of sciences and you seem to enjoy it (it's my fav subject!) :h: Do you enjoy writing essays? If you feel like you need to do a subject outside of STEM and do more essays then english lit or geography would be good as well. I would recommend going with French only if you are going to continue learning and using the language in the future.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Thank you! I've been thinking about it and I might just about enjoy Geography the most out of all of my subjects. My only concern is that it might not be very essay-based in comparison to a subject like English Lit. However, I asked Caltech Admissions about A-levels, and they said they so consider Geography a social science so it would fulfil that requirement, and I can always ask my school about taking Chemistry as a 5th A-level if I'm desperate to take it when the time comes round to choosing A-levels.
Thank you! I've been thinking about it and I might just about enjoy Geography the most out of all of my subjects. My only concern is that it might not be very essay-based in comparison to a subject like English Lit. However, I asked Caltech Admissions about A-levels, and they said they so consider Geography a social science so it would fulfil that requirement, and I can always ask my school about taking Chemistry as a 5th A-level if I'm desperate to take it when the time comes round to choosing A-levels.

Heya!
Geography sounds good! Please be careful about 5th subject though, I really wouldn't recommend it (having done that myself and really regretted it). It's a lot of work and a lot of stress which can impact all your subjects, so try sticking to 4 max if possible :h:

Good luck!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest