The Student Room Group

Nursing at City university of London

Hello, My name is Kelly!! I am a student rep at City and i'm studying First year Adult Nursing.

Feel free to ask any questions about City, Nursing or anything else :smile:
Reply 1
Hello I have firmed City University of London for Mental Health Nursing can you tell me how much biology and chemistry is in a nursing degree. Also can you tell me how difficult the course is on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being the least difficult and 10 being the most difficult. How is the timetable structured etc.
Original post by katnix
Hello I have firmed City University of London for Mental Health Nursing can you tell me how much biology and chemistry is in a nursing degree. Also can you tell me how difficult the course is on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being the least difficult and 10 being the most difficult. How is the timetable structured etc.

Hello,

Congratulations for getting into the course!! Biology is one of our main subjects in nursing and the difficulty level depends on the individual. If you did A level Biology or learnt human biology in the past it will definitely help and its not as difficult as A levels. People who dont have any sort of biology knowledge or background did struggle with the content however the test are open book so you can use textbooks or notes during the test, which helps everyone a lot. As for chemistry, we only do it when it comes to basic medication knowledge but the theory is very easy to understand. We have drug calculation as well but they are basic math questions and all of them have formulas.

Course structure you will have lectures, seminars and clinical practice sessions. lectures and seminars are almost everyday and week. Lecture include the whole cohort and seminar only include your class group.clinical practice days (simprac) are sessions where you learn the skills you will need in practice such as CPR, first aid, vital signs, urinalysis ect. this will take place in uni, in rooms that mimic the ward setting. These sessions are every 2 to 3 weeks.

Personally, i rate the difficulty of the course a 6.5 but i can only speak on first year. I did A levels and for me the content in nursing is no where near as hard, however i do struggle with the coursework as i don't enjoy reading research articles but the good thing is you will only get 3 essays in the whole of first year. Just keep on top of your work, and the lecturers do guide you through these essays so don't worry. Placement is the hardest part of the course because of the long hours, adapting to a new environment, sometimes being the only student in the ward and sometimes coming across difficult staff or patients. But most of us had good experiences on our first placement and even though its hard it was our favourite part of the whole course.

Tips:
- attend your seminars to make nursing friends, so you can get help in your studies and just for moral support. Also join societies, specifically the nursing society cuz they help with coursework and other queries.
- learn how to reference and cite, or just get an idea of it because you will be doing it a lot in your essays. we use Harvard at City.
- buy a calendar and hang it up on your wall or something, so you can see all your deadlines or upcoming test.
- take care of yourself on placement.
- and start your notes early, be organise and don't just copy the powerpoints or textbooks!! the best way to learn is to understand the content either listening to the lectures and noting down key points or using youtube videos.

hope that helps a bit, feel free to ask more questions in you want!
Original post by Kelly-CityUoL
Hello, My name is Kelly!! I am a student rep at City and i'm studying First year Adult Nursing.

Feel free to ask any questions about City, Nursing or anything else :smile:

Hi!! I put City as my insurance and was just wondering about placement do we get to go on placements a lot?? As I firmed King's and the placements over there are 50% every year which obviously we get to go on placements way more, and I really was just a little worried that City might not let us go on placement for too long? Thanks! Sorry if the question is confusing! :biggrin:
Hello!!
Congratulations:woohoo: Placement time depends on what year you are in and will increase as you progress through the course. In First year you will have 2 x 5 week placements. One after Christmas and one just before summer starts. In 2nd year you will have 3 placements which will vary in time length + 2 week elective placement. Then finally in 3rd year you will 1 or 2 placements before going onto a 3 month placement (final one). You have to complete 2300 hours on clinical practice throughout the whole programme.

hopefully that was helpful, feel free to ask more questions. (Original post by username6141643)
Hi!! I put City as my insurance and was just wondering about placement do we get to go on placements a lot?? As I firmed King's and the placements over there are 50% every year which obviously we get to go on placements way more, and I really was just a little worried that City might not let us go on placement for too long? Thanks! Sorry if the question is confusing! :biggrin:
Hello!!
Congratulations:woohoo: Placement time depends on what year you are in and will increase as you progress through the course. In First year you will have 2 x 5 week placements. One after Christmas and one just before summer starts. In 2nd year you will have 3 placements which will vary in time length + 2 week elective placement. Then finally in 3rd year you will 1 or 2 placements before going onto a 3 month placement (final one). You have to complete 2300 hours on clinical practice throughout the whole programme.

hopefully that was helpful, feel free to ask more questions. (Original post by username6141643)

That's really helpful, when you're saying 3 placements in second year is that 3, 5 week placements?
Hello!

So the first two placements are back to back. you'll go to placement no.1 for 5 weeks then straight after, go to the second placement for 2 weeks. this is 7 weeks in total you will be on placement then have assessments. after your assessments you will finish the remainder of your second placement- 4 weeks.

then midway through the year you'll have a month placement then at the end of the year you will have a 2 week elective placement.

hope that made any sense to you, feel free to ask more questions or need me to clear this up a bit.

(
Original post by jnfiengiuwefn)
That's really helpful, when you're saying 3 placements in second year is that 3, 5 week placements?
Hello!

So the first two placements are back to back. you'll go to placement no.1 for 5 weeks then straight after, go to the second placement for 2 weeks. this is 7 weeks in total you will be on placement then have assessments. after your assessments you will finish the remainder of your second placement- 4 weeks.

then midway through the year you'll have a month placement then at the end of the year you will have a 2 week elective placement.

hope that made any sense to you, feel free to ask more questions or need me to clear this up a bit.

(
Original post by jnfiengiuwefn)

Hi thank you so so much!! :smile: That makes a lot more sense, quite happy with the placement opportunities at City.

I should have asked this in the previous reply, but what are elective placements? Thank you :smile:
Hello!!

so an elective placement is a 2 week placement where students choose where to go. some students choose to go to NICU, ICU, prison, plastic surgery or abroad etc. you will have to arrange these yourself, however the university will help you.

glad i could help, feel free to ask more questions:h:
Hello!!

so an elective placement is a 2 week placement where students choose where to go. some students choose to go to NICU, ICU, prison, plastic surgery or abroad etc. you will have to arrange these yourself, however the university will help you.

glad i could help, feel free to ask more questions:h:

Oh wow thank you! Is this all the same for children nursing as well? Sorry for so many questions!
Don't worry, i'm happy to answer all questions!!

yes elective placements are for all nursing fields - adult, children and mental health nursing.

Original post by username6165247
Oh wow thank you! Is this all the same for children nursing as well? Sorry for so many questions!
Hi,
City is my firm choice for adult nursing and I was just wondering what the timetable is like on a typical week.
Is it Monday to Friday or a couple days a week? Do all classes start at 9am?
Original post by Rosemagnolia
Hi,
City is my firm choice for adult nursing and I was just wondering what the timetable is like on a typical week.
Is it Monday to Friday or a couple days a week? Do all classes start at 9am?

Hello,

we are in uni 3 days a week most of the time. occasionally you will go in for 4 days if you have an extra seminar such as a lab session or clinical practice. lectures start at 9 am on most weeks and can last for 1 to 4 hours max with a break in between. then you will normally have a seminar afterwards. btw sometime lectures could start at 10 or 11am but that has only happened twice to me. an example of a typical week for me would be:

Monday: lecture 9am - 10.20am / 40 min break / lecture 11am - 12. 30pm / seminar 2pm - 4pm
Tuesday: DAY OFF or a clinical practice session 9am - 12.30pm
Wednesday: seminar 11am to 1pm
Thursday: DAY OFF
Friday: lecture 9am - 10.20am / 40 min break / lecture 11am - 12. 30pm

weeks do change sometimes but you receive the schedule for the whole year at the beginning of the course so you can plan your year ahead

Hope that helps, feel free to ask more questions:h:
(edited 11 months ago)
hi guys
I was wondering in city university is it quite competitive to get into child nursing. I didnt apply as I don’t meet the grade requirements in clearing do they take people with one grade lower.
I have taken a gap year, so I do already have my results once clearing opens up which is normally July time correct me if I’m wrong would I be able to apply straight to clearing and get a answer straight away or would I need to wait till results day when everyone else has got theirs grades to get a answer X
Reply 14
Original post by Rabiiiiiii_1
hi guys
I was wondering in city university is it quite competitive to get into child nursing. I didnt apply as I don’t meet the grade requirements in clearing do they take people with one grade lower.
I have taken a gap year, so I do already have my results once clearing opens up which is normally July time correct me if I’m wrong would I be able to apply straight to clearing and get a answer straight away or would I need to wait till results day when everyone else has got theirs grades to get a answer X

Hi, I’ve applied to city and got an offer to study children’s nursing for 2024 entry. In the selection day, the interviewer did mention that children’s nursing is a competitive course and is not usually open for clearing at city. However, as you may know, the NHS are desperately looking to recruit nurses so you still have a chance of getting in, whether it’s at city or at another university. Wishing you luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending