The Student Room Group

Do I firm KCL or LSE psychology?

I got an offer from both and I'm super stuck on which I would firm.

I prefer the LSE course and the requirements are higher at LSE (AAA) compared to AAB at KCL so it makes sense to firm LSE but the accommodation is so much more expensive at LSE and I'm not that confident on that third A and I'd rather not have to withdraw and change accommodation later. Plus KCL has a more established psychology department and a placement year. I'd put QMUL as my insurance if KCL was my firm (ABB) btw.

I just feel off of their current rankings LSE is the obvious choice especially since I also like the course more and it has higher requirements but I don't want to regret my decision.

I'm still waiting on UCL and if I get into it my requirement will be BBB so I think I'd firm it anyways and put KCL as insurance even though it has higher requirements.

Any thoughts on what I should do? (and if I do get into UCL if firming it is a good choice)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by student2409
I got an offer from both and I'm super stuck on which I would firm.

I prefer the LSE course and the requirements are higher at LSE (AAA) compared to AAB at KCL so it makes sense to firm LSE but the accommodation is so much more expensive at LSE and I'm not that confident on that third A and I'd rather not have to withdraw and change accommodation later. Plus KCL has a more established psychology department and a placement year. I'd put QMUL as my insurance if KCL was my firm (ABB) btw.

I just feel off of their current rankings LSE is the obvious choice especially since I also like the course more and it has higher requirements but I don't want to regret my decision.

I'm still waiting on UCL and if I get into it my requirement will be BBB so I think I'd firm it anyways and put KCL as insurance even though it has higher requirements.

Any thoughts on what I should do? (and if I do get into UCL if firming it is a good choice)

Isn't Kings college and UCL higher than LSE for psychology?
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/best-universities/best-universities-psychology-degrees-uk

LSE seem to have emphasis on social psychology as well as the neuroscience. Have u checked the individual modules?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Dnsnnssn
Isn't Kings college and UCL higher than LSE for psychology?
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/best-universities/best-universities-psychology-degrees-uk

LSE seem to have emphasis on social psychology as well as the neuroscience. Have u checked the individual modules?

Thank you for the reply! Yes UCL is definitely better and I would firm them but I haven’t heard from them yet.

I hadn’t seen that ranking but yeah it seems Kings is higher than LSE. I prefer the modules at LSE but not by much. It’s more about the fact LSE is much higher in overall rankings than Kings but yeah I guess it’s smarter to go with Kings for psychology. Thank you!
Thank you for the reply! Yes UCL is definitely better and I would firm them but I haven’t heard from them yet.

I hadn’t seen that ranking but yeah it seems Kings is higher than LSE. I prefer the modules at LSE but not by much. It’s more about the fact LSE is much higher in overall rankings than Kings but yeah I guess it’s smarter to go with Kings for psychology. Thank you!

Please do consider other factors apart from ranking. As they are both highly ranked.

I am not entirely sure but I do have the impression that LSE isn't well placed for Psychology in London, and KCL / UCL are renowned in the field. Leaving rankings completely aside, LSE's program is different because of the behavioural sciences modules. It is a BPS-accredited course which means it has the same core modules requirements like KCL, UCL and all other BPS-accredited courses, and the difference is the elective modules where you will cover studies related to public policy, economics and society at large. Presumably you have looked at what these modules are since you have mentioned that you prefer the course to KCL's. I personally feel that the placement at KCL trumps LSE's course BUT this is because of my intention to pursue clinical psychology, and I require supervised work placement. So I guess, it depends on what you really want to do after university, and this may help you decide which course to pick.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by BubblesBB
I am not entirely sure but I do have the impression that LSE isn't well placed for Psychology in London, and KCL / UCL are renowned in the field. Leaving rankings completely aside, LSE's program is different because of the behavioural sciences modules. It is a BPS-accredited course which means it has the same core modules requirements like KCL, UCL and all other BPS-accredited courses, and the difference is the elective modules where you will cover studies related to public policy, economics and society at large. Presumably you have looked at what these modules are since you have mentioned that you prefer the course to KCL's. I personally feel that the placement at KCL trumps LSE's course BUT this is because of my intention to pursue clinical psychology, and I require supervised work placement. So I guess, it depends on what you really want to do after university, and this may help you decide which course to pick.

Thank you so much for the help! I haven’t really decided if I want to go down the clinical or marketing side but I would like to keep my options open so I think that placement year would be useful. Plus I do know Kings has modules in economics so that would always be an option. Thank you again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest