The Student Room Group

University and deferring

Hi
I’m currently in my second year of my uni course but I have been struggling with my mental health for the past year and I have been considering deferring for my last year and coming back in 2024 to finish my course. Has anyone gone through this and could offer some advice about where do I got about this, I am planning to speak to university in the upcoming week but I also wanted to know do I need to speak to student finance ? although I haven’t applied for it, for my last year or is there anything else I should know regarding deferring ?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi
I’m currently in my second year of my uni course but I have been struggling with my mental health for the past year and I have been considering deferring for my last year and coming back in 2024 to finish my course. Has anyone gone through this and could offer some advice about where do I got about this, I am planning to speak to university in the upcoming week but I also wanted to know do I need to speak to student finance ? although I haven’t applied for it, for my last year or is there anything else I should know regarding deferring ?

Hey!
I'm sorry to hear that you've been struggling with your mental health. It's important to prioritize your well-being, so deferring your final year may be a good option for you.

I would recommend speaking to your academic advisor or student services department at your university about your decision to defer. They can provide you with information on the process and any deadlines you need to be aware of. They may also be able to offer guidance on how to stay engaged with your studies during your deferral year, such as online courses or volunteering opportunities.

Regarding student finance, I would advise that you contact them as well to discuss your plans to defer. They can advise you on how it may affect any loans or grants you've received, as well as any repayment obligations.

Additionally, it's important to consider the impact that deferring may have on your academic progress, such as potential delays in graduation or future job opportunities. I would recommend discussing these factors with your academic advisor to ensure that deferring is the best option for you.

Overall, I would encourage you to prioritize your mental health and make the decision that is best for you. Remember, your university is there to support you through this process.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
This isn't deferring, it's called an interruption of study and each uni will have its own regulations on how it's handled.
I suggest you check this out before you go any further.
Where I am, the student has to make a formal application in writing to and this is considered by the Dean. Your Personal Tutor may be asked for their opinion on whether you should be granted it.
There is no right to interrupt - you have to make the case for why.
Obviously, if your academic profile is sound it's more likely to be accepted.
Original post by cheadle
This isn't deferring, it's called an interruption of study and each uni will have its own regulations on how it's handled.
I suggest you check this out before you go any further.
Where I am, the student has to make a formal application in writing to and this is considered by the Dean. Your Personal Tutor may be asked for their opinion on whether you should be granted it.
There is no right to interrupt - you have to make the case for why.
Obviously, if your academic profile is sound it's more likely to be accepted.

Thank you for taking your time to reply :smile: I wasn’t sure if it was deferring or an interruption in studies but I will make sure to speak to my personal supervisor and see what she also advises i do.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi

Hi!

I'm so sorry to hear you've been struggling so much :frown: I definitely think you know what is best for you, and I'd like to think your university will support you in making this decision.

I would definitely speak to your personal tutor about this, perhaps also your module leader. They will likely ask you if you have been in touch with the university's wellbeing team. You will also have to speak to student finance and let them know that you will be deferring and when you plan to return. You can do this by calling or emailing them, whichever feels more comfortable for you.

When speaking to your university, I would definitely try to ask for advice about what to do to make the transition from deferral back to study as smooth as possible.

I wish you the best of luck!

Estelle
Second Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending