The Student Room Group

Any other options to graduate when I can’t attend mine?

Hello! Odd question (tho genuine) but I can’t attend my uni graduation in October (Uni of Highlands and Islands) due to personal reasons which makes me unable to fly back to the UK.

However, I heard from some people where they know some who graduated but with another university’s graduation ceremony. Is that possible to graduate using another unis graduation ceremony to have it earlier? Or is there any other options. Just exhausting my options if not then I’ll just pop a graduation robe and go to a photo studio in my home country 🤣!
Usually unis have multiple graduation dates - others normally for postgrads though. Check with them if you can go to one of those ceremonies if available?
Original post by Aurx
Hello! Odd question (tho genuine) but I can’t attend my uni graduation in October (Uni of Highlands and Islands) due to personal reasons which makes me unable to fly back to the UK.

However, I heard from some people where they know some who graduated but with another university’s graduation ceremony. Is that possible to graduate using another unis graduation ceremony to have it earlier? Or is there any other options. Just exhausting my options if not then I’ll just pop a graduation robe and go to a photo studio in my home country 🤣!

I can't imagine that one university would agree to confer a different university's degree on you!

You could ask your university if you can defer your graduation to the next set of ceremonies. I know that the university nearest me has two sets of ceremonies a year, normally in July and February (with the February set being mainly postgraduates).

In terms of "graduation robes", bear in mind that academic dress varies between universities and (within the same university) between degrees. It is possible to hire the appropriate gown/hood/mortar board outside of the graduation process; I did this because my parents wanted to get a photo taken with me and my brother in our respective academic dress even though he graduated (I think) a year after me. [I didn't attend his ceremony in academic dress; we got the photos done a couple of days later.]
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Usually unis have multiple graduation dates - others normally for postgrads though. Check with them if you can go to one of those ceremonies if available?

I've only seen October but I'll check if there's other dates thank you!!
Reply 4
Original post by martin7
I can't imagine that one university would agree to confer a different university's degree on you!

You could ask your university if you can defer your graduation to the next set of ceremonies. I know that the university nearest me has two sets of ceremonies a year, normally in July and February (with the February set being mainly postgraduates).

In terms of "graduation robes", bear in mind that academic dress varies between universities and (within the same university) between degrees. It is possible to hire the appropriate gown/hood/mortar board outside of the graduation process; I did this because my parents wanted to get a photo taken with me and my brother in our respective academic dress even though he graduated (I think) a year after me. [I didn't attend his ceremony in academic dress; we got the photos done a couple of days later.]

Yeah I suspected it would be odd for another uni to do that. But will definitely check on that. And thank you for the extra info on the robes! :smile:
I don't think you could attend another uni's graduation but most unis have a few dates or let you attend ceremonies for future years if you can't make yours. If you can't find a ceremony to go to you can always rent or buy your cap and gown and do your own celebration and photoshoot - what's what we did for my sister during covid. As someone else said the gowns are different depending on your uni and course, but Churchill Gowns have the gowns for loads of different unis and do home delivery, so you might be able to find yours there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending