The Student Room Group

picking a course

i have a couple ideas in mind about what courses i'm interested in but i'm really struggling to determine which one is best for me does anyone have any advice on the best way to narrow down my options?
Try writing a personal statement for each. Think about which one you found easier to research for and write up. That might be a strong contender for the one that suits your interests more!
Reply 2
Plan a gap year, and dont panic about applying this year.

This gives you more time to think, and to go to Open Days and listen to subject presentations, and make a more careful choice.
Nowhere does it say you can only apply to Uni straight from school.
Original post by madi_k
i have a couple ideas in mind about what courses i'm interested in but i'm really struggling to determine which one is best for me does anyone have any advice on the best way to narrow down my options?

Hey @madi_k :smile:

I'd definitely recommend open days so you can attend course talks for both options, speak to current students on the course about their experiences and ask any questions to the academics who'd be teaching you. Research into the career opportunities available for both courses, you could speak to a career counsellor as well who can help go through these options with you and give you some guidance.

Think about your interests and strengths, which course aligns more with this? Is there any work experience you can get in the areas to help see whether the field is a good fit for you?

You want to enjoy the course and be motivated to study it, so is there one you're more excited about or more passionate about? Maybe speak to friends and family and get their advice, but remember it's your decision to make, but I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you :smile:

Take your time with it!

Good luck.

Becky
Original post by madi_k

@madi_k

Think about your strengths and weaknesses. Think about what you are naturally good at and the attributes needed to study a particular subject e.g. if you like helping others, then something within healthcare might be an option, but if you find it difficult to see people in pain, then it might not be the best option.

Try and weigh up the pros and cons of the different subjects and whether they will get you to the kind of career that you would like to do. T

Try and think about how you work best. If you like writing essays, then you might want to study a subject that allows you to write. If you don't like exams and you're an ideas person, you might like to think about studying something creative. If you are very logical, you might not want to study something that is open to interpretation!

If you are struggling to get an idea of your strengths, weaknesses, interests, likes and personality, then you might like to talk to friends and family who will hopefully be able to give you some suggestions.

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Hi there!

Have you considered doing a joint/combined honours course? With joint honours courses you can study two subjects at the same time, so you can study your passions!

I was in the same boat when I was applying to universities- I really loved school and choosing one subject to pursue was so difficult! Luckily, a teacher told me about joint honours courses, and I was able to find a university that offered the two subjects I was really passionate about!

A lot of universities (including us!) offer joint honours degrees in a wide variety of subjects- here at Hope we have over 1,300 combinations- so there's definitely something for everyone.

Best of luck with your applications!

-Ella
Graduate Advocate
Original post by madi_k

Hiya! :hello:

First of all, it’s great that you are considering university I’d say that is the first step.:gthumb: From my experience, I would have a think of potential career goals and have a look to see if there is a specific degree required for that career or certain experiences. As some careers will require a specific or at least relevant degree. As well as choosing a course that relates to a potential career path I would also choose something interesting because you will be studying this for at least three years, and what’s the point if you find it boring as this can impact your motivation, studies and overall university experience as it is something you are forcing yourself to engage with. Think about what would make you happy to study. :banana:

Also, look at how you will be assessed as not all courses are exam-based mine isn’t I am mainly marked through essays, presentations case studies etc.

Do you already have work experience? Was it good? is it something you could see yourself doing in the future or at least any aspects of it? Or if it was bad, try and understand why you didn’t like it and now you know what to avoid.

If you can, try and speak to students who are studying that course this is the best way to get information about universities. We have a platform at DMU where you can speak to current students :five:, and it is really helpful as they have experience of what you are going through and can relate and tell you about their own experiences and pass on advice. Try and see if the universities you are interested in have an online platform where you can message students or try and ask students who are helping out at their university Open Days. :smile:

I would recommend Open Days for me when I went to De Montfort University Open Day I listened to the course talk, other people’s questions and also asked my own and by speaking to the lecturer I could tell that I would find the course interesting, something similar to what I was studying at college and related to a future career path of mine, it was a win win situation luckily.

Hope this helps, if you have any further questions please leave a message

Maddie :heart:
Original post by madi_k

Hi there!

Choosing a university course can be really difficult so you're doing the right thing not jumping into a degree you're not sure about! Open days at universities are a great way to see what different courses can offer you - they'll have staff there from the courses who can help talk you through everything from the course structure, to how they are examined to career opportunities at the end of them!

Open days also usually have sample lessons that you can go to so it gives you an idea of what to expect from each course and you can see if this is something suited to you!

I hope these ideas help you a little bit!

- Rebecca, 4th Year UCLan
Original post by madi_k

Hiya :smile:

You do not know how much I can relate :biggrin: I have been there and it is not an easy choice. Luckily, it is also not impossible to determine the best fit for yourself!

Being aware of the problem's universality, I committed a few hours to brainstorm and put together a comprehensive guide with the most effective advice on how to choose the right course when you do not have an idea or have to many, and how to decide on the best university. Additionally, I included real-life examples and what not to do sections to give you the best possible support. I do recommend it, and not because I wrote it (:tongue:), but because it will definitely be a great help!

Fingers crossed for you :wink: Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. You can also chat with me and other student ambassadors through The Ambassador Platform.

Julia :colondollar:
Psychology student
De Montfort University
Hello,

My name is Haya and I am a final year medical student studying at UCLan.

Something different that you can try is complete a Career Quiz ! UCAS has one https://www.ucas.com/careers-quiz.

Another thing you can do is watch different movies and identify whether any of the careers interest you, following that attend open days to find out more about the course.

We have one in UClan on the 18th of November if you would like to join :smile: https://www.uclan.ac.uk/open-days/attending-an-open-day#:~:text=Our%20next%20Preston%20Open%20Day,most%20out%20of%20your%20experience.

Best of Luck,

Haya Nasser - MBBS-5

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending