The Student Room Group

What's you're favourite thriller/horror book?

I've seen a few 'favourite [insert genre here] films' but never a book. Not sure whether this will be seen but interested to see what anyone thinks.

I personally love The Woman in Black and Dracula, when read at night especially it's hard to get to sleep after!
Reply 1
I love the girl on the train and IT. My faves but love find new books to sink into too!
Reply 2
Original post by Csc_
I love the girl on the train and IT. My faves but love find new books to sink into too!

That's epic! Never read The Girl on The Train, I might have to read that, I know what you mean about a nice new book. IT is definitely the epitome of horror haha, I read it once and could never bring myself to again, which I guess shows its brilliance!
'Before We Met' by Lucie Whitehouse
'Mirror, Mirror' by Jessica Jesinghaus
'Sleepless' by Gina Salamon
'The Devil's Prayer' by Luke Gracias
I enjoyed girl on the train, that's probably the only one I've ever read though. :yep:
Reply 5
My personal favourite is The Devil's Prayer by Luke Gracias. You should totally check it out!
Reply 6
Original post by meaganr
My personal favourite is The Devil's Prayer by Luke Gracias. You should totally check it out!

That's great! Just checked out the blurb, sounds like a really interesting and thrilling book, I'm going to have to see if I can find it anywhere near me haha. Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by parmezanne
I enjoyed girl on the train, that's probably the only one I've ever read though. :yep:

Ah very nice, The Girl on The Train definitely seems to be a popular one! Thanks, happy reading :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by {Moss}
That's great! Just checked out the blurb, sounds like a really interesting and thrilling book, I'm going to have to see if I can find it anywhere near me haha. Thanks :biggrin:

For sure! Do read it and let me know how you like it! I think it's available as an e-book as well.

I also liked the Ice Twins. Thought it was a good book. Not sure if you'd like it but you should check it out.
Reply 9
Original post by meaganr
For sure! Do read it and let me know how you like it! I think it's available as an e-book as well.

I also liked the Ice Twins. Thought it was a good book. Not sure if you'd like it but you should check it out.

Wow just checked the Ice Twins out, looks great! I think I need a list haha. Will do :smile:. Happy reading!
Reply 10
Original post by {Moss}
That's epic! Never read The Girl on The Train, I might have to read that, I know what you mean about a nice new book. IT is definitely the epitome of horror haha, I read it once and could never bring myself to again, which I guess shows its brilliance!

I would defiantly recommend! Especially if you haven’t watched the movie, then your imagination can set the scene! Yes that speaks volumes about “IT” 😂😂! Do you have any decent Thriller recommendations ?
Reply 11
Original post by Csc_
I would defiantly recommend! Especially if you haven’t watched the movie, then your imagination can set the scene! Yes that speaks volumes about “IT” 😂😂! Do you have any decent Thriller recommendations ?

Hah yes. Well as I mentioned in the OP, I do love The Woman in Black and Dracula, and the Small Hand was definitely thrilling too in my opinion. One that really sticks out for me is the Cottage by Lisa Stone, which I found really good though I know it receives mixed reviews.

While not books, the Others and the Sixth Sense are really brilliant thriller films if you ever check them out :biggrin:.
Less thriller and more horror, but Clive Barker's "The Damnation Game" has been a favourite of mine for many years.
Reply 13
Original post by Lalleighette
Less thriller and more horror, but Clive Barker's "The Damnation Game" has been a favourite of mine for many years.

That's great, just checked it out. Sounds really interesting :biggrin:
Original post by Lalleighette

I'm a fan of Clive Barker too. My favourites of his are;
Cabal
Imajica
The Great & Secret Show

Also really like the Grigori trilogy by Storm Constantine.

Quick Reply

Latest