The Student Room Group

not a question but just to rant and ask for advice xx

hey i am in year 11 and i am feeling very,very stressed about gcses i keep on seeing others around me being able to revise everyday but i am not able to do that and it is really stressing me as gcses are coming soon. Everytime i try to revise i fail because i get overwhelmed and cry and i don't know why i just can't deal with stress like a normal person but it is affecting my daily life like i am unable to rest or relax and i go to bed late but wake up early because i am so stressed and anxious it is draining me. my stress is making me counter-productive and i am now behind in my revision and i am REALLY REALLY scared that i am going to fail all my exams and disappoint my family and everyone around me and i feel so alone and depressed all the time, which makes me contemplate life sometimes. any advice?
also
thought i might add that i do care about my education and i do want to do well but my stress and anxiety has led me to be unproductive and i am just gonna disappoint everyone including myself and my friends and my teachers like i feel like this may be the end for me like there's no hope for me
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by mgtyye
hey i am in year 11 and i am feeling very,very stressed about gcses i keep on seeing others around me being able to revise everyday but i am not able to do that and it is really stressing me as gcses are coming soon. Everytime i try to revise i fail because i get overwhelmed and cry and i don't know why i just can't deal with stress like a normal person but it is affecting my daily life like i am unable to rest or relax and i go to bed late but wake up early because i am so stressed and anxious it is draining me. my stress is making me counter-productive and i am now behind in my revision and i am REALLY REALLY scared that i am going to fail all my exams and disappoint my family and everyone around me and i feel so alone and depressed all the time, which makes me contemplate life sometimes. any advice?

Firstly, try not to focus on others and just focus on yourself. Take a deep breath. I highly suggest going for a walk or getting some exercise in, but do whatever will help you relax and de-stress. Then next time when you come to sit at your desk, just take things one at a time. Try to understand that whilst GCSEs are important, they aren't going to be the defining moment of your life or anything like that, regardless of whether they go badly or go very well, so all you can do right now is to revise the best you can with the time you have available. As far as practical advice goes with what to do going forwards:

First make a list of all of your GCSE subjects and group them into one's you are a bit more confident about and enjoy, and others that you don't like so much. For now just focus on the one's you enjoy to get an idea of the level you're working at, and to show yourself that you can achieve good scores. At this stage in the exam season, I think working on past papers would really be the best thing for you to do, so go online for the right exam board and find past papers for each of the GCSE subjects, and make some time to just do past papers (at first untimed) and then go through the mark scheme afterwards and see how you did. As you get more confident you can start doing timed practices.

Then once you've boosted your confidence a bit with those subjects, move on to the ones that you perhaps don't enjoy so much. If any of these are English/Maths, then I would prioritise those as they're a bit more important than the others, and also prioritise Science too if you can. Do the same thing, work through past papers, and make note of any topics that you really struggle with and take some time later to revise those, so that your revision becomes more focused. Eventually you'll fill in the gaps in your knowledge and also get better at exam practice.

I'd say if you can, wake up as early as possible and do those past papers in the first half of the day - I reckon you can get about 3 - 4 done, but if you only get 1 or 2 done that's still okay. Make sure you take 30-45 min breaks in between after marking them and also go outside at least once a day. Then in the latter half of the day you can go through any things you've identified that you need to revise, and then just rinse and repeat.
It sounds like you're going through a really difficult time right now. It's important to remember that you're not alone and that many students experience stress and anxiety around exam time. It's also important to know that it's okay to not be able to revise every day or to feel overwhelmed by the pressure to perform well.

Here are some tips that might help you manage your stress and anxiety:

Prioritize self-care: Take care of yourself physically and mentally. Get enough sleep, eat well, and make time for activities that you enjoy.

Break down your revision into manageable chunks: Set small and achievable goals for each day. This can help you to feel less overwhelmed and more in control of your revision.

Award yourself after task-completion-place a chocolate or any other item of your choice,if you complete your task within a given time.

Set time for stress- before starting your studies,decide firmly to handle the stress after you study time-say half an hour.during this,think all about your fears and problems,right them down in a book/diary.then promise yourself to reply your questions or problems with a solution the next day.after writing your problems, do something productive.either go for a walk, play a physical game(football), or simply talk to a friend.

Practice relaxation techniques: Deep breathing, meditation, and yoga can all be helpful in reducing stress and anxiety.

Talk to someone: It can be helpful to talk to someone about how you're feeling. This might be a friend, family member, or a professional such as a counsellor.

Don't be too hard on yourself: Remember that it's okay to make mistakes and that your worth is not determined by your exam results. Try to focus on the effort that you're putting in rather than the outcome.

Finally, if you're feeling overwhelmed and struggling to cope, please consider speaking to a professional such as your GP or a mental health provider. They can provide you with support and guidance on managing your stress and anxiety.
Reply 3
Original post by SabStayZen
Firstly, try not to focus on others and just focus on yourself. Take a deep breath. I highly suggest going for a walk or getting some exercise in, but do whatever will help you relax and de-stress. Then next time when you come to sit at your desk, just take things one at a time. Try to understand that whilst GCSEs are important, they aren't going to be the defining moment of your life or anything like that, regardless of whether they go badly or go very well, so all you can do right now is to revise the best you can with the time you have available. As far as practical advice goes with what to do going forwards:

First make a list of all of your GCSE subjects and group them into one's you are a bit more confident about and enjoy, and others that you don't like so much. For now just focus on the one's you enjoy to get an idea of the level you're working at, and to show yourself that you can achieve good scores. At this stage in the exam season, I think working on past papers would really be the best thing for you to do, so go online for the right exam board and find past papers for each of the GCSE subjects, and make some time to just do past papers (at first untimed) and then go through the mark scheme afterwards and see how you did. As you get more confident you can start doing timed practices.

Then once you've boosted your confidence a bit with those subjects, move on to the ones that you perhaps don't enjoy so much. If any of these are English/Maths, then I would prioritise those as they're a bit more important than the others, and also prioritise Science too if you can. Do the same thing, work through past papers, and make note of any topics that you really struggle with and take some time later to revise those, so that your revision becomes more focused. Eventually you'll fill in the gaps in your knowledge and also get better at exam practice.

I'd say if you can, wake up as early as possible and do those past papers in the first half of the day - I reckon you can get about 3 - 4 done, but if you only get 1 or 2 done that's still okay. Make sure you take 30-45 min breaks in between after marking them and also go outside at least once a day. Then in the latter half of the day you can go through any things you've identified that you need to revise, and then just rinse and repeat.

thankyou for the advice i really appreciate it as i was just getting stressed because i have quite a lot of content to cover but not sure how to tackle it so i'll try this method, also for sciences i do foundation combined and i need to cover quite a bit of content so at this point, would watching summary videos on the whole topic or the whole paper, and then going over stuff i didnt understand in my revision guide be a quicker, better way of revising?
Reply 4
Original post by Saeed23
It sounds like you're going through a really difficult time right now. It's important to remember that you're not alone and that many students experience stress and anxiety around exam time. It's also important to know that it's okay to not be able to revise every day or to feel overwhelmed by the pressure to perform well.

Here are some tips that might help you manage your stress and anxiety:

Prioritize self-care: Take care of yourself physically and mentally. Get enough sleep, eat well, and make time for activities that you enjoy.

Break down your revision into manageable chunks: Set small and achievable goals for each day. This can help you to feel less overwhelmed and more in control of your revision.

Award yourself after task-completion-place a chocolate or any other item of your choice,if you complete your task within a given time.

Set time for stress- before starting your studies,decide firmly to handle the stress after you study time-say half an hour.during this,think all about your fears and problems,right them down in a book/diary.then promise yourself to reply your questions or problems with a solution the next day.after writing your problems, do something productive.either go for a walk, play a physical game(football), or simply talk to a friend.

Practice relaxation techniques: Deep breathing, meditation, and yoga can all be helpful in reducing stress and anxiety.

Talk to someone: It can be helpful to talk to someone about how you're feeling. This might be a friend, family member, or a professional such as a counsellor.

Don't be too hard on yourself: Remember that it's okay to make mistakes and that your worth is not determined by your exam results. Try to focus on the effort that you're putting in rather than the outcome.

Finally, if you're feeling overwhelmed and struggling to cope, please consider speaking to a professional such as your GP or a mental health provider. They can provide you with support and guidance on managing your stress and anxiety.

okay thankyou so much because i just feel like i am stuck in a vicious cycle of stress and anxiety, which makes it hard to revise sometimes, because i really have not done much this easter(my mental health has been terrible). but i will make sure to exercise and drink as much water in order to keep myself going but thankyou so much, i truly appreciate the advice, as i will just try my best and hope for the best in my exams as that is all that i can do.
Original post by mgtyye
thankyou for the advice i really appreciate it as i was just getting stressed because i have quite a lot of content to cover but not sure how to tackle it so i'll try this method, also for sciences i do foundation combined and i need to cover quite a bit of content so at this point, would watching summary videos on the whole topic or the whole paper, and then going over stuff i didnt understand in my revision guide be a quicker, better way of revising?

Hey, I personally think past papers are always the best tool to use especially when you're closer to the exam date, because when you find a question you don't know anything about or don't quite understand then you can make a note to look at the mark scheme + specific youtube videos for it, and then move on to trying to answer other questions. By doing that for as many past papers as you can, you'll at least get enough knowledge of the paper to perform well overall. The issue with looking at summary videos on the whole paper is that it's not active learning (i.e. you're not actively working through the questions and trying to come up with answers and drawing connections, but rather just having everything told to you) so you might feel like you're learning when really you're actually not absorbing the content that much. For that reason alone I'd always say start off with past papers and then use videos to fill in the gaps.
Reply 6
Original post by SabStayZen
Hey, I personally think past papers are always the best tool to use especially when you're closer to the exam date, because when you find a question you don't know anything about or don't quite understand then you can make a note to look at the mark scheme + specific youtube videos for it, and then move on to trying to answer other questions. By doing that for as many past papers as you can, you'll at least get enough knowledge of the paper to perform well overall. The issue with looking at summary videos on the whole paper is that it's not active learning (i.e. you're not actively working through the questions and trying to come up with answers and drawing connections, but rather just having everything told to you) so you might feel like you're learning when really you're actually not absorbing the content that much. For that reason alone I'd always say start off with past papers and then use videos to fill in the gaps.

okay thankyou so much, because i never fully understood why people would suggest to use past papers as a way of revising but now i finally understand why so thankyou.
Original post by mgtyye
okay thankyou so much, because i never fully understood why people would suggest to use past papers as a way of revising but now i finally understand why so thankyou.

Yes, even if you can only do 50% of the past paper questions and the rest you have no idea, at least you will be able to focus your revision towards those questions and make progress. Stick with it and you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by mgtyye
also
thought i might add that i do care about my education and i do want to do well but my stress and anxiety has led me to be unproductive and i am just gonna disappoint everyone including myself and my friends and my teachers like i feel like this may be the end for me like there's no hope for me

Heya!
I'm sorry you are experiencing so much stress :frown: I understand exactly how you feel as I experienced this during my GCSEs, you are not alone in this!
Make sure you prioritise your self-care first. Perhaps take a few days off from revision and use the time to properly plan out your revision and get some needed rest.
Have you thought about getting some study buddies? People find studying with others more motivating and relaxing :h:
When revising, make sure to do past papers and also do them under exam conditions to get you prepared for the real thing. Once you are done, go over your answers using the mark scheme and note down WHY you lost some marks and how you can improve (you can make them into flashcards!). If it helps, Study mind has lots of free past paper resources.
As others have said, don't be too hard on yourself: Making mistakes is natural and your worth is not determined by GCSEs. Most unis will just want english and maths at grade 5 so don't worry too much if you don't get all 9s.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest